BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 05:41 PM   #21
xkon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700R
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

I use an exchange server with entourage and have no issues... I prefer Entourage over Outlook, and only use the PC for updates now (i need one to do user upgrades/deployments at work anyhow) Tasks and Memo's wont sync, but addy book, email and calendar work fine wirelessly.

I havent tried it yet, but I assume VirtualPC will let you run BB Desktop as well for upgrades... Ill try it tonight if im bored!
Old 12-26-2005, 08:14 AM   #22
singlemanriot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: iPhn
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftiesDean
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 7520: BlackBerry7520/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

And its easier to program for os x anyways. I'm very close to just writing a program myself anyone want to help?
It seems odd pocket mac would go though the trouble of making the software and not give it that final (and very important feature), Is there a reason this is prohibitive? Maybe with the windows Treo 700 on the way RIM may give some much needed attention to Mac users.

I use Entourage on my g5, I love it, and I love pocket mac, If I didn't have a PC at home to load apps I would be way more upset, but its far better than no pocket mac.

FiftiesDean, if you were able to make this app you would be my favorite bbf member and I might let you name my first born.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:20 PM   #23
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemanriot
FiftiesDean, if you were able to make this app you would be my favorite bbf member and I might let you name my first born.
WOW, FiftiesDean, that's a pretty strong incentive to start working on your coding...
Old 12-26-2005, 07:29 PM   #24
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemanriot
It seems odd pocket mac would go though the trouble of making the software and not give it that final (and very important feature), Is there a reason this is prohibitive?
If I'm following this thread correctly, I think you refer to PM's inability to upload/download software, right? If so, that's one of the reasons I've been hacked at both Information Appliance Associates (PM's creator) AND RIM. IAA hasn't offered an upgrade beyond 3.12 in quite some time, despite the several minor annoyances/sync problems I mentioned earlier, and seems ambivalent toward continuing to enhance its product - despite the fact that it's got the defacto monopoly right now.

RIM seems content merely to recommend IAA/PM as the "solution" for us enlightened computer users, even though PM leaves so much to be desired relative to the capabilities of its PC-based desktop software...

I've e-mailed RIM twice, asking them to get off the dime and create an OSX-native desktop interface for us; I encourage anyone reading this to do likewise! Perhaps I should start a separate poll-thread to collect "signatures" and eventually forward it to RIM??
Old 12-26-2005, 07:37 PM   #25
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo
PocketDay: good, as long as your eyes can ready tiny print
PocketExpress: indispensible..best software for any PDA
MiniSafe: a good password holder
Handango InHand: contains a list of OTA download shareware
Hey, SFO: Thanks for the suggestions! How does MiniSafe compare feature-wise to the BB's built-in Password Keeper? Same? Better? PK is a new program for me with my 8700, and I'm just taking it for a test-drive now...

I tried PocketDay with my 7290, but kept hitting a software error so never used it. But I liked the program in concept, and will likely try again with my 8700.

As a Mac user, did you load these OTA? Or find a PC friend?
Old 12-26-2005, 07:43 PM   #26
sfo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e
Carrier: AT&T

Downloaded both MiniSafe and PocketDay OTA.
I like the MiniSafe for it's solid simplicity, but it's not that much better.
PocketDay, though, really is good.
Of them all, though, Pocket Express is the best.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:57 PM   #27
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo
Downloaded both MiniSafe and PocketDay OTA.
I like the MiniSafe for it's solid simplicity, but it's not that much better.
PocketDay, though, really is good.
Of them all, though, Pocket Express is the best.
SFO: I haven't used Pocket Express and, while I can google to find out what it does, what does it do? I'd rather hear it from a fellow Mac/BB nut like you than just read some promo copy on a URL... Thanks!
Old 12-26-2005, 10:28 PM   #28
sfo

Sure. Full news stories in ten catagories, sports, weather, directories, movies (with reviews and local times, etc.), stocks, detailed maps and directions.
Update can be automatically set or done manually in about a minute.
Amazing.
It's from Handmark.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:09 PM   #29
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sounds like Pocket Express helps you keep up-to-date externally, while PocketDay helps you stay current internally, eh? Both would work for me, as I'm a Mac news junkie, via RSS, in addition to relying on my BB to keep me on-task with personal/business commitments. Thanks for the info, sfo!

