BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
expidia
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Which email icons to keep on desktop?

Please Login to Remove!

So I have 3 email accounts. 1 from Blackberry (which I don't use) and a Yahoo account and a Time Warner Road Runner account.

Since my PDA's desktop only allows for 6 icons to show without having to press the menu key to the next level of icons . . .

I have those showing on my desktop #1 SMS / MMS icon, #2 Browser, 3# Yahoo email envelope, 4# Messages Envelope, #5 Contacts and 6# Tasks.

1st question: Is there an external app that will allow for more than 6 icons to be displayed on the PDA's desktop? It's a pain to have to hit menu and move down to the rows of other icons.

2nd question: that blank envelope came with the phone defaulted to it on the desktop. I moved it down. I had my two email account envelopes on the desk top but sometimes even though it's a Yahoo email that I just received the message is only showing as a white star in that blank envelope and not even in the Yahoo envelope . . . this is strange.

I thought that blank envelope was like a funnel for all your messages. I had to move it back up to the desktop because sometimes checking my other two accounts shows no messages yet they show up in that blank one.

Do most of you keep the blank one on your desktop?

Thx
Old 08-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

1) Most but not all icons can be hidden.
You may have to wait for new themes when available.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 08-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
expidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

1) Most but not all icons can be hidden.
You may have to wait for new themes when available.
Thx for your reply. I know they can be hidden but you still have to do tqo steps to get to those beyond the 6 on the desktop. Just another annoyance while driving to have to fiddle drilling down into the next level of icons.

No add on apps to allow more icons to shown on the desktop?
Old 08-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

They are called THEMES.
You can download themes that will allow for different types of icon pages/arrangements etc.
However, the Tour is new. Plazmic (who make the designer for themes) hasn't released the version to make Tour themes yet.

Also, yes, most of us hide the individual email icons and use the MESSAGES icon, because MESSAGES collects all messages

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

There's 2 things you can do to make the most of your home screen real estate. I immediately hide all email account icons and use the Messages icon only. Actually you don't even need the Messages icon if you do the second thing, but I like that folder so I keep it.

The second thing is I disable dial from home screen so I can use all the keyboard shortcuts, then I don't need icons for browser, calendar, contacts, etc. because I can hit B for browser, and so on.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
angieth08
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
Thx for your reply. I know they can be hidden but you still have to do tqo steps to get to those beyond the 6 on the desktop. Just another annoyance while driving to have to fiddle drilling down into the next level of icons.

No add on apps to allow more icons to shown on the desktop?
While driving? Hmmm...
Well, I agree with daphne, just use the Messages icon.
The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. ~ James 5:16
Old 08-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
expidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
There's 2 things you can do to make the most of your home screen real estate. I immediately hide all email account icons and use the Messages icon only. Actually you don't even need the Messages icon if you do the second thing, but I like that folder so I keep it.

The second thing is I disable dial from home screen so I can use all the keyboard shortcuts, then I don't need icons for browser, calendar, contacts, etc. because I can hit B for browser, and so on.
Thx to all for the replies . . . I figured I'd have to wait for new themes for the 9630 to come out.

And for now I find the quickest way for me to call someone is to use speed dial. Is that what I'd be losing if I disabled dial . . . where can that be found to disable dial from the home screen?

I hid the email folders but how do I send an email now unless I press show all.

Are you saying you use a short cut like Y for yahoo email instead of using speed dial for the letter Y to call as an example Yasman?

Sorry for these what is to you simple questions . . . but I just came over from the dark side (Treo).

Last edited by expidia; 08-04-2009 at 09:24 PM..
Old 08-05-2009, 12:50 AM   #8
daphne

Tou can still use speed dials with dial from home screen disabled. I just tried it. I have one assigned to the L key. If I press L quickly from the home screen, it brings up calendar. If I press and hold it, the speed dial works.
To disable it, go to Phone > General Options > set Dial from home screen to no.

You can compose an email from the Messages folder. Menu > Compose Email. It will send it from your default email address, but you can also change it to send from any email account by highlighting [Default] and click Menu key. You can also send an email from your contacts/address book by going to that contact, highligting it, menu > Email 'contact name'.

With dial from home screen disabled, you can get to contacts by pressing A or C. I don't have Yahoo mail, don't know if there is a shortcut for that. Some apps use keyboard shortcuts too. PocketDay uses Y.

Somewhere here there are posts with all the home screen shortcuts. It's also on the Help on the device, but it's so darn small I can't read it. I think the user manual is on the disc that came with the Tour, so check there -- it has all the shortcuts and lots more basic info. There are also shortcuts within each app.

You can also read or download and save the manuals here:
BlackBerry Tour 9600 Series - Manuals and Guides

Also check out our BlackBerryFAQ if you haven't already for some good tips.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
expidia

Thx Daphne, I followed your instructions.

I'm also waiting for a Blackberry Tour for dummies to come out to purchase.

The booklet that it came with is just tip, hints and shortcuts and layed out awful.

Not even an index to look up something as simple as setting alarm clock etc.

The user guide on the disk is also a pain to try and navigate.

The sticky at the top is more geared to the Bold.

I'd rather have a printed book to flip through and I'll buy one when available.

I'll try and download and save the link you posted. I was having issues with Vista or the CD drive reading the user tools disk. Once I could view the guide it was too slow for me to navigate through.

Last edited by expidia; 08-05-2009 at 07:37 AM..
Old 08-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #10
daphne

The BlackBerryFAQ is different from the sticky at the top of this forum. Link is in my sig. I learned a lot from just playing with it and trying different options, and I still learn new things when someone posts something here I didn't know. There is a lot to learn, no doubt.
Closed Thread