Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
30PSI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Returned my 8100

Please Login to Remove!

After doing a lot of reading here on this site, it seems like t-mobile will be coming out with bb curve that has wifi sometimes in september so yesterday I went to return my pearl under 14 days return policyat the t-mobile store. I decided to hold back on upgrading my phone and wait for the curve. Is this a good decision on my part? I love the pearl and I missed it already within the short time I had it I couldn't stop playing with it lol. Now back to my Slvr L7(boring!). Do you guys think it'll be worth the wait for the new curve how would that compare to the current pearl?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #2
david9962000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

It's a long time without a BB!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30PSI View Post
After doing a lot of reading here on this site, it seems like t-mobile will be coming out with bb curve that has wifi sometimes in september so yesterday I went to return my pearl under 14 days return policyat the t-mobile store. I decided to hold back on upgrading my phone and wait for the curve. Is this a good decision on my part? I love the pearl and I missed it already within the short time I had it I couldn't stop playing with it lol. Now back to my Slvr L7(boring!). Do you guys think it'll be worth the wait for the new curve how would that compare to the current pearl?
Personally, I don't think you can compare the curve to the Pearl. They are for two different people. They will be releasing the new Curve, AND the Pearl 2 soon. I have a friend that returned the Curve and went for the Pearl because she loves the size and rapid one handed typing. I was thinking of going Curve myself, but I am way too used to SureType. And because the keys are compact and I can type very fast on it ... it is way more convenient with speedy one handed typing than a full qwerty keyboard. I can type fast one handed with the Curve also .... but my fingers have to move farther and I have to look at the keyboard more, not as convenient.

But, it all has to do with what you want. One is bigger and has a qwerty. The other is more compact and has suretype.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
30PSI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Coming from a motorola user I do love the suretype as much as the size and design of the pearl. I also think the same thing that full qwerty will take sometimes to get get used to. What I like about curve is that it has bigger screen and if rumor is truth will support wifi which imo much better than edge. So besides the size and key pads both are pretty much function the same? I'm pretty new to bb if you could shed some light that would be great lol.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

It's really up to you, based on subjective factors that only affect you. Some people want a big display, full keyboard, others do not. Some want the smallest for factor [me] some could care less. Only you can decide what features and functions are important to you.

There's millions of people who own the Pearl, there's millions who own other phones. Each has reasons important to him or her as to why they are using their particular phone.

In the end, only you can make the decision and it seems you have made it. It was a good decision to you at the time, so stick with it regardless of what others say. If you are looking for comfort and positive reinforcement that you made a good decision, I don't know that the Pearl forum is a good place to seek it.

From my rumor bag: I thought the rumored Pearl 2 is going to have WiFi.

Sidenote: I thought the Curve was not all that well received on the market. So not too sure if there will be anyone in the Pearl forum saying the Curve is a good choice over the Pearl.

Bonus Tip: Don't ask this type of question in regards to whether you should continue a relationship with someone.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 08-04-2007 at 07:48 PM..
Old 08-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
tgeekb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 2448FC02
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Coming from a motorola user I do love the suretype as much as the size and design of the pearl. I also think the same thing that full qwerty will take sometimes to get get used to. What I like about curve is that it has bigger screen and if rumor is truth will support wifi which imo much better than edge. So besides the size and key pads both are pretty much function the same? I'm pretty new to bb if you could shed some light that would be great lol.
I believe the new Pearl will have WiFi also. That's what I'm waiting for. GPS would be a plus but I'm not sure if they can squeeze all that into the small form factor.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:07 PM   #7
blakeatl

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

I'm just waiting for the announcement that 3g will be available from T-mobile. Am I wishing on a star?
Old 08-04-2007, 11:08 PM   #8
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

twinkle, twinkle little star.....
Old 08-04-2007, 11:26 PM   #9
blakeatl

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
twinkle, twinkle little star.....
Yeah.....that one.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:28 PM   #10
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

How I wonder where you are...
Old 08-05-2007, 01:04 AM   #11
churchill
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2423A5E5
Carrier: tmobile
Default pearl vs. curve

I think you have a situation familiar to many on this board which is not knowing what you really want to use your device for. I currently have a pearl, which I came to out of sheer frustration with two windows mobile devices. I am delighted with the form factor, ease of use and size. Its a great phone. My windows mobile phones had wi-fi which has some plusses and minuses. On the positive side, it is indeed faster than current edge and you can use it for faster browsing and voip, however be aware of two important issues
1. Your phone processor does not have the capability to run at full net speed, so you will see a noticeable, but not remarkable speed increase on the net. For communication purposes, (sms, mms, etc) it wont make a difference.
2. Using wi-fi for any kind of voip or data movement in volume will suck your battery dry in a few hours, so dont plan on having the kind of voice comms endurance you have on edge or gprs.

Personally I love the smaller form factor of the pearl, but I will be getting a tmo curve with wi-fi so I can have the larger format, keyboard and other advantages when I am comfortable carrying the larger form factor. For any kind of non business use I will be carrying my pearl. I dont think Im terribly intetested in the pearl2 for reasons above, but thats just my personal view.

If forced to pick one phone for all uses I would still pick my current pearl with the seidio 1200 ma battery as that fulfills 95% of my daily needs. The stability of the rim platform matters more to me than almost anything else and since I like the small form factor that clinches it for me as a favorite. Hope this helps you decide.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:12 AM   #12
30PSI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco View Post
Bonus Tip: Don't ask this type of question in regards to whether you should continue a relationship with someone.
To me that is much easier than having to pick between the new curve and pearl

Man I don't know if I can stand not having a bb device for another 2 months, but at the same time I don't want to use up my t-mobile upgrade discount on a pearl now seeing as 2 more months they'll release a new/upgraded version I love the size/design of 8100 the only thing I like about curve is the bigger screen...guess you can't have them all lol. Other than looks/design/keyboard these 2 phones are pretty much the same right?

Last edited by 30PSI; 08-05-2007 at 02:15 AM..
Old 08-05-2007, 03:21 AM   #13
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Quote:
To me that is much easier than having to pick between the new curve and pearl

Man I don't know if I can stand not having a bb device for another 2 months, but at the same time I don't want to use up my t-mobile upgrade discount on a pearl now seeing as 2 more months they'll release a new/upgraded version I love the size/design of 8100 the only thing I like about curve is the bigger screen...guess you can't have them all lol. Other than looks/design/keyboard these 2 phones are pretty much the same right?

I'd wait two months, it's not that long to wait. You might want to consider getting a used Pearl in the interim.

I have seen them on this board, at about $125 to $150. That is not bad. And when you get the next Pearl you can keep the old one as a spare. You need spares to tide you over when your current phone goes out. I am totally wireless at home, no land line, so I need spare phones. I have three 7100t phones.

Additionally, the Pearl 2 coming out in Sept. is rumor and speculation. And no one even knows which carrier will get it first. Some say T-Mo, some say Sprint. So you have to think about that. But mainly, I have to wonder if it will be introduced in two months. Could be longer.

So get a used Pearl for now.
Closed Thread