BTW, I'm trying to get this Mac-users thread listed on BBforums.com as its own "super category" so we enlightened users can help/inform each other more easily instead of listing everything in this single thread. If you would like to see this come to fruition, too, sound off here!
Old 12-27-2005, 10:51 AM   #30
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkon
I havent tried it yet, but I assume VirtualPC will let you run BB Desktop as well for upgrades... Ill try it tonight if im bored!
I've tried this route, i.e. VirtualPC, to enable the use of RIM's desktop software. I gave up simply because the program itself is sooooooo irritatingly difficult to get working - reminding me of the very reasons I prefer a Mac to Windoze

Have any of us forgotten Mac users had success using VirtualPC to connect to a BB?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:45 PM   #31
sfo

I'm with peznut....would love to see a permanent Mac-Users thread on BBforums.com
Old 12-28-2005, 09:18 AM   #32
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo
I'm with peznut....would love to see a permanent Mac-Users thread on BBforums.com
I'm working on that one, fellow Mac pal! I'm gonna add a suggestion to the "Site Suggestions" page; seems to be the only way I can find to contact "those in charge" of this site...
Old 12-28-2005, 01:08 PM   #33
CyberJack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT Wireless

PEZNUT: I own an iBook, and use PocketMac in addition to my other machines. I like a lot of things about OS X. But, in fairness, a little objectivity would go a long ways. Using terms like "windoze" and comments like "users of the very company on whose coattails RIM seeks to ride along...", " Should I create a poll on this forum "demanding" equal support for Mac users?" immediately make me blanch. The fact is that Macs comprise a small percentage of the PC market. That is not RIMs fault, market forces have determined that. The rest then becomes economics, how can one justify the costs, R&D and supports cost of a minority of customers. Having worked at software companies that discontinued Mac products that is the bottom line. It is not some prejudice or hatred of Macs. I like my iBook, unfortunately there are a lot of things I need to do that I can't using it exclusively. Preview kicks butt on my Adobe Acrobat as an example. Some of the issues lie in 1 Infinity Loop. Failing to license the MAC OS, not allowing clones, huge margins on systems resulting in higher retail costs all contribute. As a tinkerer, the idea that Apple will prevent the Intel Mac OS X from running on cheap clones and will require Apple hardware seems shortsighted. I'd love a dual boot machine that I configure. I do not mean to rain on your parade, nor start any flames. I have no axes to grind, just tempered by reality.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #34
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots

Oppressed R Us... this is what we should rename this thread...

No offense to anybody here, but there are some things that nobody ever mentions in this kind of thread...

1. Nobody forces you to use a Mac
2. Nobody forces you to use a Blackberry
3. You should have all known they are an unsupported pair before you bought
4. We all know that Mac/Linux drivers are not going to come from RIM
5. We all know that no big business cares about the little fish

Why... oh why do people keep crying? Get over it, not to be harsh but it's a pipe dream that RIM will make something. Instead of crying about being oppressed for being a Mac user, do yourself a favour and figure out how to build the software you need.

Join that SF barry project that headtailgrep posted in a few threads in each section of the forum.

Either way... stop crying oppression... it make you sound gay... and I have *never* taken "crap" for being a blackberry user, infact, having a blackberry puts you in a higher status class (if that's possible) then having people think you are weird.

Mac users are weird because they think that they are rebels. At one point Mac could outperform PC's at media related tasks, that has changed in the last few years. Now there is nothing Mac does better than a PC.

Here's the best part... Why does Mac only run Mac stuff? How come I can't run other software on the Mac platform? I mean natively, not through some sort of emulation. Why is it that Mac has to run a *nix based operating system instead of something that is truely theirs?

Why would Mac people, who love the isolation they get in the computer world want every company that makes hardware to support a Mac? Wouldn't that be too Windows like? Mac is as much a proprietary type company as RIM.

Let's all keep in mind that if it wasn't for good ol' Billy, Apple wouldn't be around today...

Apple has an 82% market share for portable media players... isn't it true that software support for the ipod for platforms other than Mac is very limited? And who's crying anyhow? Is RIM crying because of their market share? What a dumb statement to make... apple isn't crying about an 82% blah blah blah...

People who use Mac's and BB's should either start crapping or get off the pot... do something, or shut up. Just please... stop crying like a bunch of panzies.

cd.

Wanna come kick my ass?

Find me at...
http://www.frappr.com/blackberryforums
Old 12-28-2005, 03:38 PM   #35
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

rotflmao do you work for bill gates corey?....lol cause you are going hard for windows.. im not an it geek just a regular guy and all i can say is my mac is more stable than any cpu i ever had @ home or @ work.....

