BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
jdzialak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default anyone go from a BB to iphone and back?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm a Mac guy. I've wanted the iphone since it came out. I have a BB Curve that I love, but it's not a business phone. I just like being able to get internet and email while i'm on the go.
I'm seriously considering an iphone. I've played with them. I understand the BB differences.

Has anyone switched form a BB to and iphone and just hated it?

Joe
Old 12-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

I have read posts of people that have switched to the iPhone and back. I am sure they will give feedback if they cross this thread.

I am confused as to why you don't find the Curve to be a business phone, could you elaborate on that a bit?
Old 12-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
jdzialak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
I have read posts of people that have switched to the iPhone and back. I am sure they will give feedback if they cross this thread.

I am confused as to why you don't find the Curve to be a business phone, could you elaborate on that a bit?

Sorry. IT IS a business-class phone. I don't USE it for business. It's not work-issued, etc.
Sorry. I was unclear in my description.
I assumed people would say the iphone is not suitable as a hardcore business phone. I don't use my phone for that was all i meant.

Joe
Old 12-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
he1neken
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

I carry both a BB Bold for work and an iPhone 3G for personal use. I have tested the iPhone for corporate/Exchange use, and it just wasn't as smooth of an experience as the Blackberry.

With the iPhone I would need to have a VPN setup, since there was no external OWA access. Blackberry on BES eliminates that need.

When the iPhone was locked and alerted from my pocket it wasn't obvious what I had missed in some cases (sms, e-mail, calendar reminder) until I unlocked the phone. Also, drilling down through the mailboxes in Mail is a pain in the butt sometimes on the iPhone.

For personal use, I enjoy the browser and the apps on the iPhone. But for work, I prefer the integration of Exchange and the simplicity of the Blackberry UI for efficiency.

If I had to choose one device for both purposes (Like I was doing until the iPhone 3G came out), it would probably still be a Blackberry. But I don't have to choose, so I'll enjoy both ;)
Old 12-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
ryan141

Carrier: AT&T

I switched from a Curve for personal use to the iPhone and back again. I tried a few other phones in between the Curve and the iPhone, but in the end I went back to my Curve. I now carry the Bold.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
ryan141

I have a serious problem though.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
Tommy2125
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 216AF4A7

Well i did the other way around i went from an iPhone to a BlackBerry Bold, why? because that i text msg ALOT! i go about 2000+ Text a month is not as bad as my friend he does abouy 5500+ a month so i rather have the keys on the blackberry.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:53 PM   #8
MikeK5117

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-mobile

Hello, my name is Michael and I am a Blackberry addict. Twice I have tried to switch to the iPhone and both times the wicked allure of the Blackberry has pulled me back. When the iPhone first came out I purchased one and only had it a few days before giving to my son. At that time it was too immature a product and even though I am a confirmed Mac user the iPhone just wasn't ready for serious business use.

Second time was after the 2.0 release and the "business" capabilities had been upgraded. Note, both times this was the 2g iPhone as I am a T-Mobile user and don't want to change to AT&T.

This time I kept with it for about 2 weeks until after I had gone on a 10 day, 8 flight trip with my boss to visit our key accounts. He was testing a new Windows Mobile phone and I had the iPhone. Both of us were lost (sometimes literally as he had the only GPS and it was only somewhat reliable). After getting back from that trip the iPhone got retired and I went back to my 8800 until purchasing a Storm (and unlocking for T-Mo) this week.

There are a lot of little things about the iPhone that are great, even with the Storm I still think about purchasing an iPod Touch for some of the apps that are available. But for no-nonsense email, calendar and contact management the BB rules. The one defining item for me on the BB that I don't think iPhone has yet to offer is one screen for all your messages - multiple email accounts, IM's, SMS, etc all on one screen. The iPhone was a real PITA having to jump back and forth to see all my messages.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:44 AM   #9
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I went from a Blackberry 8330 (Verizon) to the iPhone 3G ... I stuck with the iPhone 3G for about 3 Months and then switch to the Storm on Verizon. I think the iPhone is a fantastic device, however I missed the usability of the blackberry OS. I missed having a light to notify me of missed events, I missed being able to copy & paste. And I missed the many MMS messages that my wife and daughter would send me. I am much happier on the storm, and IMHO Verizon's far superior network.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
TamiRene

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

After trying the Storm for a week (and not really liking it due to an issue where the phone wouldn't make and receive calls) I switched to AT&T to try the iPhone (I'm a Mac user). While I like the iPhone because of all the features and programs it has, I do find the service on AT&T to be sub-par to Verizon. Calls kept getting dropped in places where I'd previously had no trouble while on Verizon. I'll be switching back to Verizon and a Blackberry as soon as today. The iPhone is a great device, but I find the Blackberry to be more functional (and Verizon service to be more dependable).
Old 12-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #11
dtmfjunkie

Model: BOLD

I carry both devices now!

