BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
aifos

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Is MobileMe slow on a BlackBerry?

Please Login to Remove!

I signed up for Mac's new MobileMe account, got a me.com email address, and am testing it with my BB to see how well it works. The sync functions are awesome but I'm emails sent to my me.com address take far longer to show up on my BB than emails sent to my other email addresses. For example, emails sent to my yahoo account show up almost immediately on my BB whereas emails sent to my me.com account are taking between 9 and 11 minutes. Has anyone else noticed this or have any explanation for this? Thanks.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
The Sage
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: BIC
Carrier: T-Mobile

Just a warning to all. MobileMe is still a work in progress and full of bugs. Give Apple several months to work out the bugs before signing up. I'm a long time .Mac customer and the switch by Apple to MobileMe has been a nightmare. Even Apple admits they have screwed up in an email to customers today. Apple is giving all MobileMe subscribers an extra 30 days of service for free due to the problems.

The sync service between devices is very unreliable. Tonight a MobileMe sync to my Windows PC wiped out all 600 of my Outlook contacts without any warning. As luck would have it I did a Blackberry sync shortly after this and wiped out my Blackberry contacts.

Buyer beware! Avoid using MobileMe.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:21 AM   #3
justdiana

Model: pearl
Carrier: Verizon

I've been using dot.Mac long before I got the BB. I didn't notice any consistent issues regarding email receipt time. Since it's become MobileMe, things seem about the same. Speed of delivery does vary. Differences in email receipt time could be due to server load, signal strength or some other gremlin.

Text messages are quicker than email. Phone calls are quicker than text messages. How fast do you need to be contacted?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
shlingding
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmo

So you dont need to be using an iphone to use mobileme? I didnt realize that! A macbook and a bb will be synched up just like using BIS?
Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
jfkeith
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdiana View Post
I've been using dot.Mac long before I got the BB. I didn't notice any consistent issues regarding email receipt time. Since it's become MobileMe, things seem about the same. Speed of delivery does vary. Differences in email receipt time could be due to server load, signal strength or some other gremlin.

Text messages are quicker than email. Phone calls are quicker than text messages. How fast do you need to be contacted?
I also have used dot.Mac and currently am using MobileMe to my BB8310 on ATT. I've noticed that since the switch the MobilMe email is definitely slower than before, so I would say that it's more of an Apple development issue than the BB.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
justdiana

Model: pearl
Carrier: Verizon
Default syncing

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlingding View Post
So you dont need to be using an iphone to use mobileme? I didnt realize that! A macbook and a bb will be synched up just like using BIS?
Well... it's not quite that simple. The BB will send/receive email using MobileMe - it won't sync the calendars and contacts. To do that you need to use a cable and special software - either PocketMac or MissingSync - neither of which works reliably.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #7
sjscotilla

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default BB to MobileMe

I use the 8830 hooked up with a cable to macbook pro running missing synch and everything works very well and very quickly. You just don't have wireless instant synching of address book and calender. I still always have all emails available in my pocket and add anything I want to BB calender on the go and synch once a day to the mac which backs itself up to .mac (now mobileme) every fifteen minutes. I'm pretty well covered. Any docs I'm working on at work PC or the mac are always saved to the .mac account too. Someday I'll get tired of using a cable, but not worth paying verizon money to get out of my contract at this point.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdiana View Post
Well... it's not quite that simple. The BB will send/receive email using MobileMe - it won't sync the calendars and contacts. To do that you need to use a cable and special software - either PocketMac or MissingSync - neither of which works reliably.
I've used Missing Sync for some time now and have never had a reliability problem. Don't know what you are talking about.
Closed Thread