Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:22 PM   #1
jj joseph

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default 8800 T-Mobile users on MAC thread

Please Login to Remove!

So I would love it if this thread gets people using the BB 8800 with T-Mobile on Mac, since we are a spesific breed. I would hope we can all share tricks and tips to use this phone.

This is the info I have on what is installed right now.
v4.2.1.74 (Platform 2.3.0.054)

So first problem of course is that on the T-Mobile site the new os version and the new desktop are Windows files. Which I can deal with I have a version of Parralles on one of my Intel Macs, but I am getting weird USB errors.

1. When I plug my device into any mac I have.. The BB screen says

"USB charging current is not sufficeint. Verify and proper USB driver is installed."
So since I am on a mac, how can I get drivers(windows) Do I have to use boot camp and totally boot up in windows? Is it a Mac/PC usb thing?

So the next thing is MEDIA, video and audio. I guess I figured that you go into your media section and transfer files via bluetooth. I kinda figured this out. I wasn't able to browse the files, but I can play with this again. Also my BB is only seen on a few computers I have with Bluetooth.

2. I have a laptop PPC and some macMinis(INTEL) and the BB is seen fine with BLUETOOTH on the INTELS, but not on the PPC's with BLUETOOTH. Anyone else have this problem?

I was able to sync my addressbook though, that is about it.

Next is the OPERA web browser, I read that this is pretty much an OPERA thing, and that OPERA MINI is not compatible with the current BB 8800 os? Anyway, the error I get is that it says that it cannont connect to the internet. When I open OPERA MINI it does a 11 step test and always goes through all 11 then gives me the error.

3. Is there a way to get OPERA MINI to work on my current or if I update os?

Lastly is Chating. Is there an open format chatter for BB? Right now I am using a chat program that supports AIM, .MAC, YAHOO, and ICQ. Mostly I need AIM and YAHOO.

4. Is there a way to get an AIM chat program for BB?

OK, I would love to have other users with my same setup to share workarounds and help each other out.

Thanks...
Old 04-26-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Aldazar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: 1010

I also have a Mac (Intel MBP), but unfortunately, I don't have any knowledge to share. I would like to add my support for this thread though, it's a great idea!
Old 04-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

first thing would be to check the mac section for most of these.

I myself am on a pb G4 so some of the intel questions I cannot help you with.
I get the "charging not sufficient" when i plug my bb in when I'm running on batteries, plug your mbp in and see if that goes away.

bluetooth works great with my pb, I send files and use it as a modem with no problems, seach the mac section for the appropriate methods of getting things set up.

Opera Mini does not work with the newest OS, I think its the .90 from Rogers.

As for the chat programs, i'm not a user so i do not know what to recommend.

but good luck and welcome to the forums...

Last edited by test54; 04-26-2007 at 12:43 PM..
Old 04-26-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

** Moving to Mac Users Corner **
Old 04-27-2007, 02:05 AM   #5
ggoodale
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj joseph View Post
1. When I plug my device into any mac I have.. The BB screen says

"USB charging current is not sufficeint. Verify and proper USB driver is installed."
So since I am on a mac, how can I get drivers(windows) Do I have to use boot camp and totally boot up in windows? Is it a Mac/PC usb thing?
You'll want to install PocketMac, which is available for free from RIM's BlackBerry software download site. Once you've installed it, this message will go away.

Quote:
So the next thing is MEDIA, video and audio. I guess I figured that you go into your media section and transfer files via bluetooth. I kinda figured this out. I wasn't able to browse the files, but I can play with this again. Also my BB is only seen on a few computers I have with Bluetooth.

2. I have a laptop PPC and some macMinis(INTEL) and the BB is seen fine with BLUETOOTH on the INTELS, but not on the PPC's with BLUETOOTH. Anyone else have this problem?
I have a PPC mac (a PowerBook G4) and have no problems with a bluetooth connection between the two. Is your phone set to be discoverable?

Quote:
I was able to sync my addressbook though, that is about it.
PocketMac should help with syncing as well.

Quote:
Next is the OPERA web browser, I read that this is pretty much an OPERA thing, and that OPERA MINI is not compatible with the current BB 8800 os? Anyway, the error I get is that it says that it cannont connect to the internet. When I open OPERA MINI it does a 11 step test and always goes through all 11 then gives me the error.