Blackberry primary, email, messenger, etc.

iPhone, web surfing and apps
Old 12-16-2008, 02:22 PM   #12
rvinny
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmfjunkie View Post
I carry both devices now!

Blackberry primary, email, messenger, etc.

iPhone, web surfing and apps
do you use the same SIM in both?
wondering what that might do.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:33 PM   #13
Christie83
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Atrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdzialak View Post
Sorry. IT IS a business-class phone. I don't USE it for business. It's not work-issued, etc.
Sorry. I was unclear in my description.
I assumed people would say the iphone is not suitable as a hardcore business phone. I don't use my phone for that was all i meant.

Joe
If you are 1) a Mac user 2) interested in the iPhone, and 3) not needing an incredibly saavy "BUSINESS" phone.....I would definitely recommend the iPhone. Go play with one, see if you like it, do the 30 day trial.

But make sure you research the features it has and the features it is missing! And make sure you are not dependent on receiving and being alerted of work emails at the very second they are sent..

I have an iPhone and I love it. I do not need it for business at all, but I do enjoy its email capabilities and internet..

my 2 cents
Old 12-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #14
Christie83
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Atrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post

Nice avatar! Have you heard him sing Jingle Bombs? Good song.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #15
aydin96

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZ
Default curve to iphone and back to Curve now Storm

As you can tell from the tittle, I have been there and done that... Switching to iphone was one of the biggest mistakes of my life... It was such a horrible experience as a blackberry addict that I wrote my first online review and thought about starting my first blog.... See below for my review and decide for yourself.

"Not for Blackberry Users / Professionals by APPLE lover"
by aydin96 on September 16, 2008

Pros: It has alot of great programs that can entertain you while you are waiting for your emails to come through. great for holding down papers on a windy day, small crisp clear apple mirror on the back to check for lettuce between your teeth after lunch
Cons: Battery life (or lack of it), email functions and reliability, lack of stability of the out of the box apps and/or later added apps. Battery life (again), lack of reliable cell phone service, dropped calls, mysterious voicemails with full-bars.
Summary: I have used and loved every apple product that I own for years. I have macbook air at home, iMac at work, apple tv, time capsule, Ipod touch and all of them work great and seamlessly. Never had ANY, not even one, problem with any of them. xxx8232;I have used and loved every apple product that I own for years. I have macbook air at home, iMac at work, apple tv, time capsule, Ipod touch and all of them work great and seamlessly. Never had ANY, not even one, problem with any of them.

But this was the worst purchase of my life, hands down... Good thing is that I sold it for 360 bucks (I had the 16gb). I could have even sold it for 170 bucks to cover my terminations fee with AT&T.

HERE IS MY STORY;

First, my battery didnt last me until 4pm in the afternoon. I work a 9-5 (on paper) job. I had to use my ipod touch cable at work to charge it during the day. I am a sales executive and receive on average about 50-60 emails daily. Mostly in the morning from overseas. So, half the emails are usually received by my phone in the morning. Or thats what it looks like... In reality though, once you click on the email, it has to download it... When you have a long email that has been going around the world which is about 3-4 pages long by the time it gets to you, the iphone has to wake up, smell the coffee and start downloading the message from my 802.11n (the fastest wireless router available)... It takes forever to say the least. Forget about it if you have to download it via AT&T cell towers. It takes 3 times longer. The whole email interface is a bad joke... It might be great for someone (grandmas, aunts and uncles) who has not been using a blackberry before as you realize that you miss what you used to have... It would have been very well received by me… You can say, well it has 3 G... well, yes it does.. But AT&T 3 G service is like what we used to have as dial-up internet connections back in the day. One moment it is there, next it is not... Also, I realized that if the iphone is connected to WI-FI and you loose the connection to the internet for some reason on that router, it does NOT use the cell network to download the new coming emails (either in push format [.mac account] or in fetch [pop, hotmail, gmail,etc] format). Are you kidding me?? HINT: Turn off the wi-fi and it will start downloading emails from cell network. This phone needs more comments and improvements. The email functionality and dependability that iphone offers would have been acceptable 8-10 years ago…

Speaking of cell network, with the phone on my desk in mid-town manhattan, with full set of bars, I get voicemail alerts... They are fancy, I admit... it is called visual voicemail... Oh, guess who it is... My customer. Just left me a voicemail... Well the phone rings when it feels like it... I spent 2 weeks logging these mysterious voicemails as instructed by "Level II" tech support at AT&T. Time and date and callers of these voicemails... Here is the deal that AT&T made with apple... The moment that you have a problem with the phone, if it is hardware, you have to send it back to apple. We couldnt find a solutions to the problem. They asked me to contact apple. Well, thats not how it works with T-mobile. They stand behind what they sell with their logo on it. The moment you have a problem with you phone, they send you a new one and you send your old one in the same box.. With iphone/at&t duo, you have to take care of it yourself. That to me, is the worst possible scenario for the customer/consumer/john and jane doe... The problem became such a way of life, I got used to it… Until it became a problem with my friends, family and customers … Speaking of customers….

