BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:13 AM   #61
anthonymoody
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I bought an unlocked one and have been using it without issue on TMo for a week now. My unlocked 8320 is sitting on my desk - I'll almost certainly put it on ebay (extended battery and all).

Frankly I'm shocked.

I got one for my wife for Christmas and kept taking it from her to surf the web. The surfing experience so far outstrips that of the blackberry - regardless of which browser you use on the bb - that it's not really a fair fight in that category.

In terms of typing and messaging, the use of my wife's convinced me i could make a go of it. SO I bought the unlocked one for myself (I HATE AT&T). And you know what? it hasn't curtailed my messaging in the slightest.

After a week I'm almost (though not quite) as fast on the iPhone as I was on the BB.

In terms of the rest of the UI, here again it's simply fun to use whereas the bb never was. Both device "just work" from my perspective. But one is a joy to use and the other an appliance.

Yahoo push works well, and I have my gmail and business account set up as imap accounts and the syncing is amazing. 15 minute polling isn't ideal but sufficient, particularly given the rest of the advantages the iphone has.

There are a handful of (well documented) features still missing in the iPhone (unified inbox, copy and paste, and a few other nits) but again - the rest more than makes up for this.

The battery life is a pleasant surprise - it lasts a whole day of real world usage (tons of messaging, typically 50-100 emails, 20-30 texts, LOTS of surfing, some music, and light calendar) which is more than enough.

I don't think I'll go back. I plan to make a go of it for a month, then sell whichever one I'm not keeping. Likely the 8320.

TM

Last edited by anthonymoody; 01-14-2008 at 12:14 AM..
Old 01-14-2008, 02:54 AM   #62
dtdt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks, anthonymoody, for what I feel seems to be the most honest assessment of this issue. I work with users of Blackberry, iPhone, Moto-Q, Voyager, Pocket PC, Treo, you name it, it seems to be around me. The thing I notice most about the iPhone users is that they always seem to be showing off their device... Maybe it's my perception, but that aspect kind of bugs. When one was shown to me, I was uber-jealous of the Safari browser, being a mac user myself, and my interest was certainly piqued.

I really like the Voyager, although it falls in the "clunky" category of smartphones. What I really like about the iPhone and my 8830 are the slim and relatively small design in comparison to the others. The Moto-Q is cool, but I like my BB better. I don't need all of the entertainment features. As business and entertainment features converge and voice technology makes keyboards obsolete, I imagine we'll all have iBrains; small chips implanted in our craniums that take over our psyche and change the world... sounds like the Matrix.

In the current state of the art for wireless devices, the BB works very well for my needs, and is the best device I've owned to date. I read the paper every morning and enjoy an occasional Google-search to settle a debate, but I have little need for pocket web surfing at this point.

That's just my take on this interesting topic.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #63
bL4ckB3rry

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Globe Telecom

I just sold my iPhone, got me a Blackberry Curve 8320. Not regretting it at all!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #64
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtdt View Post
but I have little need for pocket web surfing at this point.

Thanks dtdt. It's interesting - I didn't think I had a "need" for it either, until I experienced it. Because the supply side is so much better, my demand has gone up extraordinarily. Previously, I was like you - an occasional google query, check a sports score, etc. Now, pocket web surfing is maybe 50% of what I do with the thing.

Sort of like cell phones in the first place. I remember when they were first introduced - hyper expensive business/luxury items with costly usage fees. As prices came down, I didn't think I wanted or needed one. Once I had one though there was no going back. Now I'm apoplectic without a phone in my pocket

But I absolutely agree that the iphone is not the right device for everyone. However, given my blackberry religion (I was a long time 8700 user before getting the 8320) I'm surprised at how easily I gave it up in favor of the iphone.

TM
Old 02-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #65
anthonymoody

Just to follow up/confirm, a month later that's my unlocked 8320 for sale in the B/S/T area. You can have my iphone after you pry it out of my cold dead hands. I loved my blackberries, the 8320 most of all, but for *me* after the iphone there's no going back.

Thanks for all the fun and info here. This is a great forum and it made my bb use that much more enjoyable.

TM
Old 02-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #66
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Sorry...

But no iPhone for me, I want the Google phone!