BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
elarsson

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T
Default Pushing folder list to handheld...

Please Login to Remove!

Using the GroupWise BES 4.0 (SP2) with GroupWise 6.5.5 client (GW 7 backend).

I'm having an issue where two new users' handhelds were provisioned without any folder list.. (i.e. if you go into Folder Redirection on the handheld, the only folder visible is the top level "Desktop" folder. The File menu option does not appear when you select a message in the user's mailbox). I was able to fix one of the handhelds by wiping it and then doing a Wireless Enterprise Activation (the initial attempt was through USB with the BlackBerry Manager). These two handhelds were the first two that I'd activated through my admin desktop.. the others had been done via wireless activation.

I'd like to find a better solution for the other handheld, since there is a lot of application data on there I'd need to restore.

In testing with my own account, it looks to me that besides the initial population of the folder list, new folders only seem to be added to the handheld's list as part of message reconciliation, and only then after a message is filed there. For instance, if I create an empty folder in my GroupWise mailbox, it will not show up on the handheld until I file something into it and allow that change to sync to the handheld.

Two questions:
1. What BES process is actually responsible for syncing the folder list. Message reconciliation? PIM Sync? Email settings sync?

2. Is there any way to force a push of a user's current folder list to their handheld?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2005, 08:33 PM   #2
Dan-BB
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

For the folders list for each user you can check one of the GWX logs (GWCO or GWQM, I can't remember exactly which one) for the folder list for the users to see what it's reading. Also, I'm not sure if folders under 'documents' in the GWclient will sync either.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:39 AM   #3
idontknow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 6230

[QUOTE=elarssonTwo questions:
1. What BES process is actually responsible for syncing the folder list. Message reconciliation? PIM Sync? Email settings sync?

2. Is there any way to force a push of a user's current folder list to their handheld?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

1. GWConnector - Folder reconcile is responsible, but check changes will also do it if a new folder is created, and a message is filed to it in GW.

2. Turn off wireless reconcile in message options, save, and turn back on.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:21 PM   #4
dropscience
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800

Resurrecting an old topic here...

BES w/Groupwise here as well. I have all the folders under the Cabinet working but for some reason I cannot get the handheld to display any of the older items in the folders I am viewing. Why is that?

New items that are introduced into the separate folders are viewable and displayed on the handheld (which should be), but just none of the older stuff???!?!? I've turned on "Keep Messages" to "Forever" and reconciled wirelessly tons of times. The old stuff still DOES NOT show up.

I've even tried turning Wireless Reconcile off and on and still no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 09-26-2006, 07:55 AM   #5
hannahkat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: Bell

the BB will not populate folders with older material on activation, only the inbox is populated with the specified history (ie 5 days, 350 messages). I recommend users resend messages to themselves that they need to reference on their BB either before activation or after - they can then file them as they choose.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:18 PM   #6
dropscience
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107 UP.Link/6.2.3.15.0)

Interesting, I did not know that. I guess that's one thing I'll be recommending in a later release of the BES. Thanks for the reply!
Closed Thread