Old 05-16-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
TheGrinch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Telstra
Default Content Protection

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

The new organisation I am working for uses an IT Policy that enables Content protection. Where I used to work, we did not have Content protection enabled. Previously when a user forgot the password to unlock their BlackBerry, I would send a "Set Password and Lock Handheld" command from the BES, & then inform them of their new password.

However when I do that at my new work place the users BlackBerry receives the prompt "There may be protected data on this handheld. Enter your current handheld password to accept the wirelessly updated password or cancel to reject.". I am ussuming this is to do with Content Protection.

As a test I assigned myself a generic policy that did not have content protection set, however it did not change the security setting on my device. I was able to manually disable content protection & content compression, but still received the message above when sending the "Set Password and Lock Handheld" command from the BES.

Does anyone know how I can get around this? Ideally I would like to create a IT policy that I can temporarily assign to a user who has forgotten their password, then set a new password using the "Set Password and Lock Handheld" command option in BlackBerry Manager, then reassign the original IT Policy to the users device. Has anyone else managed to do this successfully?

On another note, is content protection the reason why wiping a handheld now takes me up to an hour to complete?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #2
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

With Content Protection enabled everything is encrypted so you will aways have to enter the password to decrypt first.

In your scenario the user has to enter the current password to decrypt the BB first before it can write in the new password.

Another place you will see a problem is Caller ID. If the BB is locked and someone calls you will not see their name because the addressbook is encrypted.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
TheGrinch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Telstra

Thanks x14. Just after I posted the messages I contacted our carrier support centre about another issue. This evolved into a 3 way conversation that included a RIM tech. I took the opportunity to ask him the same questions. Basically, once content protection is enabled it can't be removed (even with an IT policy, or disabling it on the handheld). The device would need to be wiped, & a new IT Policy assigned that did not enforce content protection.

It's also the reason why wiping a handheld takes on average over an hour.

He did say that the option may be included in a future service release.
Closed Thread