BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 04:39 PM   #1
Hayswj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default ScreenSaver in 7100t

Please Login to Remove!

I was reading through the maual again and it has the option for setting an image as the screen saver. I don't seem to have that option.. Does anybody know if this is specific to OS 4 or is it a function that T-mobile turned off? It kinda sucks to advertise it in the manual and not give it to customers. (like the view jpgs as email attachments)
Old 10-25-2004, 09:17 PM   #2
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: (¯`·.¸at&t¸.·´¯)

Seems to be in OS4
Old 10-26-2004, 02:39 PM   #3
jlhopwo

I've noticed that most of the things that tmo turns off don't make it into the manual because they publish the manual. For example, the sidekick2 had MANY features disabled by tmo, two examples are the WAP browser and MMS. These is no mention of these in the tmo-printed manual that comes with the device. However, you can get a manufacturer (Danger/Sharp) manual that shows everything. This really pissed off a lot of people myself included when we found this out. Anyways, I have a 7100t now so all is right with the world!
Old 10-26-2004, 02:48 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Although that is a valid concept, I think the differences between the manual and the device are not quite that sinister. I don't think T-Mobile had a damn think to do with it. The manual was written for 4.0; and the device shipped with 3.8. My assumption is that RIM intended for the 7100t to ship with 4.0, but the OS (and BES) aren't ready. They took the pieces that were ready, put them into 3.x and came up with 3.8. Those that didn't make the cut appear as differences between the manual and the as built device.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:17 PM   #5
calancaster

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Treo600, I think you're right. I was also frustrated by the features listed in the manual and what is actually available on my 7100t. I guess we'll have to wait for 4.0 to come out to see what features are really available.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:43 PM   #6
phalpern
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: t-mobile

So this is why all the CD help files tell me to do things I cannot find. My new 7100 just arrived with ver. 3.8.0.128. I would like to do two (2) things: first, keep the screen from going dark after a few seconds. Documentation says to go to Screen/Keyboard and select Standby Mode and put in your time. There is no Standby Mode option in that screen, just backlight.

Second, I would like to move some icons to the home screen (such as Compose) but can only move them within their subfolder. Can I promote them to the Home Screen level?

Oh, yeah -- one more thing. Is there a way to activate the darkened screen when a new message arrives? That way, I won't be concerned about Standby Mode.

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:42 PM   #7
NickFLZ

Quote:
Is there a way to activate the darkened screen when a new message arrives? That way, I won't be concerned about Standby Mode.
I use the holster that comes with the 7100t... when I remove the phone from the holster (when it rings or I get an email) it automatically turns the screen on and takes me directly to the message that just arrived. I'm not sure I actually set up that up anywhere, seemed to be default. But you're right, when it's sitting on the desk charging the screen will not illuminate on its own.

Nick

"If we do not find anything very pleasant, at least we shall find something new." - Voltaire
Old 12-30-2004, 08:06 AM   #8
El Chino
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t

Sadly, you will not be able to move the icons to another portion of the screen with the standard Tmobile theme.

There are some posts in this forum that will tell you how to install the "small icon theme" that will place all of the icons on the home screen.

The samll icon theme will make your 7100t look like the other 7xxx blackberrys that are available.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:38 AM   #9
phalpern

Model: 8700g
Carrier: t-mobile

Thanks, guys. I am supposed to be learning the 7100t so I can show it to users and answer questions for them in prep for a purchase. I am finding a lot of the documentation is incorrect (at least for the software version I have), so I'll just have to wait for 4.0 and hope it will catch me up to the documentation.

Like most folks in our position, I like to play and discover on my own, so I'm having fun just figuring things out. I cannot get from one open message to the next (yet) by pressing N (or "2" as the documentation now says), but discovered I can go to the oldest unopened message by pressing *.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:13 PM   #10
canesfins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: BTC

Any updates on screensaver with 4.0?
Old 02-05-2005, 07:36 PM   #11
jibi
BlackBerry God

Carrier: AT&T

Still no Standby mode option for the 7100t OS 4.0.0.198 from TMO. I didn't check other providers' OS4.0 releases, although I suppose I could if it came down to it.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:36 PM   #12
tbone

I noticed this when I got mine as well... the manual mentioned it but there was not an option. The more I thought of it, the less I worried about it. The longest you can go before the screen shuts off is 2mins. What good is the screensaver?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the point of it...
Old 02-10-2005, 03:51 AM   #13
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone
Thank you for being the logical person here.

I think this is one of those features that will only ever appeal to a certain pool of users. I think you can likely take a look around at the topics on this forum and figure out who would like this functionality...

Old 02-15-2005, 12:31 PM   #14
kirson
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone
Thank you for being the logical person here.

I think this is one of those features that will only ever appeal to a certain pool of users. I think you can likely take a look around at the topics on this forum and figure out who would like this functionality...

The real issue is a more basic one, and that is the existence of a "backlight" feature. Older (?) Blackberries had a basic display mode that lasted "forever" -- you could leave the device on, work on it, play games, type, surf, etc., and still only need to recharge the device every week to 10 days. The only exception was the phone -- it KILLED the power. On those devices, you could select to turn on the backlight, and that feature would go into effect for 10 to 20 seconds and then turn off. The backlight REALLY killed power, and if you used the device a lot in the dark, you could go through a full charge in 24 hours, even without the phone. A screen saver was a fantastic idea on those devices, and many of us worked on developing open source versions of such applications. Since the device was always on - meaning that the screen only ever shut off if you put it into a holster - it was nice to have a picture to look at, or a slide show.

