Old 05-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
25firechief
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Pearl Went In The Drink Today, Help

Please Login to Remove!

So this afternoon, I was in the kitchen at work and my phone was ringing so I pulled it out of my pocket and it slipped out of my hand and went right into the sink that was filled with water. I went right after it and got it out, it was only under water for maybe 2secs. The phone was still on when I pulled it out. I pulled the back off and took the battery out and its been sitting every since. How long should it sit and dry off?? It is a city phone and they will kill me if I broke this thing.....In the past year I've killed 4 PDA/Smart Phones. Any ideas please let me know.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Tdcompton
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
PIN: 30FD7282

turn it off, let it dry out for about 24 hours.. That's what a friend of mien did and his still works just fine. Just leave it be
Old 05-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Leave it out for at least 3-5 days.... The longer the better....

Put it on a tv or something like, that generates heat...

See this FAQ

Got Your BlackBerry Wet? - BlackBerryFAQ

Best of luck!!!

Kris
Old 05-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
25firechief

Thanks....Im going to leave it.....Im not all about taking the thing apart.....I was going to leave a fan on it for the night......till the moisture is off the screen
Old 05-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Leave it out for at least 3-days.... 5 would be even better and place on a heat source like described in the FAQ...

Hope it dries out!!!!

Kris
Old 05-22-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
25firechief

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
Leave it out for at least 3-days.... 5 would be even better and place on a heat source like described in the FAQ...

Hope it dries out!!!!

Kris
Would it be better for me to follow the FAQ's and take it apart?
Old 05-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

I think you will be fine following the FAQ without taking the device apart (just skip step 2) .... But taking it apart can only increase the chance of survival...

Last edited by LunkHead; 05-22-2008 at 06:55 PM..
Old 05-22-2008, 08:01 PM   #8
marshda

Model: Dash
Carrier: Tmobile
Default two ways to dry a device

I was talking to a few friendly mobile techs and there were two recommendations:

Put the phone in a ziplock bag with one of those dry packs that comes with new shoes or electronics or beef jerky or something. It will draw the moisture. Another option is to put it in a bag of rice (put it in another ziplock that is mostly open to keep the dust out of your device).

The next one was wild but I've tried it on a cell phone and it works: This is for full on emersion - water in screen type issues. TAKE THE BATTERY OUT! Put the device in a jar full of rubbing alcohol. Submerge it in there and leave it for at least 24 hrs. The Alc will "push" out the water and then will evaporate in a day or two once left in the open.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #9
25firechief

So I left it at work last night in the electric room on top of a transformer (the top is always warm). When I left, the screen still had moisture on it.....came in this morning and its all gone. I think im going to leave it on top of the transformer till I leave work tomorrow late afternoon. I'll post again when I put the battery back in it, and let everyone know if it works.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

25FireChief,... I hope you take the knowledgeable and wise advice of those of us who have been there before: leave the battery out for 3-5 days.

If you didn't take battery out immediately, it is likely fried anyway. Lunkhead advised you 16 hours ago to follow the FAQ (which says "1. Remove the battery immediately!!"
and
"3. Let the device dry in a warm, dry place for 3 to 5 days*"

Just two weeks ago, a user was here asking the exact same question. He/She would post back every 4-5 hours "Nope, not working yet", "Battery in, not working", which totally defeats the purpose. The battery must stay out.

Water and electricity do not mix. Ever.

Good luck with yours.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #11
25firechief

When it went in the water I went right after it....it was only in the water for maybe 2secs. When I pulled it out the phone was still on. As I was taking the battery out the phone shut off. I can leave it for 3 days but thats the max. I might take it out of the shell for a day, but I don't have an allen key that small...I have to buy one....I'm already starting to hear crap from my bosses about the phone.....3days is all I can give it.....after that I have to let them know. I was already told that i am going to be docked the price of the new phone if the old one is dead. Sucks ass cause in 6 to 8months the city is switching from Verizon to Sprint. I should have told them I dropped it at a call and the city's insurance would have covered it. My boss will be in sometime Memorial Day, and I have to let him know by then.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:42 PM   #12
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25firechief View Post
When it went in the water I went right after it....it was only in the water for maybe 2secs. When I pulled it out the phone was still on. As I was taking the battery out the phone shut off. I can leave it for 3 days but thats the max. I might take it out of the shell for a day, but I don't have an allen key that small...I have to buy one....I'm already starting to hear crap from my bosses about the phone.....3days is all I can give it.....after that I have to let them know. I was already told that i am going to be docked the price of the new phone if the old one is dead. Sucks ass cause in 6 to 8months the city is switching from Verizon to Sprint. I should have told them I dropped it at a call and the city's insurance would have covered it. My boss will be in sometime Memorial Day, and I have to let him know by then.

If you need to accelerate the process and the weather is warm where you are located then put it on your car dash in the sun with the windows up. This will greatly speed the process up.

I wish you luck and hope that it works out for you!

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 05-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #13
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

I agree. Check the tips in the FAQ (again). The box of rice, in a hot car, etc.

Sorry to hear of the troubles, but... if three days is all you have, that is all you have.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #14
25firechief

So I did the phone in the bag of rice thing......Wow I thought that the phone was all dry, kept the phone in the bag with the rice in the sun all day and the bag had a good amount of moisture build up on the bag. Going to leave it all day tomorrow and try the battery tomorrow night. If there is still moisture build up by tomorrow I guess i'll leave it a few more days
Old 05-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #15
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Wirelessly posted (8310; The Juggernaut)

NOT a BAG, but a BOX! The bag traps moisture IN the bag, a BOX allows the rice to draw the moisture out of the device. Does the FAQ say bag?

Last edited by JSanders; 05-25-2008 at 04:42 PM..
Old 05-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #16
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

It just says "sealed container". Seems somewhat open for interpretation!

Last edited by rachamphetamine; 05-25-2008 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 05-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #17
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Wirelessly posted (8310; The Juggernaut)

So it does... It is up for interpretation. So be it!
Old 05-27-2008, 07:16 AM   #18
gm_eng

Model: 8130

I've had luck using a hair dryer on electronic components that got wet. Not only warms it up, but blows the moisture away.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #19
25firechief

Oh well......I had the phone in the OPEN BAG all day Sunday and there was a lot of moisture that came out, so I left it in there for another day on the dash of my cruiser....Well, I think the first day did the trick cause there was no moisture visible in the bag. So reading the past few posts I put the phone in a container on the transformer in the electrical room of the station house. Going to leave it there till 2pm ish and put the battery in it. All together is has sat for just about 5days......I'll post back around 2ish
Old 05-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #20
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25firechief View Post
Oh well......I had the phone in the OPEN BAG all day Sunday and there was a lot of moisture that came out, so I left it in there for another day on the dash of my cruiser....Well, I think the first day did the trick cause there was no moisture visible in the bag. So reading the past few posts I put the phone in a container on the transformer in the electrical room of the station house. Going to leave it there till 2pm ish and put the battery in it. All together is has sat for just about 5days......I'll post back around 2ish
You followed instructions and I think that you will be rewarded! I have a good feeling about this one!!! Crosss fingers!!

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Closed Thread