Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
sinclairgoldbergprice

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default I'm new to Blackberry & struggling

Please Login to Remove!

I have just got a 8310 and am hoping that someone could answer a number of questions before i throw this thing out the window!!!! several questions I'm afraid

1 -since O2 finally got the web & email working (or some of it) 2 icons have appeared on the desktop for facebook and Yahoo - it seems in can only grey these out but how do i get rid of them???

2 -I have an icon in the top section showing that i have either an email or text - yet there are none in the actual email or text sections??

3 - i anaged to set up the email - but since then the bowser icon takes me to the email login screen - i login and it asks me about services and setting - where has browsing the internet gone??

4 - how do i get my phone list up - if i select address book (fairly obvious choise - it opens to an email template - i can get the numbers i called before email was set up by pressing the green button and/or then hitting menu again to get call from address book - surely you should have 1 icon to give you your telephone numbers???

5 - i have linked my phone to my bluetooth kit but i will not connect automatically - i have to fiddle or try call out to get it to link - have had a look in the bluetooth section but can see an instruction which says connect to the car immediately

Hope someone can help cos i'm starting to regret getting this
Thanks Melanie
Old 08-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
David.Burke
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 3GS
Carrier: Rogers

I'm just running out the door, but this link will fix your second issue: 1st step to take if device is having problems? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 08-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

In red:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinclairgoldbergprice View Post
I have just got a 8310 and am hoping that someone could answer a number of questions before i throw this thing out the window!!!! several questions I'm afraid
Patience!

1 -since O2 finally got the web & email working (or some of it) 2 icons have appeared on the desktop for facebook and Yahoo - it seems in can only grey these out but how do i get rid of them???
Hide them is the best you can do. Hover over > Menu > Hide. Sounds like you have done that already by greying them out. Now Hit Menu > and UNcheck Show All.

2 -I have an icon in the top section showing that i have either an email or text - yet there are none in the actual email or text sections??
I am not sure what you need here.

3 - i anaged to set up the email - but since then the bowser icon takes me to the email login screen - i login and it asks me about services and setting - where has browsing the internet gone??
While in your browser, press Menu > Bookmarks and see if you can go anywhere else. Or Menu > Go To, and type in something like wap.blackberryforums.com

4 - how do i get my phone list up - if i select address book (fairly obvious choise - it opens to an email template - i can get the numbers i called before email was set up by pressing the green button and/or then hitting menu again to get call from address book - surely you should have 1 icon to give you your telephone numbers???
Do you have any contacts in your Address Book? Your Phone numbers will be stored there. Look at Address Book > Menu > Options > General Options. You should see the number of "entries" in your Address Book there. What is it?

5 - i have linked my phone to my bluetooth kit but i will not connect automatically - i have to fiddle or try call out to get it to link - have had a look in the bluetooth section but can see an instruction which says connect to the car immediately
Do you have the Bluetooth connection to your car set to "trusted"?
I think when you get some of these bugs worked out, you will be fine. The BB does have a steeper learning curve, and after you get a bit more comfortable with the OS, you will be fine.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
sinclairgoldbergprice

thanks for the help - answers to above are
1. will have to do with greying out
2. trying the reboot as suggested
3. neither bookmarks or go to are listed in the menu?
4. 65 entries but on clicking on the address book icon the phone numbers list has magically reappeared - worrying as i have no idea why or if it will happen again
5. is set to trusted now

so all thats left is the missing browser - any other ideas please
Thanks Melanie
Old 08-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

1. you do not need to see greyed out items.
Click the menu key, and remove the check box next to "Show All" (click on it) and the greyed out (hidden) icons will appear
Old 08-13-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

What is the icon named that you are using to go to the browser?
Old 08-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
sinclairgoldbergprice

icon is called Browser - its a globe with a yellow ring around it
Old 08-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Open that back up, click Menu > Options and General Properties.

Default Browser = Internet Browser.

Can you set that and Save?
Closed Thread