BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 06:22 PM   #21
SlamMan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mo

Please Login to Remove!

jibi posted this in the "TMO & Zen Theme" thread but here it is. I just tried it and it works and was very easy.

http://blackberryforums.com/showpost...1&postcount=30
Old 04-20-2006, 06:22 PM   #22
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority
Thumbs up

I tried the Zen theme and at 1st did not like it. After using it for most of the day today I think I will stick with it. Pretty sweet theme. It does take a bit to get adjusted to if you have been using the standard BB system for a while but so far I like it more and more as I get adjusted to it.

Last edited by LunkHead; 04-20-2006 at 06:25 PM..
Old 04-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #23
allenranger2
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700g
Carrier: AT&T

I kinda dont like the Zen after trying it for the day as well (thanks to those who created the Manual on opening it up). I feel that there's alot of scrolling, as to where you can just use ALT+scroll on the normal theme. Granted it's nice to have an open area to see the background picture, I constantly jump from app to app, making the original good. I like the Vodafone and Orange theme too .

BB 8700g & 9000 Bold AT&T
Old 04-20-2006, 07:16 PM   #24
kd78

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

I am trying to get used to Zen but the thing I can't get past is that it seems you have to use a different icon to view your SMS/MMS messages. When I click on my messages icon, it only shows me emails and not the SMS/MMS included. Is this true? Or is there a way to merge both boxes?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #25
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd78
I am trying to get used to Zen but the thing I can't get past is that it seems you have to use a different icon to view your SMS/MMS messages. When I click on my messages icon, it only shows me emails and not the SMS/MMS included. Is this true? Or is there a way to merge both boxes?
Unfortunately you are stuck with two inboxes- there doesn't seem to be a way to merge them.

I am in the same pickle- love the zen theme but hate multiple inboxes. I've set my left convenience key for messages and middle convenience key for sms/mms. Still hot happy. Almost considering reverting to the old theme style for the consolidated inbox.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:32 PM   #26
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenranger2
I kinda dont like the Zen after trying it for the day as well (thanks to those who created the Manual on opening it up). I feel that there's alot of scrolling, as to where you can just use ALT+scroll on the normal theme. Granted it's nice to have an open area to see the background picture, I constantly jump from app to app, making the original good. I like the Vodafone and Orange theme too .
It's best to use keyboard shortcuts to access your apps instead of scrolling to find them. Once you learn the shortcuts you will see how much easier it is. Then Zen really is, well, Zen! Check out page 5 of Stinsonddog's tips page:

http://home.comcast.net/~tamsterra/B...Model_Tips.pdf
Old 04-20-2006, 09:43 PM   #27
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

I don't get how anyone could dislike having two inboxes. I love it. I use email primarily for business with a few exceptions and use sms for personal use. Having two inboxes is great.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:47 PM   #28
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfanatic
I don't get how anyone could dislike having two inboxes. I love it. I use email primarily for business with a few exceptions and use sms for personal use. Having two inboxes is great.
I suppose for me a message is a message. If my blackberry alerts a message, then I like to go into a single, consolidated inbox to see the message- and to have an accurate chronology inclusive of both sms messages as well as pins/emails/etc.

It's all personal preference. And it probably comes down to simple habit. I've been using the Zen theme for a week and am considering going to a different theme because of the seperate inboxes. The simplicity and clean appearence of the zen theme with a single mailbox would be awesome.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:48 PM   #29
Seattle18

I went back to the Vodafone theme for about 6 hours, then I came right back to Zen...
Old 04-20-2006, 10:33 PM   #30
kd78

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneToronto
I suppose for me a message is a message. If my blackberry alerts a message, then I like to go into a single, consolidated inbox to see the message- and to have an accurate chronology inclusive of both sms messages as well as pins/emails/etc.

