Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
CoolChris

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Talking Why I went Sprint 9630 over TMobile 8900

Please Login to Remove!

sup everyone.... this is my first post so go easy and let me know your opinions....

Previous phones: early winmo (hacked), 8100, back to mogul (flashed) then previous to this one the touch pro (flashed).

Now... I was already on Sprint with the Touch Pro and loved the fun of flashing/customizing the interface. The phone connects to everything and I love the Outlook-like interface for messaging/email. Whats so bad ? You already know... Windows freezing... memory management all of the time is a chore and on top of that, the batter wouldn't last my commute to work if I had to be on it.

With the opportunity to come back to a Blackberry, I had to decide whether to stay with Sprint (how i love rev A, it's nice where I go) or to go back to TMobile, enjoy UMA (everyone, i mean everyone one of my friends and family members around here has wireless, work has wireless, resturaunts have wireless if you eat there). So you see my dilemna.

Why I chose Sprint:

I tether my laptop a lot. Rev A was a decider. Who needs wireless when you get dsl like speeds almost everywhere you go? BTW, im in the Los angeles metro area. Also, I need a phone that works everywhere, all the time. Sprint goes in elevetors, Tmo dont. Period. I need a phone to work. I was tired of having to charge every 2 hours after heavy use... hell, I havent turned on wi-fi in so long (on my phone). My netbook boots in < minute and weighs almost as much as my phone, so I just tether.

Customer service has gotten better @ Sprint, there's no denying that. And Sprint doesn't lock out services. (not that TMO does, thats stupid Verizon) Tether setup was a breeze... and call clarity is pristine.

My opinion:

While the phone 8900 vs 9630 may be subjective, reception also subjective, it really comes down to UMA vs Rev A. UMA would be great but I dont want to depend on connecting to some random wi-fi for the best experience when out on the town and have to connect to wireless networks i know all the time. That's like having a long cord on my phone. Rev A is going network-wide... so if it's not in your area, it will be. Plus, doesn't the CDMA run on our new 4g ? (I dont know, had to throw that out there)... that sounds like real promise.

And why not go to Verizon 9630 ?

Sprint tethers in 5 mins with no extra fees.... no worries about stupid bloatware; but most of all, $$$.

** $$$ for getting out of my contract was not an issue. I was getting a great deal on a new 8900 w/contract. (damn near free so just the $200 cancellation concern mostly.)

Last edited by CoolChris; 07-24-2009 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Wirelessly posted (My blond BlackBerry)

Sounds like you picked what works best for you

I've never had my device stay connected in an elevator, you must be lucky for that.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
knhellesky
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChris View Post
Why I chose Sprint:

I tether my laptop a lot................Tether setup was a breeze... and call clarity is pristine.
What do you use (app, hack, etc.) to tether? Just curious. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
matthewcdanner

Model: 8330
Default Download movies

Can you download movies onto your BB 8330??
Old 07-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
CoolChris

Sure.. tethering was a snap...

create a new dial up connection under Network Connections using the connection wizard and use #777 as the phone number to dial. Make sure you have bb desktop running and it is connected via usb. (probably works w/BT as well) And thats it. Enjoy!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:07 AM   #6
SD350

Tried this with my tour and couldn't get it to work. I always got an error message on my computer when attempting to dial #777 for a dial-up connection.

Also tried to do it through the blackberry desktop manager where there is the IP modem option.

Couldn't get it to work. I ensured the phone's radio was on. It was connected via usb, desktop manager was open.

Can't figure it out.

Last edited by SD350; 01-11-2010 at 05:09 AM..
Old 01-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Sprint recently disabled tethering without a tethering add-on, and they've restricted the plans to which you can add the tethering feature.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:54 AM   #8
CoolChris

Yea, that's been a horrible development... Although, I haven't heard too much about UMA really being pushed by any TMO people... maybe I still made the right choice ???

I suppose a software fix is always usable....Tether something or other...
Old 01-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #9
SD350

Yeah, that may be my next move if it can't work any other way.

Anyone on sprint use that Tether app? Its only $20 on sale right now... seems worth it if it works.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:38 AM   #10
CingRep
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 30F7BB9D

I thought that you could only add the Tethering plan if you were not on the Simply Everything plan?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
neuor
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD350 View Post
Yeah, that may be my next move if it can't work any other way.

Anyone on sprint use that Tether app? Its only $20 on sale right now... seems worth it if it works.
I use Tether on Sprint and it works great!
http://garrettkelley.com
Old 01-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
Raptor_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChris View Post
sup everyone.... this is my first post so go easy and let me know your opinions....

Previous phones: early winmo (hacked), 8100, back to mogul (flashed) then previous to this one the touch pro (flashed).

Now... I was already on Sprint with the Touch Pro and loved the fun of flashing/customizing the interface. The phone connects to everything and I love the Outlook-like interface for messaging/email. Whats so bad ? You already know... Windows freezing... memory management all of the time is a chore and on top of that, the batter wouldn't last my commute to work if I had to be on it.

With the opportunity to come back to a Blackberry, I had to decide whether to stay with Sprint (how i love rev A, it's nice where I go) or to go back to TMobile, enjoy UMA (everyone, i mean everyone one of my friends and family members around here has wireless, work has wireless, resturaunts have wireless if you eat there). So you see my dilemna.

Why I chose Sprint:

I tether my laptop a lot. Rev A was a decider. Who needs wireless when you get dsl like speeds almost everywhere you go? BTW, im in the Los angeles metro area. Also, I need a phone that works everywhere, all the time. Sprint goes in elevetors, Tmo dont. Period. I need a phone to work. I was tired of having to charge every 2 hours after heavy use... hell, I havent turned on wi-fi in so long (on my phone). My netbook boots in < minute and weighs almost as much as my phone, so I just tether.

Customer service has gotten better @ Sprint, there's no denying that. And Sprint doesn't lock out services. (not that TMO does, thats stupid Verizon) Tether setup was a breeze... and call clarity is pristine.

My opinion:

While the phone 8900 vs 9630 may be subjective, reception also subjective, it really comes down to UMA vs Rev A. UMA would be great but I dont want to depend on connecting to some random wi-fi for the best experience when out on the town and have to connect to wireless networks i know all the time. That's like having a long cord on my phone. Rev A is going network-wide... so if it's not in your area, it will be. Plus, doesn't the CDMA run on our new 4g ? (I dont know, had to throw that out there)... that sounds like real promise.

And why not go to Verizon 9630 ?

Sprint tethers in 5 mins with no extra fees.... no worries about stupid bloatware; but most of all, $$$.

** $$$ for getting out of my contract was not an issue. I was getting a great deal on a new 8900 w/contract. (damn near free so just the $200 cancellation concern mostly.)
That is why I went with Sprint=$avings!
Old 01-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
mrvtx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: the tail on the donkey
Carrier: AT&T

Saw some other posts earlier that Sprint is going to disallow direct tethering.

Tether app (formerly Tetherberry) will still work on Sprint, but not direct tethering according to the poster.

I'm sure if you search you can find the thread. Don't recall exactly where it was.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #14
RUFFSTUFF
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: SPRINT

Sprint's Everything Data plan is the best out there by a longshot. Both Verizon and AT&T charge extra for smartphones, VZ at $30/month each!
Closed Thread