3. Is there a way to get OPERA MINI to work on my current or if I update os?
There are known incompatibilities with Opera Mini and certain version of the 4.2.1 OS. However, I'm reasonably certain they extend to any version of the OS you might upgrade to.

Quote:
Lastly is Chating. Is there an open format chatter for BB? Right now I am using a chat program that supports AIM, .MAC, YAHOO, and ICQ. Mostly I need AIM and YAHOO.

4. Is there a way to get an AIM chat program for BB?
A quick googling turns up http://www.blackberry.com/aim - if you'd like a multi-protocol client, you could try out JiveTalk: beejive :: JiveTalk mobile messaging

Welcome to the Mac forum!
Old 04-30-2007, 11:53 AM   #6
jj joseph

Default to the next thing...

So I got bluetooth to work perfectly, I had to just update the OS on my Laptop and everything worked fine.

The only thing that I still have yet to figure out is AIM. I have read that T-Mobile is the only company that actually supports AIM on the Blackberry's. So I went and downloaded the app here.

http://www.blackberry.com/devicesoft...ry.do?code=aim

But I am getting the same errors. It tells me to

"go to blackberry.com/aim to activate AIM for my handheld"

But the URL to activate is the same as the download url. Couldn't fingure where to activate it...

I read somewhere about SERVICE BOOKS? I don't 100% understand what its all about, but I have sent it a few times, and I get the same message. "You will be able to receive email in 20 min"

Also anyone got the bluetooth to use as a modem for a laptop to work?
Old 04-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

jj, it could be just as simple as pulling the battery to reboot your BB device. Often I have read of the service books appearing after the reboot, and AIM working as well. Please try that.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #8
jj joseph

Default YEAH!!! I finally got it...

YEAH!!! I GOT IT.. so so awesome. I am so so happy. Anyway, under settings you go to Advanced settings then you go to TCP right? Anyway, my default settings where.

The APN: internet.com

Username: {blank}

Password: {blank}

I read somewhere online to set it to..

The APN: wap.voicestream.com

Username: {blank}

Password: {blank}

Once I changed it everything worked!! Now I got AIM and stuff.. SO SO happy. YEAH!! Best phone ever! Until the iPHONE.

Why was it set to internet.com? That seems pretty weird..

-jj
Old 05-03-2007, 12:33 AM   #9
dgray8
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

*claps* bravo...though it makes since since many IM clients run through the WAP gateway
Old 05-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
jj joseph

Default OPERA and Google Mobile Maps

Once I fixed my APN: I was also able to use the OPERA MINI browser, it works great!! What a great browser, makes the default browser look like dog poo.

Also with the T-Mobile 8800, for now, I am getting the GPS for free, as part of the package and I installed Google Mobile Maps, and it works perfectly with my Phone. It finds my location and will map out how to get anywhere for me.... Shows me how to get there... Works perfectly... YEAH!!

-J
Old 05-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #11
dgray8
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

odd...we tried it (the GPS) w/ my hubby's Cingular 8800 and Google Maps wouldn't work...but Blackberry Maps would.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #12
jj joseph

Yeah, T-Mobile might be better for the GPS? Have no idea why, but works perfectly for me.. Now I just need to get lost in some unknown city and see if I can find my way out..

-JJ
Old 05-15-2007, 11:21 AM   #13
BBDC
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Tmobile

Careful with AIM or other IM clients on the blackberry. If i recall correctly, and i may be wrong, but tmobile treats I am like text messages rather than DATA. That is, they are not included in the unlimited data plan.

BB Messenger is similar put it uses PIN messaging which IS covered under the data plan.

Just a thought...
Old 05-15-2007, 11:25 AM   #14
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

BBDC, sort of. Certain instant message clients are SMS based, certain other clients are data-use based. It is not a manner of carrier treating an application one way or the other, for instance AIM is SMS based regardless of the carrier, JiveTalk is data-based regardless of the carrier.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #15
Runamuck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile

I've got a new 8800 from Tmo and a MacBook Pro. I've paired the two devices but anytime I go to my Mac and click on the Bluetooth icon to choose the "Send File" command, it tells me that the 8800 does not have the "necessary services."

I did set up the 8800 as a mass storage device, and if I hook it up via USB cable can send files to/from it just fine. But via Bluetooth, no go.

Any help?
Closed Thread