Old 06-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default RIM should have thought of this first! - Epesode 2 - Embeded RFID

Please Login to Remove!

Well here is another link to an episode of RIM should of though of this first!

This one involves embedding an RFID security card into your BlackBerry Bold 9000

YouTube - RIM shoud of thought of this first! - Epesode 2 - Bold With RFID Built In (no More Security Card)

If they could build it into the back covers that would rock...

If you are wondering what the washers are for in the pictures see my other mod posted here

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...s-driving.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02447 (Large).JPG
Views:	85
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	16631   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02448 (Large).JPG
Views:	61
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	16632   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02452 (Large).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	16633   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02453 (Large).JPG
Views:	63
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	16634   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02456 (Large).JPG
Views:	62
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	16635  

Last edited by Caspan; 06-26-2009 at 12:42 PM..
Old 06-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Couple more pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02458 (Large).JPG
Views:	79
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	16636   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02463 (Large).JPG
Views:	67
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	16637  
Old 06-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
nick.dollimount
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 216DF034

Very neat idea. **tempted to cut my access card open**
Old 06-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
cortiz179
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: att

how would Rim be able to add that to your phone? Thats more a DIY. but sweet 1. i have the kind of card that you have to swipe threw.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortiz179 View Post
how would Rim be able to add that to your phone? Thats more a DIY. but sweet 1. i have the kind of card that you have to swipe threw.
Well they could embed it in the cases so you could buy a back cover for your phone that has RFID built into the molding of the case... very simple to do and could make a crap ton of money selling them....
Old 07-06-2009, 04:20 AM   #6
Damaged7

Model: 9810

Wirelessly posted (Bold 9000)

I will never have any of my info associated with an RFID chip.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
Caspan
No longer Registered.

What they need to do is make it a push button usage so when I walk up to a door I have to press and hold a button on the side to activate it. This way it would prevent people from just walking by and scanning my card. RFID is very secure if combined with a PIN... Why don't you like RFID so much?

People feel so scared of technology its the same as carrying around your SIN card a person gets a hold of that number they can tell a lot about you or even your Drivers license number all it takes is a stealth camera or steal your wallet and they have all your info from one number. RFID they would have to build a scanner know your frequency and walk very close to you (almost 1cm) to read it even if they stole it they would have to know how to read the number from it. In my opinion RFID if switched (meaning i have to hold a button to enable it) is 100 times more secure then a wallet with plain text readable numbers and usable cards.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
ka7gzr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

Ours is embeded with a picture ID among other visual items on the badge so this will not work as I would need the badge anyhow.
I would also like to do some real testing on the BB to see what effect the large loop of wire has.

Last edited by ka7gzr; 07-06-2009 at 11:21 AM..
Old 07-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #9
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka7gzr View Post
Ours is embeded with a picture ID among other visual items on the badge so this will not work as I would need the badge anyhow.
I would also like to do some real testing on the BB to see what effect the large loop of wire has.
I love company's that put photo ID and titles and company name. What a security breach. that's like putting photo ID and my car Plate Number on my key chain so if I lose them they know what the key works for. People still require pins but I can almost assume 75% don't. Such a bad Idea why company's think photo ID is needed. thats what security is for. I use to work for the Royal Bank Data Center and all they had as a double security door, use your card and pin to get in first one, door locks behind you, security guard looks at you verifies he knows you and you do the same card pin again to get out through second door. If not your trapped till the cops come.

what is Photo ID used for anyways? why not just carry your driver License as proof of ID? their hard to forge... just weird for me I guess as a security person to do that kind of stuff and its completely useless cause most can be forged with 10 minutes on Photoshop
Old 07-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
ka7gzr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Nothings perfect- it's all about multiple levels of security including reliance on other employees- a picture on the badge, logging of RFI badges, security education, random observations, etc.- it's all driven by how much can the enterprise/gov want to spend on security- whatxxx8217;s the value of the product being protected?
Old 07-08-2009, 12:30 AM   #11
captthomason

Model: 9860
PIN: to bean

nice mod!
Old 07-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
Meyefull

PIN: stack Sucks

I really would like to try this, not sure what the effect on the blackberry would be though...
Old 07-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #13
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Wirelessly posted

I have been running this for a week + with no issues so far.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #14
Meyefull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspan View Post
Wirelessly posted

I have been running this for a week + with no issues so far.