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 12-28-2005, 08:42 PM   #36
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots

I don't work for bill... I just don't understand how people can constantly cry about lack of support for a product that *they* chose to use...

Is anyone forcing you to use a Mac? No.

If you want to be able to use your gadgets fully, buy hardware that is supported with the other hardware you have.

Like Ford should provide me with free engine mounts and wiring harness's so I can put that hemi I bought in my F150... right?

cd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcrn
rotflmao do you work for bill gates corey?....lol cause you are going hard for windows.. im not an it geek just a regular guy and all i can say is my mac is more stable than any cpu i ever had @ home or @ work.....

Wanna come kick my ass?

Find me at...
http://www.frappr.com/blackberryforums
Old 12-28-2005, 09:31 PM   #37
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

well when i brought a bb i thought about how it wasnt going to be able to work on my mac.... and i thought of buying a treo... but all the horor storys and the fact that the bb is built better and can resits falls..cause i drop things alot and that i dont have to fetch for email overieds the fact i cant put apps on my bb via my mac

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 12-28-2005, 09:43 PM   #38
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJack
PEZNUT: I own an iBook, and use PocketMac in addition to my other machines. I like a lot of things about OS X. But, in fairness, a little objectivity would go a long ways. Using terms like "windoze" and comments like "users of the very company on whose coattails RIM seeks to ride along...", " Should I create a poll on this forum "demanding" equal support for Mac users?" immediately make me blanch. The fact is that Macs comprise a small percentage of the PC market. That is not RIMs fault, market forces have determined that. The rest then becomes economics, how can one justify the costs, R&D and supports cost of a minority of customers. Having worked at software companies that discontinued Mac products that is the bottom line. It is not some prejudice or hatred of Macs. I like my iBook, unfortunately there are a lot of things I need to do that I can't using it exclusively. Preview kicks butt on my Adobe Acrobat as an example. Some of the issues lie in 1 Infinity Loop. Failing to license the MAC OS, not allowing clones, huge margins on systems resulting in higher retail costs all contribute. As a tinkerer, the idea that Apple will prevent the Intel Mac OS X from running on cheap clones and will require Apple hardware seems shortsighted. I'd love a dual boot machine that I configure. I do not mean to rain on your parade, nor start any flames. I have no axes to grind, just tempered by reality.
No "flaming" felt, so don't worry. Just remember: to Mac users like me and the rest of this thread's readers trying to maximize our BB efficiency/effectiveness on a poorly supported OS platform, Apple's marketshare is 100%, i.e. 98% of this awesome site's OS-related threads offer little help to us.

To you, corey@12mile and any other PC user: you, too, have made your "choice" and don't have to deal with the same OS-integration issues regarding your BBs. We do, but don't hijack this thread to devolve it into the same ol' Mac v. PC argument. You're right, we're wrong.

Feel better?

Last edited by peznut; 12-28-2005 at 09:45 PM..
Old 12-28-2005, 09:48 PM   #39
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

nice..lol thats very true we all made our choice.. and i would love to have more options on my bb via the mac.. i hug my mac every night

Quote:
Originally Posted by peznut
No "flaming" felt, so don't worry. Just remember: to Mac users like me and the rest of this thread's readers trying to maximize our BB efficiency/effectiveness on a poorly supported OS platform, Apple's marketshare is 100%, i.e. 98% of this awesome site's OS-related threads offer little help to us.

To you, corey@12mile and any other PC user: you, too, have made your "choice" and don't have to deal with the same OS-integration issues regarding your BBs. We do, but don't hijack this thread to devolve it into the same ol' Mac v. PC argument. You're right, we're wrong.

Feel better?

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 12-28-2005, 09:50 PM   #40
aristobrat

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
Mac users are weird because they think that they are rebels.
Mac and Windows each has their own fair share of users that think they're {insert whatever they think here} but come across as jerks to the rest of the world.

Quote:
Here's the best part... Why does Mac only run Mac stuff? How come I can't run other software on the Mac platform? I mean natively, not through some sort of emulation. Why is it that Mac has to run a *nix based operating system instead of something that is truely theirs?
Huh? What other software does the Windows platform run without emulation?

Quote:
isn't it true that software support for the ipod for platforms other than Mac is very limited?
Um, no. iPods have just as much official Apple support on Windows as they do on OS X.
Closed Thread