Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #21
rgvsean
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Nexus
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

Please Login to Remove!

This is a nightmare, I am due upgrade next month.

I will not go to Apple so I have been flirting with Android.

Wife has a wildfire so I've been trying it out and setting up my emails on it, it's not blackberry but it's not bad. All ok there.

But e-mails and text - ugh I just cannot type on the touch screen, maybe it's a big thumbs thing as my wife can type quite well on it. I can't type on my daughters 3rd gen i-touch either. Maybe it's a learning thing?

I am seriously considering keeping the bold 9000 which has been ultra reliable for me, but I also would love the OS6 browser as it would seriously help my mobile productivity. If I had a 9700 I doubt I would jump yet.

All in all - I don't need the touch screen but I like the idea of a bigger screen.

Why of why didn't they put a better chip in it?

This pushes me to look for an android with a keyboard but not seen any apps that will allow me to push emails to calendar like on BB.

I guess I am torn between multi media and BB usefulness and build quality.

Each time the Torch - although it is a disappointment just shades it in a compromise kind of way.

It seems a shame to NOT be excited about getting one.

Thanks for the great write ups, but they're not helping

Last edited by rgvsean; 09-12-2010 at 11:19 AM..
Old 09-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #22
GoHawks63
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I haven't experienced any lagging or speed issues yet.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #23
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHawks63 View Post
I haven't experienced any lagging or speed issues yet.
Same here, works fast for me.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #24
stst0001

Model: 9300
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHawks63 View Post
I think that's the point though. The touchiness of the virtual keyboard is not a fault of the Torch's touch screen, it's a symptom of virtual keyboards in general. The Torch tries to compromise by provideing a physical keyboard as well.

I will vouch that the virtual keyboard on the iPhone/iTouch is no better.

Virtual keyboard of the iPhone/Itouch/Android is in fact much-much better...
Old 09-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #25
dz8
Knows Where the Search Button Is

The iphone/android keyboard is better but that's still relative. If you've gotten used to a physical keyboard, no touch keyboard will come close. Not sure about you guys but I'm a business user and I need to type on the go. Goodluck typing on the go with a touch screen keyboard... first it's impossible with one hand. Second because of the precision required tapping the virtual keys, walking and typing is VERY hard. I had the best touch screen typists I know try while walking and they all had a miserable experience. Swype is also a neat concept and works when you're standing still but Swype is actually impossible while walking. You may laugh at this walk/type thing -- I would have too if someone brought it up -- but the next few times you are typing on the go, or typing while standing up from your desk, or typing in between meetings, take a mental note. Because I did not realize this pain point until after I switch to Android for a few weeks and ended up coming back.

Also go to the store and play with the mail apps on Android or iphone. It's a joke. May not be for folks that are not power messaging folks or people who have only had a chance to experience these crappy apps but if you have been using BB and try these other mail apps you will feel pain. Trust me. The paid apps on Android are a bit better but they still suck.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #26
kpin_it_real
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontiu View Post

Those are my thoughts..
Very good read if I must say.
I got my 9800 on release day. Came from an iPhone 3g. Initially loved it.
Started getting the lag, returned it for a Captivate.
Also loved it but it hit me that the reason I chose a BB was to get away from the iPhone and the "well don't hold it like that then" mentality.
Though the Captivate was a great piece of work, I missed the BB mail. Which is why I am back to my 9800 with a newer SW .161 and it is smoking...
Just wish the processor was up to par with the newer phones coming out.
As for apps compatibility, I am not that much of an appy person anymore but I am sure that I will find something that i wont like.
I can say this, I am an iphoner no more...
The best thing I can say for this is I am not grabbing it every few minutes to fiddle with it unless I know there is an email waiting, a text to answer or a call coming in...(don't you see that all the time with the iphoners?) I think it was more of a show (look, I have the new iPhone) than anything else...
RIM---You did a good job....just think about the processor next time...Who cares if the data is compressed and the 624Mhz appears to respond like a 1Ghz...Just give me the freaking 1GHz.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #27
GoHawks63
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stst0001 View Post
Virtual keyboard of the iPhone/Itouch/Android is in fact much-much better...

I guess it's a matter of preference then as I don't agree. I can't speak to the Android, but I have an iTouch, and my wife had an iPhone (2nd gen), and has just moved up to the iPhone 4 so I've had first hand experiences with these devices.

For anything more than a casual email, the touch screens on those devices is just as inadequate as the one on the Torch (again for typing). I'm not referring to navigation and other usability.
Closed Thread