BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
edIT

Model: 8700
Default Mac User Switching from Treo 650 to 8700c? Should I take the plunge?

Please Login to Remove!

Mac User Switching from Treo 650 to 8700c? Should I take the plunge?

So i have been reading tons of threads on Pocket Mac, and the whole thread on the forgotten Mac users. I have a Treo 650. I love it, but it's very unreliable. It locks up and reboots pretty frequently. Alothough it is loaded with great apps and features. I think I would rather go with something a little bit more stable and reliable. So...... that being said. How good is the latest version of Pocket Mac for syncing just my address book, iCal and Stickies? And how am i supposed to get IM+ onto my 8700c? And I have also heard that a lot of IM apps are not working on the Cingular network? I am one of the many who have paid the extra $40 a month for unlimited internet, do I have to worry about faulty IM? Looking for answers before I go return my Treo tomorrow morning. Any help would be great.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
rcbjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Was it really necessary to cross post? I can't really help with your question because you don't give any information about your primary uses. I do know that from what I've read here, it is hard to impossible to install OS upgrades and applications that don't have OTA installs.

The Blackberry is a great Communication Tool, but is lacking as a playtoy.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Old 12-25-2005, 08:00 PM   #3
edIT

well i mainly need it for phone, email, instant messager, text messaging, and internet, memos, datebook and tasks. my treo does al of this but i have to say the constant lockups are a real drag.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:14 PM   #4
rcbjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

The Blackberry will do all you want, there may be some differences from the Treo but ypu should be happy with it. It may be slightly more expensive, I don't know about the pricing for the plans that the Treo uses. Again, Macs are not well supported yet by RIM.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Old 12-25-2005, 08:54 PM   #5
phillyslickster
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
PIN: 242a22a7
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by edIT
Mac User Switching from Treo 650 to 8700c? Should I take the plunge?

So i have been reading tons of threads on Pocket Mac, and the whole thread on the forgotten Mac users. I have a Treo 650. I love it, but it's very unreliable. It locks up and reboots pretty frequently. Alothough it is loaded with great apps and features. I think I would rather go with something a little bit more stable and reliable. So...... that being said. How good is the latest version of Pocket Mac for syncing just my address book, iCal and Stickies? And how am i supposed to get IM+ onto my 8700c? And I have also heard that a lot of IM apps are not working on the Cingular network? I am one of the many who have paid the extra $40 a month for unlimited internet, do I have to worry about faulty IM? Looking for answers before I go return my Treo tomorrow morning. Any help would be great.

For what you want to use the BlackBerry for, you'll definitely be good to go. I just recently returned a Treo 650 to Cingular because of the reasons that you have stated above. I'm glad that I switched back to the BlackBerry because it is much more stable than the Treo 650. I was losing too much time at work troubleshooting the device and/or being out a phone or email communications during the work. To say the least, it was very troublesome to me and made me worker harder rather than smarter.

Cingular and Palm both know of the various issues with the Treo 650 and there have been many Treo 650 users with Cingular who have recently switched to the BlackBerry or like in my case switched back to the BlackBerry. I didn't need to watch movies, take pictures, listen to MP3s and the like on my phone, so the BlackBerry is a good choice for me.

Treo 650 is good when it works, but more often than not, it doesn't work as it should.

If you're looking for IM, you can get Ramble IM for free, Yak-On for a one time fee of $19.95, Verichat for $34.95/year. There may be others out there as well. You can also use BB Messenger which is free to chat with other BB users with their PIN.

Hope this helps you. Personally, I'm glad that I made my switch back to BlackBerry. I have used the BlackBerry for 4 years.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:55 PM   #6
phillyslickster

Model: 8320
PIN: 242a22a7

By the way, if you check the various forums, there are many people have gotten rid of their Treo 650 for the BlackBerry.

Good luck to you!!
Old 12-26-2005, 12:46 PM   #7
justelise
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700c

I ditched my Treo 650 (GSM) for the 8700c, but I never really sync'd either with my Mac. The main reason I ditched the Treo 650 was because of the lockups and reboots, but I have friends with Treos on non-gsm networks and have no problems with them. I guess it depends on what you really want out of your device. The BB beats the Treo for efficiency when it comes to messaging, but the Treo has some features I miss including the camera (which kinda sucked but it was convenient). There is also a lot of PalmOS software out there for free -- much more than is available for the BB, but the BB software tends to be tighter from what I have seen. It all depends on how you intend to use the device.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:28 PM   #8
tfaz1

Model: 8700g

I'll second a lot of comments here. Bought a Treo 650 and returned it after 30 days. Very promising device, but extremely unreliable. I've been using my 8700 for about 3 weeks and love it.

BUT... it does frustrate me that RIM hasn't gotten off their asses and written an OS X desktop client for the BB. I mean, is it that hard to support the Mac? After all, if Palm can do it, certainly RIM can.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:29 AM   #9
torifile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

Another Mac user here who had a Treo and went to a BB. It's a fantastic device and it's a really good phone too! I'm lucky enough to have a PC when I need to use it to install things, but that's only been once in my 2 weeks having the BB. Its very stable and *finally* I have a PDA that I don't need to worry about losing data on me!
Old 12-27-2005, 12:42 PM   #10
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Went to the 8700 from the 650. My 650 is rock solid and does not feel as cheap as the 8700. I already have lots of dust under my 8700 screen. They both have their + and -s
Old 12-27-2005, 01:24 PM   #11
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

After having done the same, the only shortcoming so far is the inability to view html in an email and the fact that for me, documents to go handled attachements much better. I do have eOffice, but is is clumsy compared to documents to go, this may be due to the RIM OS though.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:46 PM   #12
edIT

How stable is the latest update of Pocket Mac? Anymore duplicates of address or other bugs?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:03 AM   #13
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by edIT
How stable is the latest update of Pocket Mac? Anymore duplicates of address or other bugs?
I started a thread called "The Forgotten: Mac Users" that holds some comments about the strengths/weaknesses of PM... Please check it out when you have a chance and weigh-in if you're tired of feeling like a second-class citizen
Closed Thread