Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
gren2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: bell
Default aftermarket car chargers

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone have any input on whether its a good idea to use an aftermarket car charger to charge the bb?

thanx
Old 12-08-2005, 02:14 PM   #2
markhutchison
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Wink

It shouldn't be an issue; I have used a few different types of chargers with my 7250 and to no ill effect. The only caveat is that some aftermarket companies have less strict manufacturing standards and the unit may fail sooner than an OEM unit. Ask about the length and terms of warranty just in case.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
gren2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: bell

forgive me for my ignorance-whats and oem charger ?
Old 12-08-2005, 08:14 PM   #4
JayEdwards
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: sprint

OEM=Original Equipment Manufactured
Old 12-08-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Not all car chargers will work, nor will all AC chargers. Do a search on this forum. I have a car and wall charger that won't work with the BB. On my 7290, it shows the charge symbol for about 10 seconds, then it goes away.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:10 PM   #6
PGChi

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile

Just a quick note here if this pertains your case. You can use a Motorola Razr car charger to charge the blackberry but not a blackberry car charger to charge the Razr. I have both devices and learnt it the hard way. If you find a cheaper Razr. charger just go for it. I saw one at Amazon for like $6
Old 12-09-2005, 04:03 AM   #7
fliedlice
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700G
Carrier: T-Mobile

ive been using the belkin car charger from wal-mart for almost six months and no problems yet
Old 01-05-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
redthatch

Model: 7290

I just got the Verizon RAZR and it won't charge with anything except a Motorola AC or Auto charger or a "Motorola" USB cable (really, it gives an "Unauthorized Charger" message is you plug in a non-Motorola charger). My BB 7290 seems to charge fine from the Motorola chargers. Both chargers are 5 volt. The BB AC charger is 500 ma, the RAZR AC charger is 850 ma. Does anyone know if this higher output will damage my 7290?
Old 02-01-2006, 07:35 PM   #9
bobn

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular

i have used without incident
Old 02-01-2006, 07:42 PM   #10
PingGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

The jury is still out on this for me. I bought an aftermarket car charger before I read here that it is best to stick with OEM. I've used it infrequently but whenever I do it seems the charge from it last a very short time. Plus my battery life has been pitifull lately and it's almost a year old. I'm seriously considering buying an extended battery and picking up an OEM car charger. Even if it's all in my head I'd hate to chance ruining a perfectly good new battery that I spent money on.

Previous: Nextel BB7520 w/ Plantronics Discovery 640
Old 02-07-2006, 04:32 PM   #11
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

Batteries and charging devices it's better to stay OEM. AS I have said in these forums and elsewhere many times... You have a certain expectation of device performance, the OEM accessories will provide it. It's often that a user will say oh my ______'s battery life sucks. Somethimes this can be attributed to incorrect charging by an aftermarket device. Or the supposed extended battery is really just a cheap knockoff of the standard battery but the vendor claims twice the capacity.

I have been in the wireless business 14 years and have seen many aftermarket accessories come and go. I don't take this position randomly - it's from experience over time. From a business perspective we don't make as much money as we could if we did sell you the aftermarket charger. But I think customer satisfaction is higher long term.

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 02-07-2006, 04:41 PM   #12
markhutchison
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by redthatch
I just got the Verizon RAZR and it won't charge with anything except a Motorola AC or Auto charger or a "Motorola" USB cable (really, it gives an "Unauthorized Charger" message is you plug in a non-Motorola charger). My BB 7290 seems to charge fine from the Motorola chargers. Both chargers are 5 volt. The BB AC charger is 500 ma, the RAZR AC charger is 850 ma. Does anyone know if this higher output will damage my 7290?
If the BlackBerry had separate charging/data ports I would say that the higher amperage can't hurt ... if anything it may charge your battery a little faster.

However, since we're talking about a port that doubles for data traffic, and there are indications that there is something non-standard in the wiring for the RAZR charger, I would be wary.

Do I think you're likely to fry your BB? No.

Would I be willing to make that assertion with confidence? No.
Closed Thread