Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
nycberry

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VERIZON
Default Need new app please!

Please Login to Remove!

Hello. I have a problem with bright, high-contrast computer screens, and my new Blackberry Storm 2 gives me a horrible migraine headache after only a short period of use. I have the backlight turned all the way down, and I have experimented with the three contrast options. The problem persists. It is only a problem with the white screens (that is to say, almost everything).

Verizon tells me there is nothing they can do.

I need a way to make all the white backgrounds on my Storm 2 grey or black. Is this possible? Anyone up for a challenge?

Thank you.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Have you tried going to Options > Advanced Options > Accessibility > Color Contrast ?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
nycberry

The Advanced Options>Accessibility>Color Contrast option does not actually change or even effect the contrast level at all. If offers three options, counting the default. If you "invert" the contrast, the blacks become white and the whites become black, along with every other color reversing (red becomes green, purple becomes yellow ...), but the contrast remains at the exact same level. When you switch to "gray scale", it just goes to black and white, with no color, but the same contrast level.

I need to change my white backgrounds to black (or gray), without effecting how other colors appear.

Is it possible?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

You could try finding a theme that you could download that has dark wallpapers and colors. I don't know of any off the top of my head. You could also find a screen protector that has a tint to it. They are usually labeled as "privacy screen protectors".
Old 04-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
nycberry

Downloading a new theme: I looked into it, but none that I saw seemed to directly address my problem, which is the screens that normall appear as white, like the address book, email inboxes, text messages, this website, etc., etc., etc.

As for the privacy screen protectors, I went to the Verizon store today and asked about them. I was told that those would prevent the touch screen from working. I took the salesperson's word for it, but if anyone here has tried that and is willing to say the salesperson I spoke to was mistaken, I will give it a shot.

In the meantime, I have created a Facebook group, Blinded by My Blackberry, which I invite anyone with a similar problem to join. Hopefully it can generate some interest and influence Research In Motion or any other company to offer more contrast options.

Thanks and keep the ideas coming.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

Why would a screen protector make the screen unusable? I haven't seen too many Storms in person before, but my friends with iPhones who have those screen protectors can use the touchscreen just fine.
blue.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Agree with Noodle, I had a screen protector on my Storm and didn't have a problem. (other then my nature dislike for touch screen) I think the rep was just stupid.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
neil154
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

I have a Storm 2 with a screen protector (not a privacy type) and the touch features work just fine. The sales person at Verizon tried to sell me the privacy screen for the Storm 2 but I decided I did not want it.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I agree with Noodle22. Screen protectors should work
Old 05-01-2010, 03:13 AM   #10
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

I originally typed up a response suggesting home or auto window tint, but then saw it was a Storm and didn't post. I thought the touch screen wouldn't work.

If the touchscreen would work with a covering, a light grey window tint might get the job done. Plus even a small piece would let you do the screen over and over again. Some are static cling and some you have to squeegee on. Static cling would be preferable although I'm not sure how well they'd stick. With the squeegee ones, you have to wet them so would have to be very careful.
Closed Thread