BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 06:41 AM   #1
freddyb

Default Upload images to Blackberry Device

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

Is there anyway to upload images from your computer to the blackberry device using the usb data cable. I Have the Blackberry 7100v.

Thank You
Old 03-09-2005, 08:03 AM   #2
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

No unfortunately not at the moment, you can email yourself the image (.jpg format) as an attachment, open and save.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:03 PM   #3
ins0mniaque
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100r
Default Without a web browser?

I have a BB without a Data plan (for now), and I would like pictures...

How are the pictures stored once on the blackberry?

Are they .cod files that could be sent?
Can you backup them up using the "Backup and Restore" of the Desktop Manager and send the backup files?

tia
Old 03-16-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
ssalvi

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch
No unfortunately not at the moment, you can email yourself the image (.jpg format) as an attachment, open and save.
What is the preferred file size on the Jpg's? Image dimensions & total size?

Scott Salvi
MassDigitalMedia.com
Nextel Blackberry 9700
Old 03-17-2005, 11:39 PM   #5
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

With picture attachment viewing, it doesnt really matter what size the photo is. The Blackberry downloads a thumbnail (for lack of a better term) and formats it to view on the device. When you save it, they are quite small, usually just a few K.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:43 PM   #6
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

do people just not know how to use forums? i mean, seriously.. there is a search function. have we lived in the cyber barn for the last few years and just now leaving amish country? this is only the 400th time this question has been asked (and the questions following it).

(sorry finch, i know you're trying to do your job here and helping out, but good lord, don't answer this question... its encouraging to those who would rather do more work by typing out a new thread rather than typing in one word and searching the forum.. heh)
Old 03-19-2005, 07:03 PM   #7
MCW

Lightbulb Photo transfer to Blackberry

Actually there is a way but it takes money. I have been searching for the same solution that RIM neglected to consider when they put the Pictures app in 4.0.

Here is what I found:

GTPhoto is a MIDP java application for the BlackBerry that turns your phone into a image library. JPEG Images are transferred from your Windows machine and your phone using a USB data cable.

Images much larger than the screen and can be viewed using GTPhoto's pan and zoom features. The actual size limit depends on the device.

Scrolling works using either the wheel or the game keys. Roll the wheel to scroll up and down, shift-roll does left and right.

The Zoom feature lets you zoom out on larger images, keeping the viewpoint centered. There is also a Fit to Screen option to quickly scale the image to the screen as shown to the side. Last, there is both 2x and 4x digital zoom.

Last edited by MCW; 03-19-2005 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: Remove mktg speak
Old 03-19-2005, 07:11 PM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
do people just not know how to use forums? i mean, seriously.. there is a search function. have we lived in the cyber barn for the last few years and just now leaving amish country? this is only the 400th time this question has been asked (and the questions following it).

(sorry finch, i know you're trying to do your job here and helping out, but good lord, don't answer this question... its encouraging to those who would rather do more work by typing out a new thread rather than typing in one word and searching the forum.. heh)
Clearly the Search function does not appear to work, or is currently invisible. This is not just at this forum. The damn thing doesn't work on any BlackBerry forum. I think the guys that write the forum/bulletin board software should be shot for not even bothering to include a search function.

;)
Old 03-19-2005, 08:39 PM   #9
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie
Default jibi why do you bother - sizing info for those that care

Jibi if someone asking a question without a full search bothers you, just move on. Let people learn here. I for one often don't have that much luck with the search function.

