Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
Luigi Panache

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default I want Wi-Fi internet, without getting charged by AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Here's the deal. I got a Blackberry Bold yesterday. I'm still getting used to it. I got it from a friend for free, and I just put my SIM card into it and it's been working.

My problem is, my parents haven't paid for a data plan. We have unlimited SMS and MMS messages, but that's really it. If I try to use the browser to surf the web I'm going to get a ton of data overage charges and my parents will be pissed (and we're broke so we can't afford to pay overage fees...)

So, I heard this Blackberry has Wi-Fi. How great, we have Wi-Fi all over our home! I added our network via the Wi-Fi set up.
I decided to set the "Data Services" option under Network Settings to Off, just in case. This should prevent me from accidentally using some internet thing and jacking up our bill, but this causes some problems...
  • I can't use internet no matter what, even when I'm connected to Wi-Fi
  • I can't send or recieve Multimedia Messages, even though it's on our plan

So this is not going to be my course of action. I tried turning Data Services back to On, and disconnecting my phone from the Mobile Network. What happens:
  • I can't get MMS
  • I can go online, but I'm not sure if I'm getting charged for it or not
  • I can't call anyone (obviously) and it's a pain in the butt to disconnect and reconnect

The last thing I've noticed is that if I'm connected to both Wi-Fi and my 3G network and I use the browser, it uses the 3G to get internet, not the Wi-Fi. How do I fix this?

Bottom line: I want to use Wi-Fi to browse the web at home, but I don't have a data plan and I can't risk getting charged by AT&T for the internet usage. What do I do to only use Wi-Fi for my internet?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

MMS goes through carrier network, so you wouldn't get them is mobile network is off.
you wont be.
true.
options - advacned - browser - default browser - HOTSPOT.
it will ONLY use wi-fi not carrier network.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 12-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Braz989
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

yep do exactly what he said, I'm in the exact same situation and I use wifi all the time. good luck!
Old 01-01-2010, 05:14 AM   #4
ElGuito
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Hello All, I canceled BIS from AT&T and rely on Wi-Fi only for data connections, and so far the Bold is behaving as expected: no email, Browser works when set to Hotspot, etc.
Here's my question, with BIS canceled do I still run the risk that some app will use a data connection thru the 3G phone signal and I'll be charged at premium rates (not being on a data plan anymore); I am monitoring my data usage on AT&T Wireless site, and so far it shows only Text Messaging under Data Detail, it also says it may take 2 to 5 days for data usage to show accurately.
Some apps like superpages work without me setting it to Wi-Fi, so I am paranoid that I may be using data rates that I won't know until it's in the hundreds of $.
Closed Thread