Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9860
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada
Default Re: Blackberry Fusion Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidingSeraph View Post
If I go this route how is that you connect the playbook up to it?

A.
Once you successfully install the BB device service, and create an account for the playbook, you will need to navigate to the Web Desktop Manager associated with the BB device service and activate the Playbook via USB connection (make sure to log into Web Desktop Manager with the credentials of the playbook account you just created).[/QUOTE]

So what I don't get from your message is am I do plug the playbook into the Fusion server with the USB cable while accessing the WDM on it?

A.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #22
AbidingSeraph
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9850
Carrier: Verizon

So what I don't get from your message is am I do plug the playbook into the Fusion server with the USB cable while accessing the WDM on it?

A.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily, I plugged mine in to my workstation. As long as you can navigate to the web desktop console from your browser you should be fine. Also, I had some trouble activating the device using Google Chrome for my browser, so I had to switch to IE and it worked fine.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #23
shotput87

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular

Does BB Fusion Mobile have a native email/contact/calendar client for IPhone/Android like Good Enterprise does? We are trying to decide between the two platforms. Our main priority is shutting down Activesync on our firewall.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #24
AbidingSeraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotput87 View Post
Does BB Fusion Mobile have a native email/contact/calendar client for IPhone/Android like Good Enterprise does? We are trying to decide between the two platforms. Our main priority is shutting down Activesync on our firewall.
No there are no native email clients, my understanding is that the Fusion (Universal Device Service) works in tandem with Active Sync. Therefore you could activate a device using Fusion and it would pre-populate the Active Sync credentials for the Active sync activation, but they are technically two separate activations. I am unaware if there are any other email clients that will work with the UDS.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #25
shotput87

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular

Thanks AbidingSeraph
I thought BB Fusion Mobile would be on par with Enterprise Server, when you are trying to secure smart phones. I do not see the value unless your pushing several custom apps to the smartphones. Is there any reason to use Fusion Mobile over Good Enterprise?
Old 04-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #26
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

good charges monthly and BES is one time fee
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #27
AbidingSeraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
good charges monthly and BES is one time fee
Actually my understanding is that the pricing structure for UDS is free for server license, but non-BB device cals are not free, and pricing is based upon volume.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #28
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Actually my understanding is that the pricing structure for UDS is free for server license, but non-BB device cals are not free, and pricing is based upon volume.
That's how I understand it as well. Too bad this isn't available for GroupWise. Looks like we are going to have to go with another MDM solution.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #29
AbidingSeraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotput87 View Post
Thanks AbidingSeraph
I thought BB Fusion Mobile would be on par with Enterprise Server, when you are trying to secure smart phones. I do not see the value unless your pushing several custom apps to the smartphones. Is there any reason to use Fusion Mobile over Good Enterprise?
I am attempting to make this determination within our Enterprise as well, so I don't have definitive answers as of yet. However, so far it would appear that the benefit of Fusion suite of products is the integration that is available with your existing BB deployment. I haven't seen anything within the Fusion suite that completely differentiates it from similar competing products out there with the exception how well it integrates with the existing BES infrastructure.

Another reason would be that if you don't go with Fusion, you likely will not be able to deploy the BBX devices once they are released (this is speculation on my part). So if your enterprise is going to stay with BB long term these are factors your enterprise will need to take into consideration moving forward.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #30
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Quote:
True, BES Express is free with free CALs, Fusion is free but needs device CALs purchased.
It doesn't even matter

Old 04-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #31
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:

Another reason would be that if you don't go with Fusion, you likely will not be able to deploy the BBX devices once they are released (this is speculation on my part). So if your enterprise is going to stay with BB long term these are factors your enterprise will need to take into consideration moving forward.
From what I have heard (through my rep at RIM) is that the new BB10 devices will use the ActiveSync protocol, so you wouldn't "need" Mobile Fusion, but any other ActiveSync enabled solution should work as well.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #32
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Problem with active sync is that any user can activate any amount of devices unless you prevent it. Exchange 2003 isnt fun for this as it cant really block a device unless you set to wipe it and dont remove it after.

Exch 2010 can block devices by type. I am looking forward to this as my iusers like to activate all the ithings and whine when I say to remove it or it gets wiped. Then they clain I cant wipe a personal device. "we have a policy that un authorised devices will be wipe with out question" is mention, then it gets removed.

Maybe Fusion will help in this aspect.

I just dont get why someone would want 5+ mobile devies getting the same info and their laptop, home PC, moms PC, and more.

