BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
qmac73

Model: none
Question Help- .mac mail and blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, so please frgive me. I am sure this has probably been posted a million times already, but I am something of a luddite when it comes to stuff like this.
I am wanting to get a Blackberry, but want to know if there is a way of getting instant mail on one if I have a .mac email address. I know that I can forward the e-mail to a blackberry e-mail address, but if I reply, is there a way of getting it sent to my .mac address so that I have a record of it in my .mac email, so that in essance it look like it comes from my .mac e-mail, as opposed to a blackeberry e-mail address?
Sorry for being so clueless.
Thanks
Old 07-29-2006, 05:10 PM   #2
iPetie

Model: 8703
Carrier: Bell

Yes, you can Auto Bcc your .Mac Mail account from you Blackberry internet service. Then you will need to add a filter on the BIS not to push that same message to your BB.
So you will have a copy of the sent mail from your BB and it won't loop back to your BB.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

You can simply check the option within you BIS setup to leave message on server for a set amout of days. That way you can collect mail on your BB and inbox.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:32 AM   #4
kstew
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPetie
Yes, you can Auto Bcc your .Mac Mail account from you Blackberry internet service. Then you will need to add a filter on the BIS not to push that same message to your BB.
So you will have a copy of the sent mail from your BB and it won't loop back to your BB.
How would "install" that filter? I'm sure it's a simple solution.

Thanks in advance.

kstew
Old 07-30-2006, 08:53 AM   #5
iPetie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew
How would "install" that filter? I'm sure it's a simple solution.

Thanks in advance.

kstew
From within your BlackBerry Internet Service client ( mine is at bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=bell) where your email addresses are shown at login. On the right hand side of each email account, it has filters. Click on that for your raw Carrier BB address. Then click add filter and choose a filter name. Below that select "From" in the drop down menu. In the contains field input the address that you are sending the Bcc, from on your BB. Make sure you check "Do Not Forward to Handheld". Click "Add Filter".

Done!

These instructions are for the New BIS client,. However, the same process is available on the old one if you carrier has not upgraded yet. I think it's in Options/Filter if memory serves me correctly.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
kstew

Thanks, iPetie! Sometimes I wonder how something so easy can totally fly past me. I have everything up and running perfectly.

kstew
Old 07-30-2006, 04:17 PM   #7
iPetie

Awesome, kstew, I do the same thing once n a while.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:45 PM   #8
qmac73

Model: none

OK, forgive my utter uselessness, but how do I find the said bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=bell file?
Please forgive my hopelessness. Apparantly it's one of my more endearing quailities (at least my wife thinks so!!)
Old 07-31-2006, 04:37 PM   #9
mister.zero
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmac73
OK, forgive my utter uselessness, but how do I find the said bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=bell file?
Please forgive my hopelessness. Apparantly it's one of my more endearing quailities (at least my wife thinks so!!)
It's a web address, so just paste it into your web browser's address bar. If your carrier is not bellsouth, however, this site won't do you much good. For instance, the sprint version is at https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=sprint You could try inserting your carrier's name after the "=" It couldn't hurt to try.

Otherwise, go to your phone carrier's website and search for the address, call their customer support line and ask, or search around this forum.

Perhaps a more helpful person will have a specific answer for you.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:19 AM   #10
slapshotw

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmac73
Ok, so please frgive me. I am sure this has probably been posted a million times already, but I am something of a luddite when it comes to stuff like this.
I am wanting to get a Blackberry, but want to know if there is a way of getting instant mail on one if I have a .mac email address. I know that I can forward the e-mail to a blackberry e-mail address, but if I reply, is there a way of getting it sent to my .mac address so that I have a record of it in my .mac email, so that in essance it look like it comes from my .mac e-mail, as opposed to a blackeberry e-mail address?
Sorry for being so clueless.
Thanks
Forget about what everybody else said-- just set it up as an IMAP account. Here's the info, straight from the .mac website:

Quote:
Open your email program (in this case the BIS settings) and set up an account that uses your .Mac member name for the account name, your .Mac password for the mail password, mail.mac.com for the POP or IMAP server, and your ISP's SMTP server for the outgoing mail server (which you won't need on BIS).
-Matt
Old 08-01-2006, 01:07 PM   #11
mister.zero
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

It's amazing what a little sleep will do for the brain. Re-reading the original post, I now see that the OP doesn't yet have a blackberry and is only asking what is possible. The simple answer (YES, it's possible) is always the best one.

The instructions that slapshotw posted are really useful, as well.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:43 PM   #12
kstew

So, like a dozen posts to come up with one answer, YES.

That's awesome.
Closed Thread