BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
BayshoreTommy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: 317AF8EC
Carrier: Verizon
Angry Finally! Official Response from Verizon about GPS Cripple!

Please Login to Remove!

After asking this question tons of time in the forums, sending emails to Verizon I finally got a answer, not exactly the answer I was looking for but at least its something, also see my comments below their response:

--------------

As I'm sure you can understand, different wireless phones have different capabilities. Not every phone will have every functionality. This is true with any wireless carrier.

Some wireless phones may not have V-Cast Music for instance, but may have other functions in its place. Similarly, the BlackBerry 8700's functions simply do not include VZ Navigator at this time. This is not due to a conscious decision to deprive users of that phone of our VZ Navigator service, Mr. Orndorf. It is related to the phone's memory capacity, functionality in other areas, cost, and manufacturer's specifications.

I hope we will have the opportunity to serve your wireless needs in the future.

--------------

Ok, question, if this is the case, then WHY would you cripple the internal GPS if it doesnt work with VZ Navigator?
Sounds like a bunch of smoke and mirrors but at least its something for all of us patiently stuck in a Verizon contract with a 8703e waiting to use the built in GPS!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
I Love Bluetooth
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e

Which is the exact reason I am jumping ship.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:49 PM   #3
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Thanks BayshoreTommy for the post. Hopefully future BB with VZW will be GPS capable without the need for a BT puck.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
scaredpoet
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: iPhon
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZW
--------------
Some wireless phones may not have V-Cast Music for instance, but may have other functions in its place. Similarly, the BlackBerry 8700's functions simply do not include VZ Navigator at this time. This is not due to a conscious decision to deprive users of that phone of our VZ Navigator service, Mr. Orndorf. It is related to the phone's memory capacity, functionality in other areas, cost, and manufacturer's specifications.
--------------
Ahh, a textbook response from Verizon: snooty, in the superior tone, assumes the customer doesn't know what he or she is talking about, and is written from the point of view that Verizon is the only carrier that counts. I'm sure the question wasn't about VZNavigator, but about why GPS capability is disabled AT ALL. It also ignores the fact that other carriers *ahem Sprint ahem* seems to have no trouble at all fitting a perfectly good GPS navigator into the exact same model of Blackberry, with room to spare.

This is why I left Verizon. That, and I can get the same level fo service and coverage from my current carrier, at far less of a monthly rate.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:31 PM   #5
albiesf
Thumbs Must Hurt

That's too bad Verizon gave that kind of response. Outside of the crippled GPS, my 8703e and Verizon coverage for me is the best. Hopefully, the GPS situation changes soon.

"There's a time for compromise...it's called later".
Old 01-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

So it's disabled because they haven't figured out how to require you to subscribe to their service?? There's no need to use VZ Navigator as the 8703e's GPS works perfectly well with 3rd paty apps regardless of carrier.

Again, a good reason in my book to not even bother with Verizon, despite their generally very good coverage.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
seaneboyee
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 30159745
Carrier: Sprint

I also switched back to Sprint from Verizon when I found out that Sprint was releasing their 8703e WITH GPS support. I have to agree that Verizon has the best coverage in Hawaii but even with a 20% employee discount, their monthly service plan was STILL a lot higher than what I got with Sprint. That is even with my $9.99 monthly service fee with Telenav!

Sprint BlackBerry 8703e
Closed Thread