Old 09-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #41
presb2k

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewaked View Post
Of course I did. On the Mac, I tried selecting the "Mobile Phone" option as the device I was searching for, and then I select "All Devices" to be searched. I kept tinkering w/ both the BB and the Mac -- turning bluetooth off, toggling between discoverable on and discoverable off, and so forth. Absolutely no luck!

same story with me. I have tried pocketmac, receiving the "skipping error" every time. im sure theres some mino detail im overlooking, but i have spent way too much time trying to sync my contacts and cant get it.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:59 PM   #42
cadetdrivr

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker123 View Post
Even though I'm new I hope that you don't mind that I'm doing this post. I hope to give back by contributing. I know there are more knowledgeable posters on this forum and I would appreciate any additions to this thread.
Thanks a MILLION!!!

I picked up a 8830 from Sprint today and am now typing this using your instructions on my new MacBook Pro.

As additional info for those with difficulties I have used the built-in OSX scripts of "WWAN" and "Sprint PCS Vision" both with equal success which just confirms that no custom script is required for the 8830 and OSX 10.4.10 with Sprint. FWIW, I downloaded the custom script linked above in the thread (the blackberry 3g something-or-other) and it did not work.

Cheers!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #43
ddalet2000

Model: 8900

What are you guys with sprint using for Account name and password? I've tried everything I can think of and I can't get this to work.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:21 PM   #44
rdukes22

Carrier: vzw

tried following all the steps...got to step 9...when i click on the phone icon...it only gives the internet network scroll down...and i'm not sure of what password...my voicemail password? that's the only password associated with my account at verizon...
so that's where i'm at...
thanks for the help if you can...

rob
Old 09-12-2007, 03:29 PM   #45
rdukes22

Carrier: vzw

i can only get to step 9 before i run out of options that are on the directions...
i tried everything and can't get it to work with verizon at all..
Old 09-13-2007, 07:01 PM   #46
gautamg2

Carrier: Sprint PCS
Default Getting Spring to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayK View Post
Here is the solution for those people having problems tethering their Sprint Blackberry 8830 to their Mac (or PC). If you are using the WWAN Support script (this is the correct one by the way) for the Mac (using bluetooth) and you are connecting and then disconnecting with the log saying that the script failed, it's a provisioning problem. If you are attempting to hard tether your 8830 to your PC and getting a #678 error, it's a provisioning problem.

Call Sprint and tell them to push your provisioning again. After almost 2 weeks of horrible tech support, I finally found a guy that was OUTSTANDING! He covered every angle and got it re-provisioned and it worked perfectly. He also fixed my text messaging on my account. I can't tell you how different this call was from all the others. I'm writing his supervisor (and cc'ing him) about the excellent job he did. That phone call was going to be my last ditch effort with Sprint before chucking them, he saved their continued business with me.
I am waiting on hold with Sprint and have yet to find a (or maybe, the) helpful person. Can you please let me know the name of this person, so that I can ask for him when I call?

Thank you.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:25 AM   #47
yikes

Smile

This thread was incredibly helpful in setting up Bluetooth between my Mac and the 8830.

I would like to echo the prior comments about *provisioning* being the problem resulting in the "NO CARRIER" messages. Half of the Sprint droids would not talk to me because I had a Mac. Finally, on my fifth call, I reach a knowledagble representative who told me, within 10 seconds, that he knew exactly why I couldn't get on-line. "Looks like they never added the tethering component of the BlackBerry plan...". He had me instruct the phone to re-provision, after which I was good to go!

I'd also like to echo that pretty much every modem script works...
Old 09-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #48
gautamg2

Carrier: Sprint PCS
Default Blackberry working with Sprint as modem

I also got my Blackberry 8830 working by asking Sprint to "push the provisioning." Thanks for the help.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #49
vwong

Carrier: Bell

hey guys, so i just got this blackberry 8830 from bell mobility (canadian version) and i'm having difficulties setting up the tethering...

is it going to be different to tether compared the the U.S models? I tried using bluetooth and usb... i also downloaded the pocketmac for blackberry...

nothing seems to be working, does anybody know what i can do to get this to work?

thanks.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:05 AM   #50
sunpgh

Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddalet2000 View Post
What are you guys with sprint using for Account name and password? I've tried everything I can think of and I can't get this to work.
I leave those 2 fields blank. #777 for the phone number, and it just works.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:08 AM   #51
sunpgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker123 View Post
First of, I want to say this is a great forum. I love macs and I love BBs

Although I'm new I hope that you don't mind if I start a thread that would consolidate some of the different threads about the tethering your Mac to the Blackberry 8830. I'm not adding a new information but hope to make it easier for those that are looking for the information to come to one thread that they can use. Okay here it goes.

