Old 01-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
pretzelb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Default Curve vs Palm Pro

Please Login to Remove!

I just picked up my first smart phone (Curve) and after only a week I really like it. But after searching for videos and features I wonder if the new Palm Pro might not be a better match for me. Some of the things I like about my BB:
  • Email works with Hotmail and Gmail
  • Email pushes quickly
  • Sound quality seems very good for calls
  • Calendar and contacts sync with GoogleSync
  • Keyboard is a nice size

The only problem is that when I look at a Win Mobile smart phone like the Palm Pro, I think it would do all those things just as well - the only unknown is the sound quality and the keyboard and that's more hardware than software or platform.

Here's what I'm not happy about with my BB:
  • No to-do software to link to RTM or Toodledo
  • Calendar interface a bit ugly
  • No included software to create / update documents like Word or Excel
  • No way to load/share documents to a cloud location like skydrive or mesh or google docs (I think)
  • Browser is a bit clunky

What has me wondering if the Curve was a good pick for me is the fact that I think a Win Mobile device could handle all these other items better. The integration with Office documents is a nice feature to have and being able to communicate with Microsoft Live or Mesh would be useful. I don't imagine the to-do, calendar, and browser will be as nice as on my iPod Touch, but I think they would be better.

So I'm trying to decide without having any experience with Windows Mobile or any other device. From what I read everyone likes a BB for it's email capability but I can see so much more possible with a smart phone after just using my dinky iPod Touch in WiFi spots. Plus, seems like all smart phones handle email pretty well these days too so I'm not sure what I'd be giving up by going to Win Mobile.

I am having fun with my Curve so don't take this as a slam or rant, but I'm a bit frustrated with not being able to progress much further to areas like to-do lists and even web browsing. To make it worse, I think with Sprint a Palm Pro would cost $15 a month for data while the BB contract requires $30 a month. I have no idea why it's twice as much either.

I'd love to hear from others who had Win Mobile and prefer BB and why.
Closed Thread