BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
jjd228
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)
Default "Reconcile Now"?!?!?

Please Login to Remove!

what exactly does this do?? apparently nothing. i assumed it was like a manual "send/receive" in the event you wanted to check for new messages immediately instead of waiting for the mail to be pushed to your handheld, but thats not the case. so here are some questions:

1) IS "reconcile now" in fact a manual send/receive but maybe it only works with an enterprise server account?

2) DOES it do anything with internet mail accounts configured on the device?

3) am i right in thinking the device never actually "gets" email, and that instead new emails are pushed to the device after configuring the accounts?

4) what is the default interval for receiving new emails? i have seen it take a very long time in testing.

thanks!
Old 08-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I believe the Reconcile Now option will do somewhat of a manual sync between your e-mail accounts and your BlackBerry. So if you deleted an item in your e-mail account and that delete hadn't propogated to the BlackBerry, the Reconcile Now option would force that change to take place.

Below is a link to some general information about methods of receiving e-mail. I believe it will answer the other questions: Methods of Receiving Email on BlackBerry - BlackBerryFAQ

Last edited by jeremyckitching; 08-26-2007 at 02:15 PM..
Old 08-26-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

Reconciling is for "reconciling" changes like deletion status or read/unread status.

For the BIS internet POP polling service, the inverval is approximately every 15 minutes. The BES emails are instantaneous. If you need fast email delivery without BES, you could try yahoo or Gmail, or try forwarding mails to your [email address] address. That address delivers mail instantly.

You can't manually cause the handheld to check for new emails. It doesn't work that way. IT you're not using an instant push method, then you need to be patient for POP polling interval. That's just the way it is.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
John-Fox
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroc View Post
Reconciling is for "reconciling" changes like deletion status or read/unread status.

For the BIS internet POP polling service, the inverval is approximately every 15 minutes. The BES emails are instantaneous. If you need fast email delivery without BES, you could try yahoo or Gmail, or try forwarding mails to your [email address] address. That address delivers mail instantly.

You can't manually cause the handheld to check for new emails. It doesn't work that way. IT you're not using an instant push method, then you need to be patient for POP polling interval. That's just the way it is.
I always hear the interval for checking POP is every 15 minutes, which is not often enough to suit me ... but thankfully it seems like it checks my gmail account every 15 seconds or less, which is wonderful. I also have it checking an exchange server at work, and now THAT does seems like every 15 minutes. I wonder gmail is more efficiently pushed than the exchange server. The exchange server got a governor on it or something?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
jjd228

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Has nothing to do with your email server, your mail simply sits there waiting to get picked up whether its exchange, or your gmail account. Its the internet mail service server that logs in to your mail server every 15 mins to get your mail. Maybe for some reason it checks some accounts quicker than every 15 mins

BS / MCSE / BCSA / RHCSE
Old 08-28-2007, 05:42 AM   #6
Keyscan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Fox View Post
I always hear the interval for checking POP is every 15 minutes, which is not often enough to suit me ... but thankfully it seems like it checks my gmail account every 15 seconds or less, which is wonderful. I also have it checking an exchange server at work, and now THAT does seems like every 15 minutes. I wonder gmail is more efficiently pushed than the exchange server. The exchange server got a governor on it or something?
RIM and gmail have a modified protocol in place to notify the BIS service immediately when new email arrives in a users inbox. That type of service is not available through POP or OWA for example. IMAP did have that in place for a few weeks, called IMAP idle, but that turned out to delay a lot of peoples emails whose mail server was not fully supporting the new feature.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:16 PM   #7
hyedipin
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile 2001-2007, AT&T 8/26/07 ->

Using reconcile, can't we just get rid of the e-mails from our mailbox on the BB Inbox? I hate when mails pile up in my BB. I though by reconciling I can just get rid of the read e-mails, but no they are there.

Also, is there select all or just "select" option in the inbox to select and delete in bulk?

Thank you
Old 09-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
tobyw

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

"Reconcile Now" seems to do nothing on BIS, at least for me. This behaviour seems to have continued with BIS 2.4.

hyedipin: like you, I hate it when mails pile up on my BB. Since BIS 2.3 I've enjoyed that at least deleted e-mails get removed from my BB after a couple of hours. However, this isn't quite quick enough for my liking. I would also love that e-mails that I read on my PC and leave in my inbox had their read/unread status replicated to the BB. As I posted in another thread, the spec of BIS 2.4 seems to suggest that this would finally be the case, although it certainly doesn't work for me!
Old 09-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
hyedipin
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile 2001-2007, AT&T 8/26/07 ->

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyw View Post
I would also love that e-mails that I read on my PC and leave in my inbox had their read/unread status replicated to the BB. As I posted in another thread, the spec of BIS 2.4 seems to suggest that this would finally be the case, although it certainly doesn't work for me!
We will see what happens with that, it would be similar to OTA Sync if it works like that. If you read the e-mails on you PC before they come to your BB it won't receive it anyway, but having Read/Unread status duplicated would also be very nice, once the e-mail is sent to BB.

As for Select, I realized I can hold Shift and select multiple e-mails.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
tobyw

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
As for Select, I realized I can hold Shift and select multiple e-mails.
You can also "click" on a header like Mon, Sep 24, 2007 and then select Mark Prior Opened or Delete Prior. I find this to be a time saver.

I've been fiddling with BIS and my e-mail accounts (trying with IMAP vs. OWA etc.). It seems that none of them are syncing read/unread status from server --> handheld. Therefore I'm either not on BIS 2.4 (although inviting attendees etc. suggests I am) or the RIM feature list for 2.4 is incorrect, which is a bummer

Last edited by tobyw; 09-24-2007 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: Messed up quote
Closed Thread