BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T
Default Re: Wish(es) for future OS Upgrades for Torch

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshute View Post
Can we please have the "UP" label back on the charger plug? I felt grateful for it every single time I plugged it into the phone, but now it's gone, and I have to examine the plug to make sure it's the right way up.

I guess I could just put a dot of white-out on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tectonbbtorch View Post
more processing speed and ram - please!!!
Again, you just gotta love what the naive apparently think is possible with "future OS upgrades." I guess while we're at it, I should wish for an upgrade to 4G LTE with a future OS upgrade.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #82
pshute
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Optus

Quote:
I've always thought it was odd that there was no way, when editing, say, an email, to quickly move to the start or end of a line, or to jump left or right one word. It's a pain scrolling right across one character at a time.
I've recently changed to a 9780 running OS6. I just noticed that alt+scroll left/right now jumps to the start/end of a line, so you can tick this one off the list for that model. Can anyone confirm whether this works on the Torch?

Last edited by pshute; 07-17-2011 at 06:49 PM..
Old 07-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #83
pshute

Quote:
I really like the tabbed web browsing on the OS6 browser. I'd really like it if there was an option to allow me to open a link in a new tab but keep the current tab active.

When I'm researching something on a PC, I tend to use Firefox to open up a dozen or so likely Google results in new tabs, which all load in the background. Once they're loaded, I just click on each one, closing those that turn out to be irrelevant.

I can now do research on the Blackberry much more efficiently than the old way - opening links then returning to Google really sucked. But having new tabs load in the background would be a seemingly simple feature that would make it even better.
Now that I've been using OS6 for a while, I'm finding I'm using tabbed browsing every day, and it's just screaming out for this feature, or a shortcut to return to the previous tab. I'm wearing out the W key.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:57 AM   #84
nathan62969

PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
I've recently changed to a 9780 running OS6. I just noticed that alt+scroll left/right now jumps to the start/end of a line, so you can tick this one off the list for that model. Can anyone confirm whether this works on the Torch?
Alt-scroll leads to zoom function on the torch.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 07-18-2011, 11:33 PM   #85
pshute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan62969 View Post
Alt-scroll leads to zoom function on the torch.
On the 9780, alt+scroll up/down zooms in the original message, but just moves up/down in the reply I'm typing. Alt+scroll left/right does nothing in the original message, but jumps to start/end of line in the reply.

Does it always zoom on the Torch?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:50 AM   #86
jpd1977uk
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Three UK (PAYG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
locking the screen rotation
I agree with this one!!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #87
Drug$toreCowboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Fido (BIS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerKris View Post
Well here is my two pennth worth xxx8211; all based on what I used to be able to do on my old Nokia 6220C and but now canxxx8217;t on my new BlackBerry?!! (Well all but the first one!)

1. Be able to lock the screen independently of the touchpad and hardware keyboard, so I donxxx8217;t keep deleting messages when I take the phone out of its holster.
2. Make unlocking the phone a two key press, or press and hold operation. I unlock it all the time by mistake.
3. Be able to disable the Flashing LED when the phone is turned off and charging.
4. Have the option to have the callerxxx8217;s name read out when the phone is ringing.
5. Have the option to have the phone read out my texts and emails.
6. Have more than one alarm. E.G One for the weekdays, one for the weekend and one for one off incidents.
7. Be able to change the icons of folders users create, to ones other than the strictly limited stock icons on the phone.
8. Default the date format to that of the country the phone is in. I am in the UK but the phone displays dates month then day.

Other than that, I am now a BlackBerry convert

I strongly agree with points 1 and 2. Those are issues for me as well on the 9800.

With respect to point 5, I handle that by using Vlingo (free version available from App World as is a paid version). The free one works fine for me, as I use it to read out emails and text messages.

For point 4, I use the BlueAnt S4 in-car bt set, which downloads and then announces the caller.

Oh yes, as someone else already pointed out, the ability to lock the screen rotation. That one is another irritant that this addition could resolve.

Last edited by Drug$toreCowboy; 07-19-2011 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: Added Information to Post
Old 12-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #88
nathan62969

Kind of unconsciounable that there is no native icon for the media player! Have to go into Music Home or press the menu key to get to it when it is active (i.e. after exiting it) -- its always two clicks away rather than one :( Otherwise put, there *should* be an icon for the Media Player on the Home Screen (pleasae)!

Last edited by nathan62969; 12-04-2011 at 03:29 PM..
Old 12-05-2011, 12:10 AM   #89
pshute

Quote:
Kind of unconsciounable that there is no native icon for the media player! Have to go into Music Home or press the menu key to get to it when it is active (i.e. after exiting it) -- its always two clicks away rather than one :( Otherwise put, there *should* be an icon for the Media Player on the Home Screen (pleasae)!
You can move its icon to the Home folder. Just select it, press the Mebu button and select Move To Folder.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #90
nathan62969

I think maybe I was misunderstood? The icon for the Media Player, it looks like a square with a play triangle in the center, can only be seen/found when the player is active and only by holding down the menu key for a second which brings up all the active apps. And one can only then, as far as I have found, press that icon (which goes to the player): there is no way to do other than press the icon (can't menutize it, move it, etc) and no other place to dind it.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #91
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

If you have music playing then you can access the Now Playing screen from most any menu, including the home screen menu.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:27 AM   #92
pshute

Quote:
I think maybe I was misunderstood? The icon for the Media Player, it looks like a square with a play triangle in the center, can only be seen/found when the player is active and only by holding down the menu key for a second which brings up all the active apps. And one can only then, as far as I have found, press that icon (which goes to the player): there is no way to do other than press the icon (can't menutize it, move it, etc) and no other place to dind it.
I understand now, and I agree it's annoyingly fiddly to try to get back in quickly. Have a read of this thread:
forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9700-f146/can-you-add-shortcut-now-playing-main-screen-blackberry-9700-a-437332/

Someone has written an app to give you a shortcut to take you to "Now Playing".
Old 12-07-2011, 01:26 AM   #93
nathan62969

Quote:
I understand now, and I agree it's annoyingly fiddly to try to get back in quickly. Have a read of this thread:
forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9700-f146/can-you-add-shortcut-now-playing-main-screen-blackberry-9700-a-437332/

Someone has written an app to give you a shortcut to take you to "Now Playing".
AWESoooooOME!!! Thank you pshute!!!!!!.......
Old 12-07-2011, 01:30 AM   #94
nathan62969

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
If you have music playing then you can access the Now Playing screen from most any menu, including the home screen menu.
Riiiight, but my point is, i.e. was that it was always 2 clicks away and I was wishing for a home screen icon, i.e. to make it 1 click -- which there is via an app some very generous person out there created and which pshute just point to, thankfully :D
Closed Thread