The customer service at AT&T was a big culture shock too. If you don’t have service with them, heads up… If you do have service with them, first of all, I feel sorry for you.. Second, you should call Verizon or T-mobile and realize what a difference there is… It took me 2 calls from Europe at 15mins a piece for AT&T to turn on my international roaming service. Guess what though, I called them 48 hours in advance to make sure that they enabled my int’l roaming. But, as the representative politely told me, he must have forgotten to push “save”. Well, coffee anyone?

This is the first review that I am writing ever in my life… This experience well deserved it though… I sold the iphone. First time I ever sold an electronic. It was weird… But very joyful at the end. I did feel a little bad opening my drawer and pulling out my blackberry. I felt like I had an affair and felt guilty. But the good old faithful ironically fired up right away after being left in the dark for almost 3 months… That’s what I call life in the “battery life”… Called up T-mobile, told them that I was coming back, they reinstated my plan like nothing happened. They didn’t make me commit to a 2 year contract so I can get the upgrade when the new Blackberry comes out meaning that I don’t have to pay the full price… Now that’s service in “customer service”…

Take care all,
Aydin.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:39 PM   #16
greggov
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

I've had a few BBs, and when the iPhone 3G came out, I ditched my Curve for it. I love the iPhone for the seamless integration with iTunes, and MobileMe. I love having everything sync OTA.

However, I'm finding the honeymoon period is over. I find myself getting more and more frustrated with it everyday. Hardware is fine, and all of my main complaints could be resolved with a firmware update, but I'm not holding my breath.

The iPhone just doesn't do many of the things a basic flip phone can do, let alone a BB. I miss copy/paste, I miss MMS, I miss a decent call log, I REALLY miss the status light, I miss being able to set custom sounds for everything (being able to distinguish emails is wonderful...some are important, some are not. My friend also has an iPhone, when we're together and hear that faint "beep" we both have to pull out our phones to look...huge pita? no. ridic? yes) I miss the volume of the BB (I could actually hear the email, SMS alert, and phone ring....imagine that!), and I found the vibrate to be stronger on the BB.

So, you may ask yourself why I even bothered to switch when I knew all the shortcomings.
1) integration with the Mac. Ever tried pocket mac? its a joke...if it even works
2) MobileMe. Having everything sync OTA with Address Book, Mail, and iCal is great
3) Optimism. I kept hoping S. Jobs would figure out copy/paste, MMS, how to stop my custom ringtones from disappearing everytime MobileMe did a sync, and other issues. Well, I think it's been long enough.

So, as soon as I can afford the BB Bold, I'll be switching back.

For other Mac users in the same/similar boat: is there a comparable service to MobileMe for the BB? I've seen talk of MailStreet and Mail2Web as exchange services, but do those integrate with iCal and address book?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #17
pnd4pnd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

the iphone lasted all of one day for me. simply - i hated it. to qualify this - i did not care about having music or photos or silly games. i use my phone as a business tool and with 3 different email accounts. some of the things i hated:

1. switching between email accounts - like 5 gestures at least
2. searching for contacts - cumbersome at best.
3. battery life was awful
4. shortcuts - bb has one key shortcuts for everything
5. sorting or seaching emails - not there

if you search my previous posts, you will find a longer write up i did. bottom line if you dont use it for business you will probably love it. if you want a nice flashy toy go for it!

eric
Old 12-30-2008, 05:00 AM   #18
Tommy2125

Model: 9700
PIN: 216AF4A7

i first went from a bb8100 to the iPhone then i went back to a bb8310 then i went to the bb 9000 then i went to the HTC touch Pro.... then i went back to a bb 9000 :D hahahah
Old 12-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #19
dtsm
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
Carrier: TMO

BB 8820 user here, bought 1st gen iPhone on eBay, unlocked and jailbroken. For emails, can't beat BB. iPhone is more versatile and as long as you have decent connection, lots of fun to use.

iPhone on TMO network is iffy.....

I switch back and forth. When I'm overseas, use BB with my base TMO account and iPhone for local prepaid.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #20
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy2125 View Post
Well i did the other way around i went from an iPhone to a BlackBerry Bold, why? because that i text msg ALOT! i go about 2000+ Text a month is not as bad as my friend he does abouy 5500+ a month so i rather have the keys on the blackberry.
Assuming 30 days in a month, and at least 8 hours a day sleeping, showering, etc where you can't text message - your friend is doing a text message about every 5 minutes, of EVERY waking hour, of EVERY day of the month on average. Your friend needs a life!
Closed Thread