[...]

I hope to give back by contributing. I know there are more knowledgeable posters on this forum and I would appreciate any additions to this thread.
1) I'm new too
2) Thank you so much for helping me get this working!
Old 09-20-2007, 07:00 PM   #52
ggoodale
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

A quick note: I believe the speed of the tethered connection is artificially limited by the modem script you're using. If someone could test this theory for me, try the following steps:
  • Download the following file: CDMA EV-DO script
  • Copy the "CDMA EV-DO" file into /Library/Modem Scripts on your Mac. (You'll be asked for your password.)
  • Change the modem script you're using from "au CDMA 1x WIN W01K" to "CDMA EV-DO".
  • Try connecting. If you're successful, try running a speed test from someplace like speakeasy.net.
Please post the results here.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:00 AM   #53
robertw

Default successful tethering

Well, thanks to everyone's posts and a little tinkering, I am tethered and the speed is amazing. I too wonder why someone would need imobmac. One question though, my vpn does not seem to be working with tethering so that means I will not be able to get my mail this way. Any suggestions or thoughts. thanks
Old 10-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #54
papp1chu

Default thanks so much to everyone in this board

i folllow the directions and was able to use my phone as a modem. Thanks so much to everyone here helping out. Cstumer service at sprint sucks, when you call ask for a bb expert and make sure that your voice plan works with the bb unlimited plan for 39.99, otherwise you will not be able to get the right plan for bb. The person that signed me up for my voice plan had no idea that everything for bb is different than all the other sprint phones and signed me for the wrong plan so even though i had follow every instruction to the key it still didn't work. good luck to all and thanks again
Old 10-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #55
maltman

Carrier: verizon

i am trying to tether my macbook to my bb 8830 using verzion. I have the tethering feature and have followed the steps as stated in the original post.

I get the message Mobile Modem Enabled on my bb, however a few seconds later on my laptop i get the message authentication failed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:49 AM   #56
niteryder

I have a MacBook Pro and the 8830 World Edition on Sprint. Works great! I get about 300kbps down and 115kbps up. Nice post.

**EDIT**

I just put 10.5 on my Macbook Pro and it works great as well. They now included a Sprint PCS modem driver, quick and painless..

Last edited by niteryder; 11-02-2007 at 03:07 PM..
Old 11-03-2007, 03:46 PM   #57
AuroraProject
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

I can't get my 8800 to connect to AT&T using Leopard, do we still need a modem script? If not what are the settings?

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #58
dlsanders1957

Model: 9800
PIN: 22CA6CEA
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltman View Post
i am trying to tether my macbook to my bb 8830 using verzion. I have the tethering feature and have followed the steps as stated in the original post.

I get the message Mobile Modem Enabled on my bb, however a few seconds later on my laptop i get the message authentication failed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I just upgraded my MacBookPro with Leopard today and finally got my new 8830 to tether using bluetooth.

You have to do the bluetooth settings in your system preferences and for Verizon use #777 for the telephone number, account name is your tel#@vzw3.com, and the password is the logon password you use with your Verizon account.

In the advance settings under modem select vendor: other and Model: Verizon 1xEVDO Modem Script.

Once your 8830 is paired when you go to connect it should get an access request from your Mac before it connects.

It works great with my MacBookPro and is even faster than the lousy hotel wireless where I'm at right now.

Enjoy, if it works for you.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #59
peterparker123
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8730

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Sorry I've been gone so long from the thread. I've been busy with family and work - have a newborn at home. Anyway in the meantime I have switched providers from Sprint to TMO. I have an 8320 so I will be working on connecting using the 8320. I will also be adding to the previous thread connecting via Leopard. I appreciate all those that have added to the thread.

I'm sorry to those that sent me a message. I will reply and will answer your questions if you still need help.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #60
caliope77

Default cannot tether with ibook G4; sprint no help

I have the sprint 8830 paired to the laptop. With WWAN I dial #777 with fields blank and there's a message saying "dialing PPP" and then a window pops up "modem error." Unlike most people on the thread I seem to have slightly better results when I use my sprint blackberry sign in name and password rather than leave fields blank. Then the bluetooth light on the phone comes on, the phone says "modem mode enabled" and I can see that they are exchanging data but about 25 seconds into dialling it cannot complete the connection and gives me the same modem error. Yes, I ve tried with sprint vision and WWAN; yes airport is off. Sprint 'techs' tell you right off that I should not be using it with a mac bc they are not compatible which does not reflect my experience. Help! I otherwise love this phone but I'll have to return it if I can't resolve this issue.
Closed Thread