BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 07:36 PM   #1
228.SEAN

Model: 8100
Default Jump Ship or Stick it Out

Please Login to Remove!

Okay, so we all know and understand there are some issues (primarily software-related) with the 8100. Most of the issues I can deal with as subtle annoyances -- some are harder to swallow.

My question is: Should I stick it out, hoping that RIM releases a firmware update to resolve these issues? What's their track record for doing something like that? Are they usually good at fixing bugs?
Old 09-21-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 228.SEAN
Okay, so we all know and understand there are some issues (primarily software-related) with the 8100. Most of the issues I can deal with as subtle annoyances -- some are harder to swallow.

My question is: Should I stick it out, hoping that RIM releases a firmware update to resolve these issues? What's their track record for doing something like that? Are they usually good at fixing bugs?
According to a few posts in this forums they are already working on an update.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:44 PM   #3
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Man are you lucky you were not around in the days of the 5810...
Old 09-21-2006, 07:56 PM   #4
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Yea or the Treo650 when it came out. The Pearl is pretty solid if you ask me.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
brianlamar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Blackberrycool or engadgetmobile said that tmobile already has a software update and is ready for release in about a month. I'd say stick it out and be patient.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:16 PM   #6
odnerd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbblc
According to a few posts in this forums they are already working on an update.
What posts? Everything I've read stated that RIM "wasn't aware of the issue and this was the first they'd heard about it"...
Old 09-21-2006, 08:19 PM   #7
odnerd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlamar
Blackberrycool or engadgetmobile said that tmobile already has a software update and is ready for release in about a month. I'd say stick it out and be patient.
The one on BBCool makes me think the person he was talking to was just saying whatever to get him off the phone...
Old 09-21-2006, 10:27 PM   #8
228.SEAN

I guess I just want to be sure that RIM is aware of the issues and us intending on doing something about them. I'm mostly concerned about whether or not they typically release updates for big fixes.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:25 PM   #9
brianlamar
Thumbs Must Hurt

well i mean, an update has to come sooner or later. its technology it changes.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:52 AM   #10
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by 228.SEAN
I guess I just want to be sure that RIM is aware of the issues.
I feel quite certain they are aware of this & working on a fix. RIM is a great company with a good track record. The 8100 is a perfect example of their focus on remaining competitive. In these times of significant growth & sales in the smartphone arena, RIM is well positioned for continued success.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:11 AM   #11
simkin9999
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

I have no problems with my Pearl. Cingular. Purchased on Thursday evening from a retail store (and my account doesn't allow retail interaction, heh)

I've only been reading this forum for a few days, but I haven't seen (m)any posts of folks with problems .. and forums are usually chock full of the people WITH problems ..
Old 12-25-2006, 01:32 PM   #12
MattyL147

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular

i feel like i am not having any of the stated issues with the pearl like many other users. the only complaint i have is of build quality, but no software issues...im concerned that i could have issues when and if i were to update the software??
Old 12-25-2006, 11:55 PM   #13
aaronkt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyL147
i feel like i am not having any of the stated issues with the pearl like many other users. the only complaint i have is of build quality, but no software issues...im concerned that i could have issues when and if i were to update the software??
Well build quality you might not be able to do much about unless you get a different door, battery, add a skin or something else. The only "problem" that anyone is complaining about is the auto-dim feature when upgrading from the .42 version of the OS. I dont see it as a problem. Just a matter of what if you can read the screen or not. Other than that updaing the OS is a good thing and i believe everyone would agree with it.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:13 AM   #14
blakeatl

After owning my Pearl for 2 months now......I can actually say that it's the best smartphone I've been introduced to. I had problems when I was a noob too, but these guys on here are great!! Once you learn the ins and outs of the Pearl, you won't be disappointed. I can vouch and say that I have almost no problems with mine. I would say none at all, but my trackball wouldn't move down last week (for the 1st time ever) for about 2 minutes.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:18 AM   #15
damianp67

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

I have had no real issues with my cingular 8100. I wouldn't call mine buggy in the least. I'm running BIS and BES on mine.

The one issue that annoys me is that when I try and charge it on via USB on my Mac, I get a message that I don't have the driver or sufficient power to charge, although it seems to charge anyway.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:26 AM   #16
blakeatl

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianp67
I have had no real issues with my cingular 8100. I wouldn't call mine buggy in the least. I'm running BIS and BES on mine.

The one issue that annoys me is that when I try and charge it on via USB on my Mac, I get a message that I don't have the driver or sufficient power to charge, although it seems to charge anyway.

Same here when I'm running Ubuntu Linux 6.1. Mine doesn't seem to charge though.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #17
bjanz

Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Linux kernels 2.16 and above enforce USB 2.0 rules

And the rules say that no "low power" device on the bus can draw more than 100ma (1 unit load). A "high power" device can draw up to 5 unit loads (500ma) after it has been configured, but there's no *working* configuration software for the 2.6 kernel (I know - I've tried...). Hence, the device dimply can't draw the 500ma from the bus, even if the device reports that it needs 5 loads.

Unfortunately, not all bus-powered devices follow the rules. Self-powered devices can draw 1 load from the bus and the rest from an external source, but they must be able to discriminate when the external source disappears so they don't overdraw the bus. Not all devices are this smart, unfortunately. I've run across a couple of low-end cameras that violate the spec all over the place. But, of course, we'd *NEVER* buy this equipment, right?

One major problem is that most manufacturers think that their USB 2.0 bus-powered device is the *ONLY* bus-powered device on the system. They discount other USB bus-powered devices that draw current from the USB bus, such as keyboards, mice, speakers, iPod cables, etc.

The other unfortunate thing is that the Linux kernel *enforces* the limits, while Windows doesn't. Hence, people think that Linux is screwed up, when - in actual fact - Linux is trying to *prevent* damage to your USB bus and the devices connected to it.

Give it time. We're not the only folks who have this problem.

(I have a mental picture of a cascade of 4 hubs daisy-chained from a single USB port on a laptop somewhere... just like that overloaded AC socket behind the lamp in the movie "Christmas Story"... LOL)

\burt
Closed Thread