BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
DrjonesUSA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Exclamation Have any BB users tried iPhone? Comparable at all? Prob going to try one out....

Please Login to Remove!

Let me start by saying that I am a pretty hard-core Blackberry fan. I've had a Blackberry for over a year now, and it is absolutely an amazing device and has made my life so much simpler, easier and more efficient.

BUT, I was given a gift certificate large enough to cover the cost of a brand-new iPhone and am probably going to pull the trigger on it within a day or so.

I know that everyone has seen one and played with one for a short period of time, but what I really want to know is have any Blackberry users really put an iPhone through its paces for WORK?

Can the iPhone compare at all to a Blackberry?

I rely *very heavily* on my Blackberry for, of course, e-mail and calendar and since the Blackberry was built from the ground up around these and other work features, and the iPhone was not, I'm of course very skeptical that I will be as happy with the iPhone as I am with my Blackberry.

I think I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot - I have 14 days to return the iPhone if I just cannot make it work, but I want to see what everybody else's experiences have been so I have some idea of what I'm getting myself into.

I'm also getting tired of waiting for the new blackberry bold.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Yes, there are many posts here comparing the two devices and one very very indepth review of the two devices. I will look around, too.

Look in the section I have linked... you will be up late reading.

BlackBerry Versus - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

**moved to the BlackBerry versus... section**

Last edited by JSanders; 10-10-2008 at 04:40 PM..
Old 10-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
techluvr1234
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: none

I love my iPhone. Does waaaaaay more than the berry, and the enterprise features are just as good, if not better. This post itself is off of my iPhone 3G.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techluvr1234 View Post
I love my iPhone. Does waaaaaay more than the berry, and the enterprise features are just as good, if not better. This post itself is off of my iPhone 3G.
Then why are you wasting your valuable time here?
Old 10-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
techluvr1234

??? don't get your question... the iPhone is too good to be comparable to a berry.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
??? don't get your question... the iPhone is too good to be comparable to a berry.
OMG your right, thanks for point that out. You brought me to the light.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
What enterprise features? Please tell me, I didn't see any enterprise features when I used an iPhone 3G.

Yes, I could get my email/calendar, etc, but it was via OWA (not enterprise). I could get to my company's intranet sites, but only when I was on the company network (via wifi).

With my BB I'm connected directly to Exchange and can get on the intranet anywhere I have coverage for my device.

Seriously, I'm curious about the features.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
techluvr1234

don't see how you can get intranet everywhere.?? It can sync EVERYTHING with MS Exchange. And you can get true push email too, it just doesn't update as frequently. It's got full HTML too in the browser AND email.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Yes, I can get intranet everywhere since my BB is connected to the BES, which has MDS enabled. I can even get to company Sharpoint sites via that portal.

Not quite push email, but almost. There were several times I had to tell my iPhone to sync and THEN I would have email. Are you also using OWA to get your email?

HTML is there with 4.1.6 of the BES.

Last edited by juwaack68; 10-13-2008 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: Corrected BB for iPhone
Old 10-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #10
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

good to see 2 mods beating up on an obvious noob.
let him enjoy the bliss, everyone does not NEED BB.
However, they might LIKE Blackberryforums. Atleast until they get stoned for liking the iphone.

Last edited by test54; 10-13-2008 at 09:33 PM..
Old 10-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
Matt N.
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

I can't stand the iphone keyboard, or its lame excuse for one. I spent more time trying to correct spelling errors than finishing what I was trying to type.

Also, I enjoy receiving e-mails almost instantaneously, and not waiting for them to be pushed through at a later time.

That said however, I do like its full featured browser and application capability. I still wouldn't buy it. I love my 8800 way too much.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:49 AM   #12
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
However, they might LIKE Blackberryforums. Atleast until they get stoned for liking the iphone.
What are you talking about? I'm not beating up on anyboy - I'm asking questions about teckluvr's statement of:

Quote:
the enterprise features are just as good, if not better
I had an iPhone 3G for about a month. I "sync'd" my email/calendar/contacts via OWA, which is not an enteprise feature. I can get to my company's intranet with my BlackBerry (thanks to the BES) - something I cannot do with an iPhone.

I am seriouosly wondering what 'enterprise' features he is talking about. I have nothing against the iPhone - it clearly has features that an BlackBerry does not (the browser being one of them). However, it is not (yet) and 'enterprise' device.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:33 AM   #13
techluvr1234

Quote:
good to see ME report this post.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:37 AM   #14
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

how is that statement offensive techluvr? people around here really need a thicker skin...
Old 10-14-2008, 08:39 AM   #15
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Which statement is offensive? I'm confused.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:47 AM   #16
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Was I offensive? I'm confused too. I thought I was sticking up for him because he knew very little of BB.

sorry Juwaak it was a bad night, you were cordial.

