Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
No you will need to remove 4.2.
So the process would be:
1) uninstall 4.7
2) install 4.2
- check to see if it accesses the Internet
- synchronize my phone (contacts and calendar)
3) uninstall 4.2
4) install 4.7

I've got to leave the house tonight but I'll try this in the morning and post my results unless I've not listed the process correctly above and see a follow-up post with corrections.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #23
Tim C.

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A

By the way, is there a way to set up my profile on this forum so that I get a notification e-mail when a post is updated by another member? I'm a member on other forums that have that feature but I couldn't find the setting on this forum.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:36 AM   #24
itsrlong

Model: 8330
Carrier: AllTel

Anybody got a fix or workaround for this yet? I'm not plugged into a USB hub or anything and still get this. I was working fine before I updated to 4.7 today. Can't remember what version I was at before, but I do know that it was newer than 4.2 spack2....
Old 12-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #25
grey123

Model: storm

I've also had this same error "Your computer must be connected to the Internet" after installing DM 4.7 for my new Storm. This is my first BB device, so also my first time installing DM on my PC. Over the coarse of the past few days, I've tried all the recommended solutions (uninstalling/reinstalling, disabling virus software, disabling my firewall, blah...blah...blah) and nothing let me make the connection to sync my Storm. Then...for other reasons, I went back and installed V Cast with Rhaopsody from the white Verizon CD (after DM 4.7 was installed and still getting the "Your computer must be connected to the Internet" error message). A few minutes later, I hooked up my phone to transfer files to the data card and I tried the sync button (just for fun) and it worked. It's continued to work for a few days now with a number of re-boots to the PC.

I'm no techy and I have no idea (or concern) if installing V Cast was what fixed this issue, but it works now. You might want to try it if you haven't already installed this piece of software.

Grey
Old 12-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #26
Tim C.

Model: Storm

Well, nothing was working for me. It was time to do a wipe of my hard drive anyway so that's what I did. After that everything works fine after I installed DM. Pretty radical but I was due for the cleaning so was a good thing overall. Hope the solution gets posted here for anyone that doesn't want to wipe their drive.

Tim
Old 12-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #27
charltond

Model: 8320
Default Same situation - unable to connect defeats sync setup

Verizon BB Curve DM 4.7 Disabled Firewall.
Have installed and reinstalled 3 times.
THis is the last time. I have deleted all folders with RIM, BB or Roxy names including those in the \Common\ folder and TEMP folder.

David
Old 12-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #28
charltond

Default Last chance failed

OK, I uninstalled Desktop manager, deleted program folders and \Common\ folders, deleted every key in the registry with Research In Motion or BlackBerry. Turned firewall and anti virus off. Opened all ports on the router.

Installed Desktop manager. No joy. Same "must be connected to the internet" error. 6 hours of time with tech support from Verizon and my own attempts to repair, down the tubes.

I turned the blackberry back to verizon. Cancelled the account. Expressed by views. And bought a G-1. Smooth as silk.

Don't know if RIM monitors this issue but it has cost them a long time user and advocate.

David
Old 12-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #29
bfb024

Carrier: verizon

I am having the same problem as you guys are, and have tried all the mentioned solutions to no avail. I've looked at several other forums/blogs as well and haven't found a good solution there either. I have a Storm (first BB) and Windows XP on my desktop, which is what I want to use. However, I also have a laptop w/ Vista on it. When I go through the process with Vista, everything works great. Also, as I look through these threads, it seems like most commonly the problem occurs when the OS is XP. Has anybody had this problem w/ Vista as their OS?
Old 12-20-2008, 10:12 AM   #30
jrizal

Carrier: T-Mobile

Same problem here. I was able to use it (v. 4.7) on my 4GB Eee under XP SP3 but can't do it using my Toshiba Satellite using the same OS.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:36 PM   #31
bfb024

Carrier: verizon

I installed Vista on my desktop to see if that would resolve this issue, which it did. Blackberry might want to look into whether there is something inherent in the XP software that is preventing this from working properly, but that was fixed in the Vista software..
Old 12-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #32
jrizal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrizal View Post
Same problem here. I was able to use it (v. 4.7) on my 4GB Eee under XP SP3 but can't do it using my Toshiba Satellite using the same OS.
I found out what was the problem. It was the firewall. I installed (Comodo) and reinstalled it and everything is fine now.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #33
charltond

Default Which firewall

Which firewall was the culprit? Windows Firewall or did you have some third party firewall or one in the router? I have tried putting my computer on the other side of teh DMZ on my DLink router and that had no effect. I have also turned off the Windows and NOrton 360 firewall, also with no impact. Any suggestions?

David
Old 12-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #34
charltond

Default New information regarding "must be connected to internet"

Continuing my exploration, I downloaded wireshark to watch the traffic between desktopmanager and the licence server. The logs show that the failure comes after I connect to the blackberry site, so I am connected to the interent, despite the error. The BB site sends a SSL request, which is failed by my computer, reported as a TCP checksum error. THis is weird because I can connect to my bank and many other https sites, just not Blackberry. I have read that corrupted certificates can cause https errors so I went into the console manager, loaded the certificate manager addin and deleted all certificates. No impact on the problem.

I am not expert enough in the field to know where to go from here other than format and start over again. Any late breaking suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe this will point someone in the right direction. What could cause selective TCP checksum errors on specific sites?

David
Old 01-10-2009, 01:45 AM   #35
pauly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve

I got this problem too. Got a new T-Mobile Curve and can't get sync'd. Anyone come up with something yet?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:50 AM   #36
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Have you tried removing the DM and all the settings and try and re-installing it.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #37
cathimac

Model: 9500
Carrier: Digicel (Bermuda)

I have the same problem with my new 9500 Storm. I installed 4.7 DM and it says i am not connected to the internet. All i want to do is get my Outlook 2007 Calendar to sync up with my BB.

Can someone please help!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #38
pauly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathimac View Post
I have the same problem with my new 9500 Storm. I installed 4.7 DM and it says i am not connected to the internet. All i want to do is get my Outlook 2007 Calendar to sync up with my BB.

Can someone please help!!!
Attention all users with this problem, I had success synching my new Curve using DM 4.2 sp2. I was trying with 4.5 and 4.6.

This was attempted after much research which stated that 4.2 does not look for an internet connection. I am using Outlook 2003. Don't know if it will make a difference on 2007 or other versions. As a matter of fact I just sync'd again before coming on here.

Spread the word.

T-Mobile had no clue.

RIM refers me to T-Mobile unless I pay them.

I saw occurrences as far back as May 2008

Why is there no fix for this yet?

(large font is so this won't be missed)

Good luck

Last edited by pauly; 01-13-2009 at 02:17 PM..
Old 01-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #39
cathimac

Model: 9500
Carrier: Digicel (Bermuda)
Default Dm 4.2

I will try that again, but it did not work. Apparently it will work with all other BB, but not the Storm. I will let you all know if it works.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #40
rugmankc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell

Any update on this or are some people just screwed.

I wanted to get a bold soon and assume I need at least 4.5 for all features to work.

May have to sell my Sony laptop, BB and go Apple.

Ken