I scour my IIS logs to see what users are doing once a week. It is amazing how many times they will activate devices because they can with EAS.
It doesn't even matter

Last edited by knottyrope; 04-03-2012 at 04:07 PM..
Old 04-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #33
AbidingSeraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
Problem with active sync is that any user can activate any amount of devices unless you prevent it. Exchange 2003 isnt fun for this as it cant really block a device unless you set to wipe it and dont remove it after.

Exch 2010 can block devices by type. I am looking forward to this as my iusers like to activate all the ithings and whine when I say to remove it or it gets wiped. Then they clain I cant wipe a personal device. "we have a policy that un authorised devices will be wipe with out question" is mention, then it gets removed.

Maybe Fusion will help in this aspect.

I just dont get why someone would want 5+ mobile devies getting the same info and their laptop, home PC, moms PC, and more.

I scour my IIS logs to see what users are doing once a week. It is amazing how many times they will activate devices because they can with EAS.
No joke, I feel your pain. I am still trying to determine if there is a way to prevent users from bypassing Fusion and activating directly with Active Sync. We are on Exch 2003 still, and I'm not sure if there is a way differentiate between devices that would use Fusion verses those that only use active sync (short of pulling a report and manually nuking the offenders)
Old 04-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #34
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

send out a email to everyone that it will be wiped that night, scour logs, wipe them and see all the people whine when they didnt think your were serious.
It doesn't even matter

Old 04-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #35
GrandMstrBud
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
PIN: 2075BBB4
Carrier: Carrier

This is a complete pain to get installed and when installed it doesn't work and the instructions are worthless
Old 04-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #36
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW

I have to agree this is such a pain to understand and setup. The old BES was cake. Make a service account, assign permissions and away you go. Fusion / BDS / UDS is a mix on EAS and IIS so you need a solid understanding of IIS web pages and ports needed.

I have Fusion installed which is basically your new BAS. It can "consume" your other BAS (BES, Server Express, BDS (Playbook and BB10) and UDS (iOS, Android) consoles so you have a single admin GUI. Installing BDS and UDS is not required if you want to spruce up your BAS look and consolidate the admin GUI for your support staff.

UDS refuses to install for me. I get to the Communication Module Information section and it states there is a port conflict and the installer blows up. I've tried changing this and nothing is taking. Grrrr

The kicker is BDS and UDS cannot be on the same server as they use the same ports for the admin GUI's.

This is gettting way to complicated and the amount of servers needed is killing me.

Like many of you we're still running Exch2003 and we already use Good Technology (adequate) but we're looking at other MDM's at this point and it's basically a crap shoot. Some do other stuff well and some do some stuff lousy. It depends what you want to manage and how granual you wish to get.

At the moment I like AirWatch, it has promise. RIM needs to get Fusion / BDS / UDS ironed out as I think a lot of companies are not going to bother and decide to keep using BES until the NOC gets taken offline and use a secondary MDM until no more users have a Blackberry, which if anyone else is like our trending won't take that much longer.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #37
ScratchDuffer

Model: 0000
Carrier: Bell

Does MDM require and iOS device/Android to have an exchange mailbox to control it? We have BES 4 with some blackberry users but have developed an app for droid/iOS for our drivers to track loads/signature capture. We don't need mail on it, so thats kind of a sticking point looking at this product vs others and whether we upgrade to this suite or not.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #38
AbidingSeraph

Has anyone successfully installed the "Universal Device Service" yet? So far I haven't heard any success stories with it....I know I haven't been able to get it working yet, and I am currently waiting on T-support to get back with me.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #39
unpp

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottj3 View Post
I am not sure installation is quite that easy. I am installing on a fresh server and getting the Java errors installing update 22 that abort the entire installation. I tried manually installing the Java update and did so successfully, but when I ran Mobile Fusion Setup again it STILL wanted to do its own install and bombed out again. Any thoughts?

Also, the install program earlier in the routine installs Java update 18 which it says is required. So is Java update 22 supposed to override 18 or go in its own folder?

Thanks
Hi Scott,

Did you try installing java in static mode prior to running the installer? Looks like the java install has issues if 8.3 naming is disabled:

*ww.blackberry.com/btsc/KB31017

Looking at this KB it looks like you were on the right track but just needed to add a static switch when you were manually installing:

*ww.blackberry.com/btsc/KB31074

I can't post URLS so you'll have to replace the w
Closed Thread