BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
GIjoe

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default If now wifi & Cam.. I am going to defect to WM6!!

Please Login to Remove!

So I went and looked at the 8800, then back to my T-mobile store to look at the Dash... I am sorry, but I think I am just gonna have to pass on the 88** for T-Mobile if it doesnt have wifi and a camera... I have the 8100 now, I love it, except there are just those days where I am very annoyed at suretype.. a Qwerty just makes me smile!
Old 02-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Ok.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I find SureType a brilliant and fast input method. I truly enjoy the benefits it has to offer.

As a result of this new technology, I can enjoy a small BlackBerry which is faster, more stable and reliable that any other smartphone I've used. Which have been Treo's, Moto-Q, & Blackjack, all with full qwerty keyboards. Yet all with various bugs in the OS, causing freezes, or other operational problems which usually occur just when I'm in the middle of an important email.

Because of BB's ability to multitask, provide push mail, and great internet connectivity, I can get more work done in a shorter period of time. And in the process, have the peace of mind that it's not going to let me down.

Cheers...
Old 02-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
GIjoe

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

I guess the Cam isnt the issue with me, its the lack of WiFi.. I just dont like giving my money to manufacturers who really dont listen to their customers. It is obvious that business type users DEMAND WiFi in there new smart phones. Also hearing about structural problems with the device is making me worry it will turn out to be like an MDA(crap). I will surely take the 14 days to really compare the Dash to the Pearl and keep which ever one works the best. I do like suretype, but man it gets annoying getting half way through an email and seeing that 3 or 4 words are not what I intended, like "I will ARE you soon" instead of "see". And if T-Mo does come out with a WiFi version soon, I will most likely give it a try.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Good luck with WM and the Dash.... See you back in a few months
Old 02-25-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

I really don't get all the "must have wi-fi" people out there. Not saying that you don't need it but, for me, it's definitely not a must have on my device.

I drive around quite a bit for work and find myself in places where I can't get a signal now and then. But, pretty much where ever I can't get a signal, I'm not gonna find wi-fi either.

The camera is a nice option but, again, on every camera phone I've owned, I never use the camera. And, when I'm going to take a pic, I usually want to use my digital camera rather than my phone.

It's just my two cents. You know what features you want and can live without. It just bothers me a little to see reviews bash the 8800 (or any phone for that matter) cause they don't have wi-fi.

Good luck with WM6. I do like the Dash but I don't think WM6 is going to make the device any more stable. Like LunkHead said, see you in a few months...lol

I've left the board for a BlackJack and 750 and now I'm back
Old 02-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: T + PINT = QUART

***moving to "Other Handhelds" forum***
Old 02-26-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
CanuckBB

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

I really don't get the 'must have Wi-Fi' And no, business customers are NOT demanding Wi-Fi.

I start with the premise that with the screen size on the device, browsing is limited to the odd time. Then I'm ususally not in range of a Wi-Fi access point. Plus, most hotspots charge you anyway. Add to that the concept that most business users get their bills paid for by the company...
Old 02-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
blackninja
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700G
Carrier: Tmo

hey, I don't blame you. I was really looking forward to either 8800 or 8820 having wifi & cam. suretype is ok, but I would like to have qwerty action again. I basically just want a full qwerty version of the pearl with premium speaker (like the new 8800's).

goodluck!
Old 03-10-2007, 01:59 AM   #10
ETPhoneHome
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800

You want to understand the "must have wifi"? I have no coverage at my house. I can get in my car and drive down the road and get coverage, but at my house it's like a wireless black hole because of the geography. So if I want any coverage at all I HAVE to have wifi and if t-mobile offers hotspot@home could I receive calls at my home and potentially replace my telephone connection with my cell phone. That's why I "must have wifi".
Old 03-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #11
noeffectx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: 123456
Carrier: T-mobile

when you move to WM6 sell me your bb mmkey?

http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackberry/
Old 03-15-2007, 09:31 AM   #12
Halford
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETPhoneHome
You want to understand the "must have wifi"? I have no coverage at my house. I can get in my car and drive down the road and get coverage, but at my house it's like a wireless black hole because of the geography. So if I want any coverage at all I HAVE to have wifi and if t-mobile offers hotspot@home could I receive calls at my home and potentially replace my telephone connection with my cell phone. That's why I "must have wifi".
Maybe you can move the mountain that is blocking the signal... There are builders who want dirt... let em take it out..
Old 03-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #13
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
Good luck with WM and the Dash.... See you back in a few months

Pfffttt!!! And have fun with the resets!!
Old 03-15-2007, 04:26 PM   #14
archer6

I just literally "gave away for free" my new Blackjack that was the last WM device I own. I bought it new a week before I migrated to the vastly superior BlackBerry Platform.

Just why did I give it away? Even though it was in perfect condition. It was a 10, on a scale of 10. With all packaging, plastic bags, papers, original box, you name it. Just as fresh and new as the day it was setup out of the box.

Here's why. I could not in good conscious ask for money, to actually sell it to someone who would be on the recieving end of such a dreadful device fraught with problems.

Note: This was my second brand new one, as the first one also had a miriad of problems far too numerous to get into here.

Suffice to say, that I feel for those who are pulled in by the masterful marketing that suggests this is a "cool" new device that will rival, or outperform the BB much less any other smartphone.

It was the worst experience, and the best. The best because it really caused me to appreciate the world class performance, usability, reliability and speed of any of the new BlackBerry models.

And WM6 is nothing more than a little rev, of little consequence. (And believe me I'm not an anti MS zealot)

I'm afraid that Microsoft has a very, very long road ahead if they are to improve the WM platform enough to be truly compelling, reliable and useful.

Cheers.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:33 PM   #15
aristobrat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
I find SureType a brilliant and fast input method. I truly enjoy the benefits it has to offer.

As a result of this new technology, I can enjoy a small BlackBerry which is faster, more stable and reliable that any other smartphone I've used. Which have been Treo's, Moto-Q, & Blackjack, all with full qwerty keyboards. Yet all with various bugs in the OS, causing freezes, or other operational problems which usually occur just when I'm in the middle of an important email.

Because of BB's ability to multitask, provide push mail, and great internet connectivity, I can get more work done in a shorter period of time. And in the process, have the peace of mind that it's not going to let me down.

Cheers...
Brilliantly said.

Unfortunately for most, it's one of those life lessons that they have to learn first-hand.

The grass isn't greener on your side of the fence until you've been on the other side for at least awhile. ;)
Old 03-15-2007, 10:06 PM   #16
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
I'm afraid that Microsoft has a very, very long road ahead if they are to improve the WM platform enough to be truly compelling, reliable and useful.
RIM's market share is roughly 7.5% of the worldwide smartphone segment while MS owns 16.9%. With all the new entries this year, maybe RIM can also experience the same 80% Y/Y growth that MS had in '06.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:50 PM   #17
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Market share has *nothing* to do with the usability of a device... Windows has a choke hold on the world....
Old 03-17-2007, 10:55 PM   #18
backbeat
No longer Registered.

So Blackberry is a victim?
Old 03-17-2007, 10:58 PM   #19
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

How do you possibly infer that I said Blackberry is a *victim*????????

What I said is easily reviewed in post # 17.................................
Old 03-17-2007, 11:05 PM   #20
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
Post #17 - Market share has *nothing* to do with the usability of a device.
Tell that to Symbian.

Quote:
Post #17 continued Windows has a choke hold on the world....
So Blackberry is a victim?
Closed Thread