BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
curtislemansky

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Smile iMobiMac BB/MAC Tethering Solution To Launch July 31st!

Please Login to Remove!

Many places are reporting that us Mac users are going to finally be able to use our BB's as a tethered (USB) phone as a modem for the Macs.

I have heard also that there are confirmed reports of this working on 7520's, 7100's, 8700's, 8830's, etc.

The good thing about this, besides the obvious of finally being able to use this, is going to be able to avoid the additional tethering fees that cingy and verizon charge ( )

I can't post links here, but if you go to BGR, BBCool or BerryReview, the info is there.

And the main webpage is imobimac (dot)com for those of you who wanted to go to it directly.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:48 PM   #2
ggoodale
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default iMobimac are a bit aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtislemansky View Post
Many places are reporting that us Mac users are going to finally be able to use our BB's as a tethered (USB) phone as a modem for the Macs.

I have heard also that there are confirmed reports of this working on 7520's, 7100's, 8700's, 8830's, etc.

The good thing about this, besides the obvious of finally being able to use this, is going to be able to avoid the additional tethering fees that cingy and verizon charge ( )

I can't post links here, but if you go to BGR, BBCool or BerryReview, the info is there.

And the main webpage is imobimac (dot)com for those of you who wanted to go to it directly.
Apparently, iMobimac thought they could get more exposure by posting an explicitly commercial comment on my blog (which gets a fair amount of tethering-related traffic). Companies that try that sort of thing to drum up business aren't worth you money, IMO.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:58 AM   #3
ptrewhella

Carrier: Sprint
Thumbs down iMobiMac -- A Complete Waste of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoodale View Post
Apparently, iMobimac thought they could get more exposure by posting an explicitly commercial comment on my blog (which gets a fair amount of tethering-related traffic). Companies that try that sort of thing to drum up business aren't worth you money, IMO.
Yeah, I actually tried out the app, and was completely disappointed to discover that, although they advertise it as DUN, it in fact is not. It is a glorified HTTP proxy server. You have to run an app on the BB, and an app on your Mac. Then, you configure every application to use a proxy server (that is the Cocoa app that runs on your Mac). This, of course, has obvious limitations. It only works with applications that can tunnel network traffic over HTTP. I have numerous applications that don't. Yeah, okay, I can browse the web and chat using various messengers, but what if I want to open a VPN tunnel? They did make an exception for POP and SMTP ... the Cocoa application (proxy server) allows you to port forward for POP and SMTP. So, for example, you can configure your mail application to use port 10110 for POP, and it will forward the requests to port 110 on the target e-mail server. Now when I am back on a normal network, I need to reconfigure the ports that my e-mail client uses for SMTP and POP. Lovely. And what about IMAP? Sorry, you're outta luck there. You will also need to uninstall any kernel extensions that are activated when your BB is plugged in (PocketMac, MissingSync) ... yet another configuration burden. Now when I want to sync, I must re-load the extensions.

Yes, I got my hopes up too soon on this, thinking that someone was finally writing a kernel extension, perhaps using I/O Kit, so that I could have DUN using my BB. It was not to be. Oh, and when I posted a comment asking about the limitations on their forum ... they did not respond. Instead, they deleted my post . Oh, well ... just one more reason to return this phone.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
mtaylor

Model: 9630
Carrier: verizon

What about mobishark? (website: http://www.mobishark.com/). In the "HOWTO: Use BlackBerry As Modem For Laptop!" thread this is referened as the tool to get around Verizon's $15/month tether fee.

Anyone tried this? I have a Moto Q now and want to switch. My only holdup is I do not want to pay a tether fee.

Cheers!

-Matt
Old 06-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
mapin

Carrier: Verizon
Default imobimac

I just installed imobimac on my macbook b/c bluetooth tethering with my T-Mobile BB 8100 sucks (they have a bug in their firmware that requires me to remove my BB's battery after each connect).

Any way, for users that just want web access i think imobimac works great and reliably. I configured Firefox to work with it and I've have zero problems. It doesn't work if you have PocketMac installed as was noted above, but it DOES work if you use Missing Sync (which is what I use anyway).
Old 06-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
castyourstones
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 32c2a2a0
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I just pay for the tethering. it's worth it.
Closed Thread