Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
harryagina

Model: Bold5
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Airtel NG
Default Corrupt Files in Bold 5 Device

Please Login to Remove!

My problem with Bold 5 started when I plugged it into a guy's computer to exchange files. All files in "Device" and "Media Card" got corrupted, and now having additional ".ink" at the end of every file name. The corrupt files with the additional ".ink" following the file names in the "Device" and "Media card" cannot be opened. Any new file that I add to the "Device" and "Media card" folders also gets corrupted with the same ".ink" tag and becomes inaccessible too. Then I realized that using the "show hidden" option I have good duplicates of all the files in the "Device" and "Media Card" in their original names and I can open them. Mind you, I can not delete the corrupt files either. They return each time I delete them. My big problem now is that I cannot attach and uplink any of the files to send in email because the "Device" and "Media Card" are empty when I browse to them to attach files. And, I cannot access the "Show Hidden" option while in the attach mode. Also, my music has all disappeared, and when I try to sync them again from my laptop to the Bold 5 it tells me that the files already exist, and yet I cannot find them to play when I get to the music platform in Bold 5. Somebody heeellllp...pleeeaaassssee!!!
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND
Default Re: Corrupt Files in Bold 5 Device

Sounds like you copied an infected file(s) to your device. The virus duplicates all your folders and files with an added .ink descriptor.

Move the unaffected files/folders to a PC, format your SD Card and copy all the data back.

Don't plug your 9900 into some "guy's" computer next time.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Classy username too.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
fourstringfuror

Model: Q10
Carrier: VZW

I want to hear more about this Bold 5.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
harryagina

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryagina View Post
My problem with Bold 5 started when I plugged it into a guy's computer to exchange files. All files in "Device" and "Media Card" got corrupted, and now having additional ".ink" at the end of every file name. The corrupt files with the additional ".ink" following the file names in the "Device" and "Media card" cannot be opened. Any new file that I add to the "Device" and "Media card" folders also gets corrupted with the same ".ink" tag and becomes inaccessible too. Then I realized that using the "show hidden" option I have good duplicates of all the files in the "Device" and "Media Card" in their original names and I can open them. Mind you, I can not delete the corrupt files either. They return each time I delete them. My big problem now is that I cannot attach and uplink any of the files to send in email because the "Device" and "Media Card" are empty when I browse to them to attach files. And, I cannot access the "Show Hidden" option while in the attach mode. Also, my music has all disappeared, and when I try to sync them again from my laptop to the Bold 5 it tells me that the files already exist, and yet I cannot find them to play when I get to the music platform in Bold 5. Somebody heeellllp...pleeeaaassssee!!!
Thanks a million. But how. And where do I format the Bold 5 SD without messing with important system files?
Old 12-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
harryagina

Quote:
Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
harryagina

Thanks a million. But how and where do I format the Bold 5 SD without messing with important system files?
Old 12-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

There are no system files on the sd card. That's only for media - pictures, ringtones, videos, music, etc. All system files are stored in the BlackBerry's internal (built in) memory. If you reformat the sd card you will wipe all data on the card but not the internal memory.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:03 AM   #9
harryagina

Quote:
Thanks a million. But how and where do I format the Bold 5 SD without messing with important system files?
Thanks again. But one final question. Please what is the right process? When I plug the Bold to my laptop two icons appear on the laptop. One is G drive and the other is F drive. Do I right click and format G or F or both? Also, does formatting erase phone book with all the contacts?
Old 12-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
ZombieBerry

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

Format whatever drive is your SDCard. The SDCard does not hold contact information and it does not keep system files either.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
harryagina

Guess what! I formatted, put back my files and sync my music. Everything seemed alright until I went on the net and tried to uplink files to email. All the files got corrupted again and my music disappeared again.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

What does "uplink files to e-mail" mean?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:48 AM   #13
harryagina

To uplink files I mean to attach files to email message.
Closed Thread