BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 11:24 PM   #1
david911

Model: pearl
Default Turning off wireless synchronization

Please Login to Remove!

I have been having many difficulties with syncronizing the pearl to my macintosh. One thing I read said that it is important to turn off wireless synchronization. The instructions say to do this by going into an application, say address book, clicking the menu button, selecting options, and then deselecting wireless syncronization.

When I choose address book options, I don't see a wireless synch option. Any ideas?

I am using a cingular pearl.

Thanks,

David Feldman
Old 12-06-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
mrpg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wireless sync only applies to BES (enterprise server). You're a CIngular user, that makes you BIS. So for you there is nothing to disable. You don't have it.

I do believe.

What is it you're trying to sync? Calendar? Email(read/deleted) etc etc
Old 12-06-2006, 11:52 PM   #3
david911

Model: pearl
Default trying to synch iCal and address book

Using PocketMac 4.0 software downloaded from RIM.

The software seems very buggy, and I can't get it to work, and support is slow, and I am not aware of any other option for Macintosh.

If I can't get it working, I will have to return the phone, which will be a bummer because I like it so far.

david
Old 01-22-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
devilsadidas

Model: 8700g

i am having trouble with syncronization aswell, i am on a bes but dont want to do an ota sync i need to sync with my pc. what do i need to do to do this? the only thing i have been able to figure out is to delete the service books but then i have to re-establish my bes connection wich pisses of the tech team
Old 01-23-2007, 12:32 AM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpg
You're a CIngular user, that makes you BIS. So for you there is nothing to disable. You don't have it.
Simply being a Cingular user does not prevent him from possibly being a BES user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David911

The software seems very buggy, and I can't get it to work, and support is slow, and I am not aware of any other option for Macintosh.

If I can't get it working, I will have to return the phone, which will be a bummer because I like it so far.

david
Try searching in the Mac User's Corner...located here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/mac-users-corner/

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadidas
am having trouble with syncronization aswell, i am on a bes but dont want to do an ota sync i need to sync with my pc. what do i need to do to do this? the only thing i have been able to figure out is to delete the service books but then i have to re-establish my bes connection wich pisses of the tech team
Here is what to do to sync with Outlook (or other) and not the BES. Go into Options for each PIM application you want to sync and set wireless sync to "No."

Then install Desktop Manager for use with BIS (not BES.) Configure Intellisync to sync with the proper PIM profile and sync. Dont turn on wireless sync again or you may lose data.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
mr_kitty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by david911

david

The software is buggy.

The support is non-existant.

The other solution for macintosh isn't out yet (Markspace's Missing Sync for Blackberry), and is yet to be seen as to whether it will be any better than pocketmac.

I find that there are two reoccurring scenarios (i end up configuring 2-5 BB 8100's a week):

PocketMac 3 was previously installed on the computer. In this case the computer will occasionally, or not at all see the device. Syncs may complete once and never again, or never ever complete at all. The solution is to manually uninstall all bits of pocketmac 3 and pocketmac 4 and reinstall.

Second scenario is on OS 10.4.x, syncing completes but the computer will not shutdown after. This is because the internal memory of the 8100/Pearl is registered by the OS as an "Unknown USB Device" (UUD). On the connection of an UUD, the OS launches a utility called pcscd to see if it is a smartcard/memory card/pc card reader and try to find the right driver to talk to it. pcscd fails to find a driver, and fails to time out.

It continues in a loop taking up all available processor power, cannot be force quit or killed and the machine can only be shut down by hard booting it (holding down the power button). Of course hard booting your computer risks doing serious damage to your hard drive formatting and should be avoided whenever possible.

The solution for the second problem is to put pcscd into conservative mode (you can find instructions for that if you search the previous pocketmac sucks threads). Doing this tho risks disabling any valid smartcard readers, including digital cameras. In my experience thy all work fine (i have my clients have their cameras ready to test after i do this hack), the only side effect I have seen is the extra memory card inside the pearl becomes inconsistent... sometimes it will mount on the desktop, sometimes not. Your results may vary.

Myself, I run pcscd in conservative mode and am anxiously awaiting the release of the Missing Sync solution, which beyond basic stability promises contact photo sync in addressbook, iphoto sync and playlist sync with itunes for the pearl. If it works reliably and delivers that functionality (and i can find a decent pair of headphones), I can retire my iPod nano.

Sadly the pearl is pretty much the only game in town for me. I need a functional calendar, I need a relatively functional keyboard, a full web browser, various IM clients, multiple email accounts, addressbook, maps etc all in a small sturdy device that fits in my pocket. the syncing is the achilles heel of it all. Even the jesus phone (Apple iPhone) isn't going be enough for me as it's not currently intending to ship an IM client and isn't opened up for third party development.
Closed Thread