BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
sabre
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: att
Default How do I change the default email client?

Please Login to Remove!

My outgoing mail is trying to use redirector to send. I want to use redirector when my exchange outlook 2003 is open in order to get emails away from my desk. I want to use either my @tmo.blackberry.net account to send or my pop3 account (if its possible to use either). I cant figure out how to change the settings.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:34 PM   #2
TRILIGHT
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre
My outgoing mail is trying to use redirector to send. I want to use redirector when my exchange outlook 2003 is open in order to get emails away from my desk.
Outlook does not have to be open in order for the redirector to connect to your Exchange mailbox.

Quote:
I want to use either my @tmo.blackberry.net account to send or my pop3 account (if its possible to use either). I cant figure out how to change the settings.
What POP3 account? More detailed info needed. If you want to use the WebClient, you'll need to configure it and send the service book to your phone.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:43 PM   #3
sabre

It needs to be open if I dont have BES.

I have a roadrunner pop3 account. I have it set to go to my BB. I wanted any outgoing mail to show up coming thru that email but I can just send it thru the webclient. I didnt notice I could change between my exchange account and my webclient account when I compose email on the BB. I would like to be able to change it to my pop3 account if it is possible but its not completely necessary now that I can email thru the webclient.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:50 PM   #4
TRILIGHT
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
It needs to be open if I dont have BES. .
It really doesn't. I don't have BES here at the office or at home and I never leave Outlook running. The Redirector connects to the Exchange mailbox (I have Exchange at home also) and sends/receives mail properly. You set the Outlook profile to use but Outlook itself does not have to run... just the redirector.

Quote:
I have a roadrunner pop3 account. I have it set to go to my BB. I wanted any outgoing mail to show up coming thru that email but I can just send it thru the webclient. I didnt notice I could change between my exchange account and my webclient account when I compose email on the BB. I would like to be able to change it to my pop3 account if it is possible but its not completely necessary now that I can email thru the webclient.
I see. Unfortunately, that's one of the drawbacks of the WebClient is not being able to select what address you want it to come from with multiple accounts. Now I THINK that you can go in and set it to ONE address. You won't be able to select between MULTIPLE addresses on the WebClient. I think you can set a default "from" address though and that is what it will use for all mail sent out via the WebClient. If your RR account is the only one you use, you could set the WebClient's "from" address to your RR account and all mail (sent via the WebClient) will appear to come from there.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:00 PM   #5
sabre

Ok, so the redirector has to be on which means the PC has to be on. I only have exchange here at work. They do have BES but I would have to try and get added on it.

So I can change my webclient to look like its coming from RR instead of blackberry.net? Makes sense. Not completely necessary as I said because I didnt even think I could send outgoing before I realized I could use the webclient.

thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 02:08 PM   #6
TRILIGHT
Thumbs Must Hurt

Correct. The PC just needs to be on with the Redirector running. I do not believe BES will care if the Redirector is just sitting there running on your desktop. It just generates mail forwarding via your Outlook profile. A BES admin might have some more insight for you on this point though. I say "try it and see".

I don't use the WebClient myself but I just logged in and checked. It's located under the "Options" section...

"Reply-to address

By default whenever someone replies to a message sent from your account, the reply will be sent to this address.

If a reply-to address is not provided, replies will be sent to your Sent From Address."

Now I am unsure if this actually makes the ORIGINAL message appear to COME from that account, but it does appear that it will direct replies accordingly. I would think that "Reply To" would actually change that field in the message header before sending but I have not tested it myself to see how it actually behaves.

[EDIT] Disregard that. Go to "Profile" and then click on "Sent From Address" to set that. Sorry.

[EDIT]Ok, I couldn't help myself. I got curious so I started playing with the WebClient. Basically, you can set the "From" address to be whatever you want. In fact, I think it might even be a BETTER idea to do so since you might not want someone knowing what your actual Blackberry WebClient address is. If they know it, they can send mail to it and it automatically gets forwarded to your device! Ouch!

Anyway, I set it to "noreply@donotsendhere.com". I generated a message on the BB and told it that I wanted it to go through the WebClient. It went through fine. Now before I sent, I chose the option "Set Reply To" on the BB. I played with a lot of stuff when I first got it so I think I might have this option due to installing BBReply on my handheld. Anyway, you select what you want the "Set Reply To" to be. When the e-mail shows up for someone, it says that it is "From" the "noreply@donotsendhere.com" address (the friendly name is listed as whatever you set in the WebClient. It could be "Sabre's Blackberry Device" if you like.) So even though that is not a valid address, when they click on "Reply", it "replies to" the address you have selected when you generated the mail on your BB device.

I could see how this would go a long way to assist those who have to rely on the WebClient only and don't have the option for the Redirector. I would definitely be doing it this way if I did not have the option of the Redirector myself. If you don't have the "Set Reply To" option when generating mail via the WebClient on the BB device then install the BBReply software. Hope this helps!

Last edited by TRILIGHT; 06-09-2005 at 02:33 PM..
Closed Thread