BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default OS Upgrades from Providers: Why/Why Not?

Please Login to Remove!

I'd like some edification on OS upgrades as far as getting them from one's service provider vs. other sources.

I'm using BB Curve 8320 from T-Mobile, with OS version 4.2.2.180. In surfing the forum, I see that OS upgrades are available from some sources that are versions higher than what I have installed. However, the version I have installed is the highest currently offered by my service provider.

Two questions...

1) Why is it that T-Mobile does not offer the latest OS if it's out there? I realize that there are provider-specific programs embedded in OS versions offered by a service provider, but still, why the apparent lag behind what's currently available? Is it just because they just haven't yet gotten around to embedding their proprietary features into the latest OS versions?

2) Are there and disadvantages to installing a newer OS version that is NOT supplied by one's service provider?

I'm pleased with what I have so far, but some of the features contained in later OS versions about which I've been reading (such as voice note recording) are things I'd like to have.

Shall I just wait until T-Mo catches up, or install a newer OS version and take my chances as to how it will work?

THANKS!

Coatesville, Pennsylvania USA
(Suburban Philadelphia)

Last edited by Bobb; 08-31-2008 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: spelling correction
Old 08-31-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
cde3879
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: 255432B2
Carrier: Orange UK

With (1) I am guessing that each provider probably has a testing/QA process with the new OS releases so that they can verify that they're not going to negatively affect the operation of services on their network. Some networks will go through this process quicker than others so I guess that may account for the difference.

Not sure about 2.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
noelstrom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Upfrading OSs then going back if you're not happy is a fairly easy thing to do IF you follow the instructions to the letter. I went from 4.2 on my Pearl to a beta 4.5OS. Never had a problem. I have since gone to a few official releases, and now am running a beta again. Other than a few odd quirks - such as occasionally slowing up - but nothing a battery pull doesn't cure.

I say go for an upgrade. If you don't like it, you can always go back.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
mizditz101
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhne
Carrier: AT&T

1) It seems to me that every company has a trial period for new software. Basically just to make sure it's fully compatible with all their junk. Some get the software and I guess work fast, others (tmo) are slow. I face this issue too haha!

2) I updated my pearl to the newest 4.5 out, and I'm not having many problems. The only real problem I've ever ran into when upgrading to another company's OS release is if you don't delete the vendor.xml file (it explains it in the OS posts) you get a fun little error during install.
Other than that, once installed it will load your tmobile stuff, and it's business as usual.

If you want to use a newer OS, go ahead! Most issues that you can come up with are ones that some one else here as already experienced and answered, so you're never far from help. And as someone else mentioned, if you really don't like it you can always go back and downgrade!
Old 08-31-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I feel the opposite. No real reason to upgrade until my carrier releases it. And even then, I might not. In my mind, if what you are using now ain't broke, there is no real good reason to try to fix it.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-31-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cde3879 View Post
With (1) I am guessing that each provider probably has a testing/QA process with the new OS releases so that they can verify that they're not going to negatively affect the operation of services on their network. Some networks will go through this process quicker than others so I guess that may account for the difference.

Not sure about 2.
Your answer is exactly correct. We see these same delays with devices being certified on a network. AT&T & Bold.....

As for your second question. No, there are no disadvantages. Go for it and have some fun.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

2. Your carrier probably won't support another carrier's OS. No big deal -- load your carrier's release if you end up in such a situation. I've never had to do this over the years. YMMV, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
I feel the opposite. No real reason to upgrade until my carrier releases it. And even then, I might not. In my mind, if what you are using now ain't broke, there is no real good reason to try to fix it.
If I felt that my carrier had a clue I'd agree with you. However, I'm with at&t.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:00 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

unless there is a network or sim card issue, there is more help here than your service provider. It's safe to load any OS...
Old 08-31-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

T-Mobile seems less concerned with Blackberrys than many other carriers. It's low on their priority list, IMHO. No need to wait for them though. Load the latest as per the sticky at the top of the 8300 forum. It's all good!
Old 08-31-2008, 06:12 PM   #10
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post

If I felt that my carrier had a clue I'd agree with you. However, I'm with at&t.
So am I. And why do you fell they do not?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Closed Thread