BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
Chado

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular
Default Moving a Domino Mail File to another Domino server.

Please Login to Remove!

Ok I need to move a user to a new Domino Mail Server. When I did this on my own, I had to eventually reactivate b/c I didn't receive any new messages. I might have been a bit impatient and jumped the gun on the reactivate.

Here's the Question, other than changing the Server within the user properties, is there another setting that needs to be changed. Will this even work or is it best to reactivate the user after their mailfile is on the new server?

I am just trying to set expectations for the user.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:11 PM   #2
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

All you have to do is update the person doc. But the change only take effect when the person doc on the BES is updated. Our admins move users from server to server all the time.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:00 PM   #3
BlackBerryLinks
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone

Don't know wich Domino version you have but in 6 you have in the administration client the option to move a user to another server for selected users. The Adminp process do it then all (creating a replica, change person doc, change location doc on client and change even the icon).

Regards,
Bob Hillesum
Old 10-05-2005, 12:16 PM   #4
Chado

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by x14
All you have to do is update the person doc. But the change only take effect when the person doc on the BES is updated. Our admins move users from server to server all the time.
I guess that is what I am confused on. Say I make the change in the NAB, replicate to the BES Domino Server, all is good. My confusion begins on when the BES actually picks up the update. What process is used for that and can I facilitate this?
Old 10-14-2005, 08:38 PM   #5
TheBerryGuru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

Depending on what version of BES you have and the circumstances BES should eventually re-read the updated info from the person doc. If it does not you can clear the UNID field from the the users Profile Doc in the profiles database and the restart the BES. This will force BES to re-read the person doc for the user.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:13 AM   #6
devendra

Model: 7100t

would we clear the UNID field on the the BES Domino Server or on the server which their mail file is located? I am running BES 4.0 SP3 and Domino 7 on my BES server..some of my servers are running Domino 7 and some are running Domino 6.5 which due to hardware issues, can not be upgraded beyond that. When mail files have been moved from the 6.5 server to a 7 server, the mail file location does get replicated to the new location on all of the servers, but domino on bes spits out error messages stating unable to open mail file, file does not exist and points to the old mail file location..
I have restarted domino on bes and that take care of the issue, but is there a way to resolve this without restarting domino?
Old 11-22-2005, 12:20 PM   #7
x14

You're over complicating the process. All you have to do is update ther person doc, make sure the Domino Directory on BES gets updated. The BES process will read the update immediately and start polling the new path. All you have to make sure of is that BES can connect to the new mail server.

We just recently migrated about 100 people to a new mail server. Didn't have to do a think in BES.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:48 PM   #8
devendra

new to domino so trying to understand it fully..The person docs are in fact updated and reflecting the new mail file location on all of the servers, ie replication is working. So what is it on the Domino directory that needs to be updated?

BES picks up the new location on some of the mail files, but some, it doesnt still tries to look at the old location a day later, even though the person doc on BES is pointing to the new file
locations.

Domino on BES spits out errors unable to open mail file....file does not exist.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:09 AM   #9
boma0021
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

did you move this user to a new domino domain?
if yes you have to manually change the directory server for the user.
just change to one server in the correct domain.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:23 AM   #10
noname

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel
Smile ... actually a few steps need to be coordinated

I do not have access to my BlackBerry Manager now, but logically you should be doing this...

Assuming the user move is on the same Domino domain,

(0) Inform user that he will not be receiving email on his BB for 1 hour
(1) Disable the user temporary on the BES
(2) Start moving the user in Domino Admin client
(3) Update the person doc on the Domino Directory on BES
(4) Perform a manual replication to ALL servers
(5) Restart BES
(6) Re-enabled user back in BES

Note: BES will attempt to perform configuration and update for any changes in the Domino Directory on the BES.

If anybody can try out my suggestion, do let all of us here know the outcome!

-= noname =-
Old 11-23-2005, 08:48 AM   #11
devendra

user is on the same domain, just moving to another domino server..mail is moved using adminp and replication is performed on all of the servers..but domino on bes still looks for the mail file in the old location..restarting domino on bes does take care of it, but that is the step i want to avoid..
no need to disable redirection on the user acct in blackberry manager..
Old 11-23-2005, 09:22 AM   #12
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Moving users from ServerA to ServerB thru the AdminP process is only completed up to the "Replace Mail File field" step. A user must authenticate with their HomeMail server for the process to run to completion. This is required so that the location documents in the Personal Address books are updated.
The following is a sequence of events leading up to the process completion...