Last edited by test54; 10-14-2008 at 09:49 AM..
Old 10-14-2008, 10:00 AM   #17
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Was I offensive? I'm confused too. I thought I was sticking up for him because he knew very little of BB.

sorry Juwaak it was a bad night, you were cordial.
We all have bad nights, no worries.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:16 PM   #18
mrtune
Knows Where the Search Button Is

If you take BES out of the picture (yes, not all companies have it or support it) then the iPhone does make a better enterprise device.

I came from a iPhone to a Blackberry curve (just to try out, but reverse from the OP). It just so happens that I prefer the blackberry now and I'm sticking with it for the time being.

As far as enterprise features are concerned, I had near full MS Exchange capabilies with the iPhone. OTA contacts/calendar and complete mailbox syncing (even old emails). Tasks and to-do's did not sync, but I never used them so I didn't miss out on it. The blackberry on BIS doesn't even compare. 15 min poll for email and I have to connect the phone once a day to keep stuff my contacts/calendars in sync. No folder management, no old email syncing.

Apple's app store is amazing and the iPhone can do some amazing things for a phone. The browser is the best I've ever used on phone. Typing on the virtual keyboard takes time and there is a learning curve. I type faster on my old iPhone than on my blackberry.

Why did I stick with the blackberry? Better camera features, MMS, video, SMS forwarding, copy/paste, turn by turn navigation and a few other features that I need that the iPhone doesn't offer.

Both phones are great. You just need to figure out what you feel you need most out of a phone, compare them and pick one that suits you best.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:52 PM   #19
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW

Blackberry is a platform, iphone is a device. Sure alot of companies might not have a BES but anyone in the F500 who is serious about mobility likely either has Blackberry with BES and Exchange with System Center Device Manager. The chunk on Lotus / Groupwise are likely BES. The device is just a part of a larger entity that needs management, policy and oversight.

If your looking as a consumer head - head comparing devices, I'd have to figure out what I want the device for. Apple is doing some cool stuff but seems lately they want to stick with being a "entertainment" provider. Almost every new ad is about games and every AppStore catagory around entertainment has the bulk of Apps. Last I checked Business had 112 "apps". Games was well over 2000.

I've had an Iphone since the first summer EDGE model was out and it's just not for me .. Mostly use it as an IPOD/Internet device but would pull my hair out having to rely on it for calendar / email. Luckily I get to validate / use every major device released by our carrier partners.

Now speaking to the enterprise (which I am) Iphone is so far from anything like Blackberry attached to BES both in functionality and security. There is zero management of the iphone, no encryption of the device and every week seems to see a new security risk announced. Not to mention users could fairly easily jailbreak and circumvent the Exchange ActiveSync settings? On top of that Apple wants me to manage and deploy Itunes to users? Right ...
Old 10-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #20
YvilKittyInSpace

Hey everyone!

I came from a 3G iPhone to my first BB, a 8310. I can't believe all the features that I could have had if I would have saved my money and bought a Curve instead. There are dozens and dozens of things the BB does that the iPhone simply can't do.

Sure I was able to live without these features in 15 months of owning an iPhone and I wish I had those 15 months back to experience over again but this time with a Curve.

Since owning the iPhone over the past few months, I rarely used it for email as it was just too slow at downloading messages. The iPhone would download the message headers only and then the actual message once you selected it. Sometimes if there were attachments such a big photo, it was just to slow. Two weeks ago, I was trying to download a photo that a friend sent and I wanted to show it someone at work. It was too slow on edge so I switched to 3G. No service. I wait and wait. No service. I reboot the phone and finally, 3G service. The email finally downloads and I am able to show the photo. I think that experience made me realize how aweful and embarrassing the iPhone can be. The Curve does email flawlessly and the only delays are when dowloading attchments and even then, the delays are brief as you know.

With my Curve, I have had both of my email accounts on since day one, something I couldn't do with the iPhone because that cobined with WiFi and 3G, the battery life was horrible. Like others, it wouldn't make it through a day.

Don't even get me started on the MMS and and lack of cut and paste and creating folders and a ton of other stuff I have been having fun with in the week of owning my Curve, 1 week anniversary by the way!

So, I have two of these white 3G phones. I'm going to sell one on eBay this week to cover the cancellation costs of the contract. The second will go on eBay the day I can buy a Bold to replace it.

I use two phones, one as a landline replacement and the other for work and personal. I'm sure one can picture the benefits of keeping certain aspects seperate with two phones.

Why oh why, didn't I get a BB long ago?

Last edited by YvilKittyInSpace; 10-20-2008 at 09:31 PM..
Closed Thread