Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 12:30 AM   #1
yg17
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Unlocking Pearl question...

Please Login to Remove!

I have a question about unlocking my T-Mobile Pearl. We may be going on vacation overseas this summer (crossing my fingers!) and would likely buy a prepaid SIM. I'm coming up on my 90 days with T-Mobile and will likely request my unlock code just in case we do go out of the country, and if not, unlock it just for the hell of it. I thought I heard with some phones, you need to put in another carriers SIM before you can enter the unlock code. Is the Pearl the same way, or can I unlock it without having a non T-Mobile SIM? I don't want to waste my unlock code if I can't actually unlock it. Thanks
Old 02-24-2007, 12:44 AM   #2
bbgambit

Model: 9700
Carrier: TMO

I recently unlock my T-Mobile Pearl without the need of poping in a SIM from another carrier. I called CS and requested unlock code and got it via email with instruction within 2 days. Whole process pretty simple and no hassel.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:31 AM   #3
FarSeide
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgambit
I recently unlock my T-Mobile Pearl without the need of poping in a SIM from another carrier. I called CS and requested unlock code and got it via email with instruction within 2 days. Whole process pretty simple and no hassel.

+1, you dont need any other SIM card to unlock your Pearl.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
zachberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820

what is the main advantage of unlocking it?
Old 02-24-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by yg17
I thought I heard with some phones, you need to put in another carriers SIM before you can enter the unlock code. Is the Pearl the same way, or can I unlock it without having a non T-Mobile SIM? I don't want to waste my unlock code if I can't actually unlock it. Thanks
Never heard of this on a BB..... Once you get the code and instructions from T-Mo just follow them and you will be a-ok and unlocked in no time flat!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachberry
what is the main advantage of unlocking it?
Most BlackBerrys come "locked" to a specific carrier. You can only use them with a SIM card from that carrier.

Unlocking a BlackBerry (or any locked phone) allows you to use another carriers SIM card in it.

Please note that when using another carriers SIM card in a BlackBerry, you have to ensure that the SIM card has a BlackBerry Data Plan on it, otherwise you will just have voice and SMS text on it. No data at all.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:01 PM   #7
erroneus
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

I'm travelling to Japan next week. Do you think TMobile would give me the unlock even though I just got this phone less than a week ago? (Been with them since 2004 though) What pretense or reason was offered for wanting to unlock it?
Old 02-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
Berryguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile

TMo should have no issue giving you the unlock codes... in fact majority of world GSM phones are sold unlocked. Locking is only a way of ensuring you do not migrate to someone else... There are websites that help to unlock the phone in case TMo has any issue, I think they charge about $25 or so.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berryguy
TMo should have no issue giving you the unlock codes... in fact majority of world GSM phones are sold unlocked. Locking is only a way of ensuring you do not migrate to someone else... There are websites that help to unlock the phone in case TMo has any issue, I think they charge about $25 or so.
To answer the Q.... It does not matter how long you have had the device.... As long as you have been with T-Mo for more than 90 days and are a customer in good standing they will give it to you...

As for the majority of GSM phones getting sold unlocked.... I don't agree with that statement..... ALL devices in the US are sold locked to a carrier...
Old 02-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by erroneus
I'm travelling to Japan next week. Do you think TMobile would give me the unlock even though I just got this phone less than a week ago? (Been with them since 2004 though) What pretense or reason was offered for wanting to unlock it?
Japan has a different wireless phone system. Japan does not have GSM/GPRS. Your phone will not work there. You can contact T-Mobile about getting you a J-Mode phone (or 3G) or you can rent one there. But your GSM T-Mobile phone will not work there.
Closed Thread