Timing for moving a mail file from one server to another
Request Timing
1. Check mail server's access Immediate
2. Promote new mail server's access Immediate
3. Create new mail replica Immediate
4. Add new mail file fields Immediate
5. Monitor new mail file fields When the router recognizes the new mail server for the mail file.
* User must Open mailfile on Original MailSErverA

a.) Replicate names.nsf & admin4.nsf to serverB.
b.) At serverB. issue command Tell AdminP process new
c.) Then Replicate Admin4.nsf back to SErverA.

Note: The Monitor new mail file fields request ensures that the two new fields (New mail
file and New mail server) have been added to the Person document on the new
mail server. If those two fields are not listed in the Person document of the
new mail server, then the 'monitor new mail file' fields will not spawn the
replace mail file fields request.
6. Replace mail file fields Immediate
7. Push changes to new mail server Immediate After Router on serverA sees Person document has changed

a.) User file Db Open mailagain serverA. (may not need this).
b.) REP admin4.nsf & names.nsf from ServerA to ServerB.
c.) To make quicker can Tell router to Quit on ServerB. Then Load Router.
8. Get information for deletion Interval
9. Approve file deletion Administrator's discretion
10. Request file deletion Interval
11. Delete mail file Interval
12. Delete unlinked mail file Interval
13. Delete obsolete change request Daily

Supporting Information:

The "Push changes to new mail server" request occurs when the client connects to their home mail server. There are several conditions that can cause this step to fail:

1. The client does not have access to admin4.nsf. (i.e., the default access to admin4.nsf is No Access).
2. The current location does not list the person's current mail server in the Home/mail server field.
3. The current location specifies that an ID file be used that is not the current one being used (rare).
4. The client has set the update flag on the current location to not allow Administrators to update the settings in the location.

Once these conditions are met, you can re-run the Replace Mail File fields request. This will cause the client to react to an updated timestamp in the Person document and create the Push Changes to New Mail Server request.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:39 AM   #13
x14

Quote:
Originally Posted by devendra
new to domino so trying to understand it fully..The person docs are in fact updated and reflecting the new mail file location on all of the servers, ie replication is working. So what is it on the Domino directory that needs to be updated?

BES picks up the new location on some of the mail files, but some, it doesnt still tries to look at the old location a day later, even though the person doc on BES is pointing to the new file
locations.

Domino on BES spits out errors unable to open mail file....file does not exist.
Ok, this is a different issue. I think you have Wireless Addressbook Sync enabled. BES is still looking for the addressbook on the old server. Go into the BES Manager, open the user and check his PIM Sync setting. I bet under "Address Book" the location is pointing to the old server. If it is, just update the location.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:32 AM   #14
devendra

correction, administrator wrote an agent to move the mail files over from 1 server to another..previously was using adminp to move individual files..

actually for some these users, users we are not synching their address book...and for those who we are, we have not changed their address book location..their local address books are being replicated to a directory on the bes server and the bes manager syncs it from that location...

it is the mail file that does not get polled from the correct location unless i restart domino on bes..

Last edited by devendra; 11-23-2005 at 11:35 AM..
Old 11-23-2005, 12:38 PM   #15
dev
CrackBerry Addict

The "Location Document" is located in the Personal Address book.
Is the name of the "Home Mail Server" in the Server tab in the Personal Address book the same as that listed on the "Person Document" in the NAB?
The only way a user's mail file will be polled is when the user has a BES account, and the BES server looks up the user's mail server location from the person doc.
The BlackBerry Enterprise Server Software uses the Person document in the Domino Directory to resolve server/mail file locations for a user.

It reads the mail file name and location from the Domino Directory under two conditions.
1.When you start the BlackBerry Enterprise Server
2. When the user's profile account document is modified in the BlackBerry profiles database (BlackBerryProfiles.nsf)

The BES add-in task when loaded, looks at the Profiles database and loads all the UNIDs into memory and compares them to the NAB.
The following link may shed some light on the issue....
http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...35940&vernum=2
Closed Thread