Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaTaX View Post
I'm wondering if a new version of MML will make it out for the new devices.... And if it does, if a simple change of the carrier ID would make the other bands available or selected. Not sure, never played with that on previous models, and really have no desire to do it now because my BB is working just fine!

Something fun to play with, but really if you're buying a phone for a specific carrier you are MUCH better off just buying the correct device even if it costs slightly more. Once you hack up a product you're pretty much on your own with little to no official support.

Not everyone is an expert on these topics and this area of the BB is best left alone by anyone but an advanced user. This is an area where you really can brick your phone with no recourse after it happens....
Well put . Better leave it to the pros!
Old 12-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #42
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I thought discussion of that software illegally obtained from RIM wasn't allowed here.

Guess the rules have changed.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #43
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile

I think most people that really have a desire to kill their phone can find that software, but fact is there is no software currently out there that's leaked that can work with the newer models. And if they were to clamp down on illegally obtained software discussions with a heavy hammer then that whole "Beta you then me" forum might be in trouble.

Also, links to the "leaked" BB OSes have been quietly popping up around here from many people including mods. I think they have loosened up a little bit, and as long as they don't draw unwanted attention from employees of a certain company then it's all good.

I find the people on this board are a little more realistic then some of the posters on pinstack or crackberry. They would be all gung ho about getting their hands on an engineer's software tool without regard that 20% of the people that download it could very well kill their $200-$500 investment.

Hopefully I'm not busting rules by posting the limited information I have, but if so.... moderators please delete my offending post(s)!!!

Last edited by HaTaX; 12-09-2009 at 05:12 PM..
Old 12-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #44
ariekierz

PIN: N/A
Carrier: ICE

HI, I bought an unlock Tmobile 9700 in the USA, as I live in Costa Rica. Just found out that the Tmobile won't connect to the local 3G Network as it is a 850 mhz. So I also have to change the bands from 1 4 8 to 1 2 5 6.

Is it possible? Or should I try to exchange the phone?

I try the alt + shift + H to access the engineering page, but I only was able to acces a help page with data.

Can someone guide on how to try to change the bands?

thanks
Old 12-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #45
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariekierz View Post
HI, I bought an unlock Tmobile 9700 in the USA, as I live in Costa Rica. Just found out that the Tmobile won't connect to the local 3G Network as it is a 850 mhz. So I also have to change the bands from 1 4 8 to 1 2 5 6.
Is it possible? Or should I try to exchange the phone?
I try the alt + shift + H to access the engineering page, but I only was able to acces a help page with data.
Can someone guide on how to try to change the bands?
thanks
Hmm, I think a few of these posts that are quite recent answer your question.... From the first page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
So after reading this thread from the beginning you ask how do we proceed with swapping the firmware.
To repeat - you cannot take a T-Mobile 9700 and magically upgrade it to run on Rogers.
Read the thread from the beginning.
*SNIP*
I know it's not Rodgers you're trying to run on, but same basic principal applies to most every carrier. That band is what T-Mobile US uses, and if your carrier is on a different band, you need a new phone or a new carrier.

Other posts addressing this exact issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor464 View Post
Correct....it is firmware controlled. Not software controlled. Therefore by updating your software from say "rogers os 5.0.0.xxx" to "tmobile os 5.0.0.xxx", its not going to change the frequency bands.
*SNIP*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaTaX View Post
Yup! As said above, it's a portion of the BB that cannot be modified by anyone but RIM. This is also where the carrier power on image is stored, the GPS lock that Verizon used/uses, and other carrier specific "hard coded" settings.
*SNIP*

Last edited by HaTaX; 12-10-2009 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: Removed extra line feeds from posts. Looked too long to me...
Old 12-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #46
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T

Wow!! Not searching for an answer first is one thing; but when you respond to a thread that you haven't even read..........all I can say is WOW!!!

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 12-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #47
johansson

Carrier: Orange Dominicana

I'm in a similar situation like the costa rica guy ( or maybe worst ), there's only one company with 3G in Dominican Republic, and guess what?

OK, keep laughing, but in the plus side, 3G service maybe is cheaper as dust in USA, but here is ridiculously expensive...
Old 12-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #48
tom0100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-mobile
Default Just sell it or deal with edge

The are a whole lot of posts BUT the phones are produced for each network (with different 3G bands). No, a Tmobile 3g phone will not have "full" functionality on another network. The phone will work fine but will only be capable of utilizing Edge data speed data. MANY blackberry users are happy with this (half the blackberries only used Edge). You can also use the wifi data when near an access points. THERE ARE MANY Iphone users on T-mobile (using 'jailbroke' Iphones) but guess what? They can't access 3G either cause it's a ATT device for ATT 3g bands. BUT the Iphone is fully functional as a Edge speed device (and wifi) on T-mobile and people accept this.

BUT you bought a phone that was meant for ONLY T-mobile (if you want 3G). RIM isn't gunna change it 'cause you got it on Ebay.

If you want it to work with your network...sell this one and buy another on Ebay. Fastest way you are gunna do it....
Old 01-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #49
hcheun
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I think the reason why T-Mo uses AWS 1700 is because they couldn't afford or find a reasonalbe spectrum within 800 , 850 or 1900 for them to transmit data on. As you can tell they don't even have any 700 MHz LTE or 4G spectrum as well. Everyone can debate that it's technical, and it's because that they want to bolster competition and make sure they lock in customers, but really think about it, ATT and Verizon were the only ones to have the cash to get those spectrums, no one else.

With that new DOCOMO Tri/quad band radio they're going to propose to the IEEE may solve the 3G jumble hopefully in future blackberry's and other devices, or at least inspire other companies to do the same so we don't have to mess with putzing around in our phones.

Last edited by hcheun; 01-12-2010 at 01:46 PM..
Old 01-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #50
jeffro01
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2277C472
Carrier: At&t (Company)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcheun View Post
I think the reason why T-Mo uses AWS 1700 is because they couldn't afford or find a reasonalbe spectrum within 800 , 850 or 1900 for them to transmit data on. As you can tell they don't even have any 700 MHz LTE or 4G spectrum as well. Everyone can debate that it's technical, and it's because that they want to bolster competition and make sure they lock in customers, but really think about it, ATT and Verizon were the only ones to have the cash to get those spectrums, no one else.

With that new DOCOMO Tri/quad band radio they're going to propose to the IEEE may solve the 3G jumble hopefully in future blackberry's and other devices, or at least inspire other companies to do the same so we don't have to mess with putzing around in our phones.
Ugh... Here we go again... There was NO spectrum in any of the other bands to purchase. Do you honestly think that this situation is ideal for T-Mobile? Those spectrums, specifically 800\850 were purchased 20 years ago by legacy carriers that eventually morphed into At&t and Verizon. T-Mobile didn't choose to be in this position, they played the hand they had. This would all go away if someone, somewhere would develop a software controlled radio. Until that hits the market, which we have been promised for some time now, the situation is what it is.

Jeff
Old 05-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #51
blade725

Model: 9500
Carrier: cingular

I have a solution to change the firmware and effectively change the band.

This will solve the T-mobile 9700 problem and also At&t "sim-call barred" issue.

If you live in BC, Canada I can do test units for you.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #52
yanks731
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade725 View Post
I have a solution to change the firmware and effectively change the band.

This will solve the T-mobile 9700 problem and also At&t "sim-call barred" issue.

If you live in BC, Canada I can do test units for you.
ok, i'll bite. how? after reading the entire thread, it has been determined that it isnt possible. so again, i will ask how?
Closed Thread