Old 07-10-2007, 10:41 PM   #1
kennyc01

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mo
Lightbulb BB Rubber Skin from ebay + Homemade Screen Protector

Please Login to Remove!

First post, so be nice.

I got a pearl last week and immediately start playing with it. So far I got it unlocked (T-mo to go on AT&T), upgraded OS to 4.2.1.101, and paired it successfully with my TL. Then I started the search for a good case or two.

Seidio has some real nice case but they are kinda expensive in my opinion. I went to ebay and found plenty of cheap case and decided to get a silicone skin and an aluminum hard case. The silicone skin arrived today and I thought I might do a mini review for it.

Here's the silicone skin.

First thing I see is how easy these skins pick up dirt and cat hairs. The flash from the camera also makes them more pronounced. In addition, there are some cast lines showing on the rubber. Oh well, I guess I will have to live with those.

I chose this skin over others because of it's coverage, specifically the coverage of the keyboard. Let's see how it fits.

The first time I tried to put it on by sliding the pearl from the lower opening. It was pain in the ass. I figured out that you can install the case by sliding the lower part of the pearl into the skin through the screen opening and then pull the rest of the skin up and cover the upper part of the skin. This makes the installation a cinch.

The skin fits surprisingly well for a sub $10 case - all the opening cutouts are right on. Another surprise is that it's actually easier to type now with the silicone skin on. And as with rest of the skin, the silicone keyboard keys match with what's underneath. There is one drawback - it's now harder to access the pearl ball. I can still use it quite well. It's just a trade off for a full keyboard coverage.

With the rest of the pearl covered, I started looking at something that will protect the screen. I have a piece of headlight protector leftover. It's essentially a piece of clear, pliable, self-adhesive material that prevents road debris from cracking/chipping the headlamp.

I measured the rubber skin opening and cut of piece sized 4.1cm x 4.2cm. Installation was about as painful as it gets. It's nearly impossible to apply this piece of thick plastic on to the screen material without air bubbles get trapped underneath. The trick is to remove battery, micro-sd, sim card, clean the screen with alcohol, use a cotton swab and wet the screen with alcohol (disclaimer: this is how I did it, do blame me if you break your BB) and lay the plastic cover on the screen, start from the middle and "squeegee" it toward the outside. It's a lot harder to apply than regular screen protectors but @ 1mm thick, it can take heck a lot more beating.

Now my BB Pearl is completely protected.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
808flip

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

but now completely ugly....
Old 07-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #3
kennyc01

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mo

function over form

personal preference.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:49 PM   #4
808flip

true, true
Old 07-11-2007, 06:56 AM   #5
MADSLEG
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Anyway
Nice review
tnx, now I know I donxxx8217;t need that rubber case ))
Old 07-11-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
ratm68

Sorry but that's one ugly skin and it hurts me to see that you covered up a beautiful Pearl with that piece of rubber. Does light shine through the keyboard button cover? Sounds like you went through a lot of trouble for the screen cover to give it some additional protection when you could of spent $10 to buy some precut cover that's easier to apply and provide. to each his own
Old 07-12-2007, 12:16 AM   #7
bonelafide

PIN: 23FFECE7

haha, it looks like its going to war.

Cool mods i guess.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:54 AM   #8
gringoenterprises

Model: 8320
PIN: 23F73F86
Carrier: T-Mobile
Thumbs up Got the same one

I have the same one. I love the skin. It's easy to take on and off and I know my Pearl is protected. I work in a factory and know from experience what can happen when delicate electronics meet a concrete floor. Not real pretty but it comes off on weekends at home.
Closed Thread