I am sitting here right now with Photoshop open figuring how to be make homescreen shots. Here is what I did:

Screen size appears to be 260 x240, so I cropped to 195x240 and then added back a 65 pixels at the top. For Photoshop users that's the canvas size command. Seems to make a perfect wallpaper. I uploaded the to my smugmug gallery and then downloaded from there on the BB. Only issue is smugmug names them with numbers and that's how they end up on the BB. Don't think I can rename them there.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:09 PM   #10
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Jibi if someone asking a question without a full search bothers you, just move on. Let people learn here. I for one often don't have that much luck with the search function.
my issue is more with the clutter that multiple (and by that, i mean literally 40 threads with the same question because people are too lazy to try finding the answer through searching). occasionally, there are legit and original questions. but for the simple basic stuff (how to download ringtones, how to download wallpaper, how to send an email, etc), a search should be the first thing ventured.

this is one of a few online communities that i visit just about each day if i have the downtime to do so. i contibute my share of information on this forum, as well. when you say 'move on' or 'just don't look at the thread', then i have an issue with that. its basically you stating 'don't look at the garbage piling up in your neighborhood playground, just ignore it if you don't want to see it'. so more and more keeps getting piled up and pretty soon the see-saw can no longer been found.

if people would have the common courtesy of searching and finding answers rather than polluting the forum with the same question rehashed over and over, then this forum would be a much better information and knowledge sharing resource and repository, in my opinion. hope that makes sense.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:24 PM   #11
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie
Default So jibi what if we work together

Some of this basic stuff should be stickied. There is alot in the tips I posted but can't there be a forum for first timers with the very basics stickied at the top. That might help some. What ideas should be presented to Tom the site owner. You have some good points; the question is what can make the site better.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:27 PM   #12
jibi
BlackBerry God

i don't think stickying multiple threads is a good idea. sticky threads are often considered unprofessional, especially from a website that is a professional front (such as this one). i run an events website and i do sticky various weekly events going on in the area in my main forum. but i think stickying threads here, unless they are something like Mark's FAQ thread or temporary stickies for hot topics (such as the ADPCM thread) are good ideas.

i think the BlackBerry Guides forum (which does exist here, and is likely along the lines of what you were talking about) is a good idea, and perhaps should be updated with more than just FAQs and walk-throughs, but it still won't help fix this issue. those same people who do not take time out to search for an answer definitely won't take time out to actually read through for their answer. and those same people are the ones who are trigger happy about creating a new thread, so its most likely useless to even think they'd read a sticky thread, even if it was bolded in a 72px font.

keep in mind that not all forums would have the need for searching for an answer, but support communities, such as BBF.com, do. there's no hope to deter these types of people on an initial post, but maybe after being razzled a little, they can understand that there is something called forum etiquette and maybe they'll learn the application of said feature in a future forum experience, with this forum or another.

Old 03-20-2005, 07:38 PM   #13
Coupdetat

Model: 7520

To add to the above, searching can be a pain if you don't know exactly what you are looking for. Last week I saw a post regarding speed tests of different blackberrys, today, using search, I could'nt find it. I know it was a speed test, but it may have been worded test your speed, or how fast is your berry.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:58 PM   #14
jibi
BlackBerry God

a neat little feature of the search is how to it displays the results - either in thread mode (which can be hard to decipher, since not everyone actually puts a properly descriptive thread title) or in post mode (which is a preview of the post matching your search criteria).

i agree completely with you about wording. but for topics such as the ones about wallpaper/images and ringtones, i think its fairly easy to think of words to look for.

here's another thread that shows off the talents of those who just got a new blackberry and doesn't know how to search prior to asking a rather elementary question that has been rehashed over and over.

as for your searching woes, just search for 'speed'.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...ighlight=speed
Old 03-20-2005, 08:18 PM   #15
Coupdetat

Model: 7520

you found it.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:12 PM   #16
jrhett

Model: 7100T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
if people would have the common courtesy of searching and finding answers rather than polluting the forum with the same question rehashed over and over, then this forum would be a much better information and knowledge sharing resource and repository, in my opinion.
yes, but the search function in these forums is unlike anything I apparently know how to use, because I routinely do searches, find nothing, and then look into the forums and find the answer very deep in a thread.

And the site isn't indexed by any search engine I can find, otherwise I'd just use Google to search the site

Here's some searches I've done recently that returned zero results:

GSM audio
GSM and audio

Uh... so if you do two searches for words that should definitely appear somewhere in these forums and you get zero results, you assume the search is broken.

