Old 02-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
paulus4605

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: mobistar
Question get the blackberry working on ubuntu 7.10 newby

Please Login to Remove!

Dear,
since I'm not only new to this forum but also new to ubuntu I would like to be able to sync my BB 8800 with ubuntu.
I understand that there is a way to do so but even trying to understand is to hard for me.
Is there a step by step how to that I can follow? or is there an easy way to make this work
thanks for the help

Paul
Old 02-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Paul--greetings, and welcome to the BBF.

Look here, step by step fory Linux!
Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ.com

Last edited by JSanders; 02-09-2008 at 11:01 AM..
Old 02-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
paulus4605

@jsanders
thanks for the link however I don't know how to compile, I have tried to understand what this means, but I don't get it
for me the easiest way should be
1 download file X
2 what do I need to do with this file
3 download file Y
4 what to do with file Y

sorry that I make something easy so difficult
perhaps the fact that I'm getting older has something to do with it

thanks for any suggestions
Paul
Old 02-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
livinginx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

I don't really get much about compiling unless I am working on something at the time and then I research how to do it step by step.

On the like that 'J' posted above, check that out. I just reviewed the link and don't see anything that requires compiling.

I have been playing with installing a Funambol (similar way of doing this) Server on one of my Ubuntu boxes and have had moderately good luck with it. But I am not at 100% yet.

The ways posted on BlackberryFAQ using Mobical and ScheduleWorld are the most popular and easiest options I have seen other linux users utilize.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
paulus4605

ok I did try out the bcharge and I think that I installed it correctly however when I enter bcharge on the command line I get the message that it's scanning for blackberry devices and that 0 devices have been adjusted
what do I need to do to make it working
I installed this package barry-util_0.11-1_i386.deb and it's not working.

thanks for the feedback
Paul
Old 02-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
livinginx

As far as charging goes, you don't need to install anything special in 7.10, just plug in your berry and it will charge.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
paulus4605

sorry it does not charge output stays at 100mA
Old 02-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
livinginx

That is quite odd. I was doing some research on it when I got my 7100i a couple weeks ago and almost installed Barry and the like, but ended up not installing anything and my phone charges just fine. On one of the documentation sites for 7.10, there was a point made about BBerry charging being added to the kernel. Not sure which kernel I am using off the top of my head, I am at work.

No clue where my multimeters are, so I can't check the current when I am charging it, but no problems in the last couple of weeks.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Some ideas for you - I'm not an Unbuntu user, but these are generic things to check.

1) make sure you don't have the kernel module 'berry_charge' installed *and* are trying to use 'bcharge' at the same time; they are ... let's call them competing programs to charge your BlackBerry. You only want one of them around at a time.

Assuming Ubuntu kernels keep their modules in the same /lib/modules/ path like most everyone else. run this command in a shell:

Code:
find /lib/modules -name berry_charge.ko
If you get any results, then you have a more recent kernel with berry_charge built/enabled, and it may be capturing your BlackBerry *before* you are running bcharge. You may wish to remove (just move the file from wherever it is into a temp folder, like /root/saveme/, then reboot - don't delete it, you might want to put it back later) berry_charge.ko file and work with bcharge. Or, uninstall bcharge and only work with berry_charge.ko; what you don't want to do is have them both installed/enabled at the same time, this will cause you grief.

2) are you plugging into a USB HUB, or directly into your desktop/laptop PC? Currently there's a bug with berry_charge (which may or may not also affect bcharge, I stopped using bcharge some time ago so can't check) where it's not working right with USB hubs, the developers are working on it. Here's the Red Hat bug report and lots of nerdy info:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=379341

If you're using a HUB, try and plug the device directly into your PC instead and see if that helps.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:35 AM   #10
paulus4605

I finally got the bcharge working however I get this error message and for the beauty of the program I would like to have a errorless result

Scanning for Blackberry devices...
Found device #003...adjusting charge setting...adjusting Pearl mode to dualDetecting possible kernel driver conflict, trying to resolve...

usb_reset failed: could not reset: No such device
...done

my blackberry is a 8800

and I don't have a pearl
Closed Thread