The 7100, on the other hand, does not have a "backlight off" option -- if you use it, the backlight is on. It runs through power like a camel runs through water after 18 days in the desert. If you use the device to surf the web, or type messages, or do much of anything that keeps the screen on, you can go through a full charge in under 4 hours. This type of device HAS to shut off the screen completely almost all the time if it's to have ANY use to us at all. In this context, what's the point of a screen saver?

The real issue, IMHO, is that the 7100 doesn't have the ability to display ANYTHING unless the backlight is ON. For that reason, the battery on the 7100 SUCKS. Sure, if you want to read an email here and there, type one every now and then, it can last you a day or two. Maybe even an entire weekend (if you're lucky). But if you're a power user, you're SOL.

Combine this with a keyboard so crampped as to make typing almost painful, and the 7100t is a very poor replacement for the older 7230/6230 models. Some of the new 7100 models have the Vodafone keyboard configuration, and that looks like it could solve the keyboard issue, but the battery/backlight issue has been a real disappointment.

Just my $0.02.

Ian
Old 02-15-2005, 12:58 PM   #15
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

The beauty of free speech is that we each get to express our opinions. I think the 7100t is a superb BlackBerry. Different - yes - but superb. I like the backlighting brilliance, and I don't find the battery life any different than a Nextel or Verizon BB.

The battery life of the old 957s will never be seen again; I went two-three weeks on a charge. On the 7230, I sometimes made a weekend. With a 7100t I made two days. So you learn to charge it. When I had an iPaq, I sometimes did not make a day!

Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder
Old 02-15-2005, 02:57 PM   #16
blkberryboy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Repl.
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

"the 7100t is a very poor replacement for the older 7230/6230 models"

I didnt think the 7100 was a replacement. I thought the whole idea behind the 7100 was to bring BB to the "masses". Now I do agree the battery life could be better and the backlight option could be fixed, but I think for the most part RIM is right on target with the 7100 series.

"Thumb Bop Ba Loo Bop"
Old 02-16-2005, 09:16 AM   #17
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirson
7100t is a very poor replacement for the older 7230/6230 models
As a means of giving the general public a handset that can easily (and stylishly) double as a phone, thus driving business upwards quite a bit, its a nice alternative to the 72xx/62xx business handsets. The screen is a different type of LCD, to my knowledge (the 72xx is TFT LCD) - I think its pretty evident in the visual differences.

If someone on here knows a lot about LCDs, could you please list the specifics as to the differences between the LCD on the 7100 versus that of the TFT LCD found on the 72xx/62xx models. Power consumption, etc.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:39 AM   #18
kirson

Not surprisingly, opinions on the 7100t will differ. I, too, love the screen but hate the fact that it significantly reduces battery life. All of Mark's battery consumption advice does very little to aleviate the fact that if you use the device for 3 to 4 hours -- and I mean use it non-stop (email, web surfing, games, etc.) -- it will run out of power. I wish there was a way to turn off the backlight, and be able to use the device in a well lit environment for much longer. That was how I would use my 7230. Not perfect, but pretty good.

As for the keyboard, I can't understand how anyone enjoys typing on the 7100t -- the tactile response is very poor and the fact that the keys touch against each other makes typing by feel very difficult. Moreover, the INSANE placement of the ALT and SYM keys next to each other make it EXTREMELY difficult to go to the symbol screen, which unfortunately is needed quite often.

Now, like most of us, I am truly impressed by the SureType technology. Although typing in names and web/email addresses can be a bit tedious, it works really well overall. HOWEVER, and I'm sure you guys have all seen this, there are around 8 or 10 pairs of extremely common words that have the exact same key stroke combination. I can never remember them to give examples, but SEE and ARE is one pair, BIT and BUT is another. Actually, any word with I and U interchanged will fit the bill (FIND/FUND, etc.). So, while I am impressed with the technology, I still miss the good old QWERTY keyboard on the 72xx/62xx devices.

And just to finish off the thought, I KNOW that nobody is forcing me to use the 7100t. But I really want a slimmer form factor than the 7230. And I really want BT. And the multiphonic sound. So, like many of us, I am looking for the perfect converged device. And like most of us, I haven't found it yet.

I will try the Treo650 when it gets Blackberry service -- but to be honest, the whole concept of a hard reset that kills the data on the device scares the bejeezes out of me. I will also try the Benq P50 if it ever comes in from the vapor realms. And I will keep on trying all the new RIM devices -- one of these days, someone will get it right -- at least right for me

That's my rant...I could be wrong...

Ian
Old 02-16-2005, 11:53 AM   #19
jibi
BlackBerry God

The Blackberry Connect for PalmOS was released to a limited beta customer pool yesterday, I believe. It will most likely be backported to the current PalmOS and Treo 600, from what I hear. Just a cheaper suggestion (which I may end up taking).

A common issue I get when typing messages is the following sentence:

"I'm ducking tucked off"

:D
Old 02-16-2005, 05:37 PM   #20
kirson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
A common issue I get when typing messages is the following sentence:

"I'm ducking tucked off"