BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
1cyril1

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone Ireland
Unhappy Show "My Number"

Please Login to Remove!

In recent days people I call tell me that my number appears as 'Private' rather than displaying my name. I've had the Pearl for a few months and this has not been an issue until now.

Working in a large organisation one always suspect that the techies have changed some config setting or other when an unknown issue suddenly appears - maybe not. I've double-checked that Show My Number is switched to Yes (also Restrict My Identity is set to No - don't know if that's relevant). I've seen other posts re. Smart Dialling settings but don't know if relevant here ... country code is set ok.

My next step will be to remove the battery and re-boot - this seems to work for some apparently intractable problems!! Before I resort to such last-gasp efforts does anyone have other suggestions/ideas?
Old 04-13-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Helno
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Cingular

who is your carrier? Cingular/ATT offers a 'feature' that lets you block your Name. If you have web access to your account, make sure this hasn't been checked, or call customer service and ask them if it is active.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

cyril, Try the reboot option, yes. And, yes it could be an IT policy.

Also, look at Options, Advanced, SIM Card and make sure your phone number is entered there.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
Ciera

Carrier: T Mobile

Try pushing the green button on your phone and then options and then general options. Make sure where it says "Restrict My Identity" it says no. If it says yes then that may be why it was doing that???
Old 04-13-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Thanks, Ciera. The original poster stated at the top that was set correctly.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
1cyril1

Thanks J - my phone number is NOT there, just a very long "ID" ... 19 digits (not the IMEI or PIN). I'll let everyone know if a re-boot does the trick later!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
1cyril1

Default Show "My Number"

I'm back .... alas, several re-boots have failed to resolve the problem The search continues so if anyone has new suggestions....??

Last edited by 1cyril1; 04-17-2007 at 08:59 AM..
Old 04-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #8
alwin Dyson

PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
cyril, Try the reboot option, yes. And, yes it could be an IT policy.

Also, look at Options, Advanced, SIM Card and make sure your phone number is entered there.
Thanks for the info, half the geeks in O2 in the UK are trying to solve the MY NUMBER issue for me 11/10 top guy
Old 04-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cyril1 View Post
I'm back .... alas, several re-boots have failed to resolve the problem The search continues so if anyone has new suggestions....??
Cyril... maybe I missed it if you stated you have done so, but at Options, Advanced, SIM Card, enter your cell phone number there.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #10
1cyril1

... yep, see my reply to you on 13th April.

In Options/Advanced/SIM Card I do get an option to Edit SIM Phone Number which prompts me to enter a "SIM Phone Number" but I'm loathe to interfere with the 19 digit number already there!! Remember, name display wasn't a problem until recently and I doubt greatly that anyone changed my settings (from the server)!

If I decide to enter my telephone number do you know what format is best e.g. + versus 00 prefix? I'm assuming the 19 digit code is a security/PIN number? if it is, would my "SIM Phone Number" be added as a second entry if I proceed?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #11
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Cyril,.. I read your 13 April reply, that you see a 19 digit number, that is the SIM ID #. Which is why I asked the question again. You want to edit and input your phone number. It will NOT interfere with the ID#.

I am not sure about Ireland, but I would advise to enter the phone number without the country code. Enter your country code in the Smart Dialing feature.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:02 PM   #12
1cyril1

Thanks J ... really appreciate all of your help on this!

I've loaded my number both with/without the leading '0' (Smart Dialing already has +353 for country code; area code is blank). I also re-booted again, just to be sure, but alas no success yet. I'm waiting to hear back from our techies so they may have another angle on it.

Note: one advantage of entering my Phone No. is that I can see it at top of screen when the green button is pressed (lest I forget ). I get a short 'registration' email each time I change the number but am hoping this won't be repeated after each re-boot.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #13
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

OK, well, you are getting there. Try it a couple different formats, for instance, in mine, I have the leading 1 in front of our area code.

I am pretty certain the lacking phone number is the issue restricting your ID showing to others.

Last edited by JSanders; 04-17-2007 at 03:21 PM..
Old 04-17-2007, 04:00 PM   #14
ccvalentine

Model: 8100c
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

Hi there. FYI, there is a known bug out there in Cingular's switch that is causing your phone number to appear as private. If anything has been done to your account within the past two weeks or so, then it would have caused this issue. I had the same problem with mine. You'll need to call your provider (whether that be a direct Cingular store or an authorized retailer) and have them remove the Per Call Blocking Feature (for now) and that should fix your problem. After Cingular is able to resolve the feature problem, the rep will then need to add it back to your account.

I hope this helps!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 04:14 PM   #15
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Thanks ccvalentine. The user is on Vodafone in Ireland, in this case, however.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:41 AM   #16
1cyril1

By way of wrap-up on this .... all is well again, the phone provider reset my SIM card at the request of our techie folk. Based on other posts it would appear that the provider should be the first port of call for all similar probs!! Not only that but be persistent as my company has had to do to resolve what had been considered "random anomalous issues" - riddle me that;-/

Many thanks for all the helpful suggestions on this - greatly appreciated!
Closed Thread