Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
seanboyle

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: China Mobile
Default Phone (China Mobile) International Issues

Please Login to Remove!

This is a long one but I am struggling. I have just moved to China for a multi-year contract. I purchased an unlocked BB 8900 in the states prior to the move. I know and have proven that it is unlocked.

When the China mobile sim card is installed, the phone recognized the card and shows up like any other sim card with reception bars almost full. I have a Chinese phone number. Now the puzzling part.

What I know:

1. If I call a landline, I have no issues
2. When I dial another cell number, a recording comes on that I have to register for "IDD". The IDD stands for International Direct Dial or something close to that.
3. When I take my SIM card out and give it to my buddy with a cheap POS, he can call whoever he wants, cell or landline with no problems.

Items 2 & 3 remove the issue that it is a SIM card issue or a service provider issue and pretty much tells me I have some setting in the phone that is projecting some sort of out-of-region or out of country code issue.

Does anyone have a clue as to where I should start looking or start doing?

Thanks,

Sean
Old 07-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
leec81
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanboyle View Post
This is a long one but I am struggling. I have just moved to China for a multi-year contract. I purchased an unlocked BB 8900 in the states prior to the move. I know and have proven that it is unlocked.

When the China mobile sim card is installed, the phone recognized the card and shows up like any other sim card with reception bars almost full. I have a Chinese phone number. Now the puzzling part.

What I know:

1. If I call a landline, I have no issues
2. When I dial another cell number, a recording comes on that I have to register for "IDD". The IDD stands for International Direct Dial or something close to that.
3. When I take my SIM card out and give it to my buddy with a cheap POS, he can call whoever he wants, cell or landline with no problems.

Items 2 & 3 remove the issue that it is a SIM card issue or a service provider issue and pretty much tells me I have some setting in the phone that is projecting some sort of out-of-region or out of country code issue.

Does anyone have a clue as to where I should start looking or start doing?

Thanks,

Sean
I have traveled to China several times on my 8320, and had a similar issue like yours. But my problem was I cant call out period, but able to receive messages. I called RIM and they asked me to update my software, and the problem was fixedso hopefully this works for you as well. Well, if you have the new operation system then I guess call RIM for some sort of solution?
Old 07-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
sunshine123

Model: curve
Carrier: Etisalat

Guys - I have no clue as to technical stuff on Blackberry- but let me ask here -
I am coming from United Arab Emirates to China for say 3 months - can I use my BB by using a China sim card ? Will it work...or as I have read from these two posts ,there could be problems ?
Old 12-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

7 down, 4 to go. Spammer...
Closed Thread