Ok. My access card looks esactly like yours, so basically I just cut it open and it should look like a ring inside? And just remove the ring and stickie it to the back door of my blackberry? If its just that I'll do it when i get home!
Old 07-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #15
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyefull View Post
Ok. My access card looks esactly like yours, so basically I just cut it open and it should look like a ring inside? And just remove the ring and stickie it to the back door of my blackberry? If its just that I'll do it when i get home!
I cant stress enough that you need to be very patient when taking off the cover. It should peal apart if it was like mine and either it will stick to the top or will stay in the troff. If it sticks to the top be careful when you get to the chip part that it does not rip off the leads. Those little wires that run to the chip are very small and are very easy to snap. Even handling it can cause stress on the wire and snap it. Place it on a piece of paper after you have removed it to prevent handling it.

Take your time and make sure your battery cover will close before you secure it in place. My chip is very flat. Some chips are rounded and might not be as flat..

Let us know how it turns out.

I am really hoping to get a chip from a key fob that work with out system so i can use that. little smaller footprint in the back of the case. But i am worried that it wort transmit through the case. I know with this one i tried to put it under the battery and it couldn't transmit through the thickness and I'm guessing the material the battery was made from does not help.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #16
Meyefull

Hey Caspan!

Quick question for you. Actually two...(1) What are those big washer looking things for?

(2) Would me swiping into doors and stuff mess up the blackberry itself,like fry it?
Old 07-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #17
cmuncan
Thumbs Must Hurt

playing devil's advocate here (mostly because this has happened to me before):

what happens if say you drop your phone; battery cover comes off; battery pops out; and phone is now in these 3 pieces on the ground. As you go to pick it up, somebody who clearly has not observed what has just taken place and in passing, they step on the battery cover ...

with the exception of someone walking on it, i'm sure that this sort of thing has happened to many other people out there. Wouldn't those "very fragile" RFID wires snap???

If at first you don't succeed, give up because if you can't do it right the first time, you'll never be able to do it!
Old 07-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #18
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyefull View Post
Hey Caspan!

Quick question for you. Actually two...(1) What are those big washer looking things for?

(2) Would me swiping into doors and stuff mess up the blackberry itself,like fry it?
The 2 washers are for my GSP mount that I made. Its 2 earth magnets in the holder and the washers are for them to grip to.

As for frying the BB no if you are able to fry your BB by passing it by a little radio frequency, every time you left a store it would fry your BB that are the same thing. Its just low powered Radio Frequency.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #19
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmuncan View Post
playing devil's advocate here (mostly because this has happened to me before):

what happens if say you drop your phone; battery cover comes off; battery pops out; and phone is now in these 3 pieces on the ground. As you go to pick it up, somebody who clearly has not observed what has just taken place and in passing, they step on the battery cover ...

with the exception of someone walking on it, i'm sure that this sort of thing has happened to many other people out there. Wouldn't those "very fragile" RFID wires snap???
I would imagine they would it's a good point and again would love to see an after market manufacturer build these into the back door so it is not such a fragile solution. Mine is very well placed and secured though I am not afraid of a drop breaking it... some one stepping on the back door??? yeah that would wreck it I think im going to invest in a small amount of epoxy or hot glue for the chip part so that it is encased in a small amount of protective coating of rubberish substance.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #20
Meyefull

As for someone stepping on it and wrecking it im not too concerned with because I could just tell my company I lost my pass,they will deactivate that one and issue me a new one so its not an issue. I was just worried about damaging the blackberry with radio frequencies but now that Caspan says it probably wont, im gunna go with that and do it upppppp!
Closed Thread