Old 12-23-2009, 03:37 AM   #1
rollerkitty

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default unlocked T-mobile 8500 works on Rogers but not in US with Rogers SIM

Please Login to Remove!

Hey All,

I bought an 8500 from T-mobile when I was living in the US. When I moved back to Canada I asked for (and was given) the unlock code. My phone works great on the Rogers network in Canada, however I can no longer get it to work on the US, even when I select AT&T manually (the carrier that Rogers has a roaming deal with). This includes all functions - phone line, my BB data service, etc. What can I do to fix this?

m.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:47 AM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

Keep network selection on auto. Don't do manual.

What messages do you get when you are in the US? And are you sure its US roaming?
Old 12-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
rollerkitty

Whether I try manual or auto, I get the same result. The signal indicator has a red X over top of it and it says "SOS".
Old 12-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Is your Rogers SIM provisioned for international roaming?
Old 12-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520

You should get an sms when you go into the US prompting you to purchase a roaming package and letting you know of possible roaming charges.

If your not getting this, then there is definately an issue. As dc/dc already asked, is it provisioned for international roaming?
Old 12-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
rollerkitty

thanks! it turns out Rogers was supposed to have turned off the block on international roaming that they put on all new subscribers for the first 3 months, but for some reason they didn't for me... so they say it has been lifted now. I won't know for sure if everything's working OK until the next time I'm in the US, but hopefully it should be OK
Old 12-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerkitty View Post
thanks! it turns out Rogers was supposed to have turned off the block on international roaming that they put on all new subscribers for the first 3 months, but for some reason they didn't for me... so they say it has been lifted now. I won't know for sure if everything's working OK until the next time I'm in the US, but hopefully it should be OK
Ok great! Let us know how it works out next time you're down our way.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
tom0100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mobile
Default USA and Canada border

Traveling to (or living near) Canadian or American borders can be difficult. Your phone will frequently pickup the strongest signal (USA tower or Canadian). I have been to cities where Canada is just across a river, lake (you name it) and the phone attempts to connect to the Canadian tower because it thinks I've gone International (because I have this 'feature' activated on my account)...well this creates a big bill for me. I'll rather stick with a weaker American tower near the border because it's INCLUDED and is not international. I would contact the phone company to clarify that the phone will go international correctly. A friend of mine had his international calling turned off because he always connected to Canada (when near the border) and he had HUGE bills BUT he was never actually IN Canada...their signal was just stronger near the borders.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom0100 View Post
Traveling to (or living near) Canadian or American borders can be difficult. Your phone will frequently pickup the strongest signal (USA tower or Canadian). I have been to cities where Canada is just across a river, lake (you name it) and the phone attempts to connect to the Canadian tower because it thinks I've gone International (because I have this 'feature' activated on my account)...well this creates a big bill for me. I'll rather stick with a weaker American tower near the border because it's INCLUDED and is not international. I would contact the phone company to clarify that the phone will go international correctly. A friend of mine had his international calling turned off because he always connected to Canada (when near the border) and he had HUGE bills BUT he was never actually IN Canada...their signal was just stronger near the borders.
Your post is not related to this topic. Thanks!