The second factor is that the site prevents you from doing more than one search per minute:

Quote:
This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds before submitting another search. You have 40 seconds to wait before another search will be allowed.
So before you get on your high horse and whine and complain about people n ot searching, why don't you take the topic up with the people who run the forums instead to improve the search mechanism?
Old 03-21-2005, 10:58 PM   #17
GTNTP

Model: 7100t

jibi,

I thought I would be the OLD grouch on this server, but I guess you have taken that roll for the moment. Look, I guess I am one of the ones you are complaiing about with the ringtones. I am not new to forums and did do a search and did not find what I needed through the various serches that I did BEFORE posting. This is an information forum, in that, if you have a question that you can not find info on, you ask it here and you get seasoned people to respond.

I agree with Stinsonddog, if you do not like the post or feel it is redundant then go to the next one. It will very quickly float to the bottom abyss not to be seen from again. The thing that happens in these type forums is that you seasoned guys forge that you had basic questions when you were new to the device and did the search but did not find what you needed. Let the moderator make the judgement call as to if the posts are valid or not. I have valued your input to my posts and hope you keep them coming as I ask future questions. Thank you for taking the time to help me in my newbie role at the moment.

Take this post for example we have not totally answered his question but have digressed on to another subject.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:12 AM   #18
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhett
The second factor is that the site prevents you from doing more than one search per minute
I agree with you completely on this and I have spoken to Tom about it. The general thought is that it'd put too much stress on the MySQL database. I'll see if he can loosen it up a bit just during a test phase. We'll see. Tom knows the hardware behind the site and its limitations... The traffic load and number of search requests could, in fact, cause a strain on the MySQL database, but its fairly optimized with vB3 to take some fairly heavy hits (depending on the hardware).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhett
So before you get on your high horse and whine and complain about people n ot searching, why don't you take the topic up with the people who run the forums instead to improve the search mechanism?
Here's how vBulletin's search function works. There are two tables in the MySQL database called word and postindex. In the word table, for each plain text word, it has an associated wordid. In the postindex table, it has that wordid associated with a postid. These are the two largest tables in the entire database.

Now, considering when vBulletin was implemented on this side, I believe it was done with a 4-letter minimum for indexing. Since then, its atleast at 3 letters (which, in turn, causes a bit more strain on the database, since its adding to both of the above tables, thus making longer search times since its more information to sort through). When you change the number of possible letters, it reindexes the database for the above tables.

I do not see where any issues with the conversion from a phpBB database to a vBulletin database would be the cause of missing word indexes. This forum software involves a fairly simplistic and effective search function. If something is not working properly, or perhaps one of your searches didn't return information that you can show that is somewhere in a thread/post, then please post a thread in the "Site Suggestions, Problems" forum - thats is purpose, no?

Believe it or not, I know a <tad> about vBulletin and MySQL... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTNTP
I agree with Stinsonddog, if you do not like the post or feel it is redundant then go to the next one
The issue with this is that soon these type of forums become nothing more than the same few questions over and over. If you go look on IMDB's forum for the movie Sin City, you will see the same question asked over and over again about Quentin Tarantino's involvement as a guest director. This is the same effect here when people ask the same question over and over about the simple thing such as ringtones or wallpapers/pictures. I'm all for helping people out, but I would also like to have competent co-users who can use the search function to atleast get some reward out of the fact that they possibly have found the answers to their own questions. Its similar to having a neighbor who piles trash out on the lawn, in my opinion. We're all members of this community, so lets not trash it with the same questions over and over. This is less about *****ing and more about caring (in a weird, sadistic sense). You say this place is a community of information, but what good is that when people cannot even have the capacity to use it for said information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTNTP
Take this post for example we have not totally answered his question but have digressed on to another subject.
To answer his question, without a 3rd party midlet (GTPhoto), no. Pictures cannot be natively uploaded to the phone via the data cable, bluetooth or any other means aside from downloading from a webpage or receiving it through email (for those with BES 4.0 and/or BWC/BIS 4.0).
Old 05-27-2005, 03:59 PM   #19
BillG

Model: 7230
Default Removed

Last edited by BillG; 05-29-2005 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: Removed
Closed Thread