It's all personal preference. And it probably comes down to simple habit. I've been using the Zen theme for a week and am considering going to a different theme because of the seperate inboxes. The simplicity and clean appearence of the zen theme with a single mailbox would be awesome.
I couldn't agree more. When I get an alert, I want to be able to go to one inbox to see all incoming messages.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:23 AM   #31
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon

Can't imagine my bb without Zen. After the bharti download, it's all I've used. There's a new theme called Smoothie at mobile.blackberry.com. Didn't even download it.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:40 AM   #32
cooperpwc

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff
Can't imagine my bb without Zen. After the bharti download, it's all I've used. There's a new theme called Smoothie at mobile.blackberry.com. Didn't even download it.
Just as well too. After the quality of their Wave them, Plazmic's Smoothie was a real disappointment. It's frankly shoddy. (For example, anyone that has it, I don't anymore, can check the line crowding in the Profiles screen.)
Old 04-21-2006, 02:35 PM   #33
surferduder

Model: 7290

I am currently using BES. Does this process wipe out all the emails, sms, phone log, etc that are currently on the blackberry? Just wondering since the instructions indicate that I will have to reconnect to my BES.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:43 PM   #34
cooperpwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferduder
I am currently using BES. Does this process wipe out all the emails, sms, phone log, etc that are currently on the blackberry? Just wondering since the instructions indicate that I will have to reconnect to my BES.

Thanks.
A data back-up and restore will certainly save all your emails, sms and phone log, and I believe that it should also save and restore your BES settings. But as to whether your BES administrator will have to do something to reconnect you to the system (equivalent to resending a BIS service book), there I am not sure. Anyone have experience with this?
Old 04-22-2006, 01:37 AM   #35
spblat

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
It's best to use keyboard shortcuts to access your apps instead of scrolling to find them. Once you learn the shortcuts you will see how much easier it is. Then Zen really is, well, Zen! Check out page 5 of Stinsonddog's tips page:

http://home.comcast.net/~tamsterra/B...Model_Tips.pdf
Awesome writeup.

Here's something I haven't seen anywhere. While using the Zen theme, you can adjust the order of the apps. Options -> Home Screen -> Organize Applications. This option also lets you hide apps like the Alt-Clickwheel trick in "normal" themes.

I can't be the first person to discover this, but I hadn't noticed this tip elsewhere. Has anyone consolodated Zen knowledge into one thread?

Last edited by spblat; 04-22-2006 at 01:39 AM..
Old 04-22-2006, 03:12 AM   #36
Seattle18

This has been widely posted, but the info is scattered, so it's understandable you have not seen it.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:02 AM   #37
Postalrecon

Model: N80

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenranger2
you can always use the convienence key on the front, all the apps have shortcuts ex conv. key then a for address book. it eliminates scrolling

http://xninjax.vox.com/
Old 04-23-2006, 10:49 AM   #38
bberryjfk

Model: 8700

Will following your steps to install bharti just affect appearance/icons , or will it help function, performance and/or sound clarity? I guess I just donxxx8217;t understand if I should definitely do this or if its superfluous/for fun. I love the unit, but I am disappointed in phone sound and clarity on both ends xxx8211; especially when using my in car built in Bluetooth (Infiniti M35). Well this truly help? Is it something you recommend as worth it for an average user just using the device for phone, email and outlook/calendar??? Thanks !!! bberryjfk
Old 04-23-2006, 12:49 PM   #39
cooperpwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postalrecon
you can always use the convienence key on the front, all the apps have shortcuts ex conv. key then a for address book. it eliminates scrolling
Glad you mentioned this because I am not sure how many people know this benefit of Zen. Dropping down the Applications Menu with the Front Convenience Key activates all the hot keys (exactly as if you were back at the Home Screen). It's a great way to move from application to application.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:21 PM   #40
frank_m
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

a great feature of the Zen theme I just discovered..

if you go in to the options, there is a new option called 'home screen' that allows you to change the order of the icons, therefore you can decide what icons are on the home screen..

this is a new find of mine, maby it's old news to others..