Old 12-08-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
zimm17
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default 8130 can't mount as drive on mac leopard

Please Login to Remove!

I've tried to different micro SD cards and I can't get the phone to mount on my mac.

I enable "USB mass storage device" and the blackberry shows up in disk utility.

When plugged in I say "yes" to enable mass storage device.

In disk utility I have the 1gb RIM blackberry drive, then under it like a sub folder is is a drive called "blackberry".

When I click on the top one, the "mount" button is greyed out.

If I click on the sub-folder "blackberry", I have the mount button available, but it says "The disk "BLACKBERRY" could not be mounted. Try running First Aid on the disk and then retry mounting."

I verify and repair disk with not changes.

I did go to the "erase" option and it says volume format is MS-DOS (FAT) 16. That's what the blackberry formatted the chip as.

If I erase the volume format, the drive then mounts on the desktop. I started transferring music via the "missing sync" for blackberry and the phone restarted part way through the transfer. Then the phone says card not formatted. Ugggg.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
tom.henderson@lfhi.com

Default Verizon 8130 won't mount in Leopard

I am also having the problem where a Verizon 8130 is not detected in OS X Leopard. Other Blackberry's have worked, but this phone is not detected by the OS as of today.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
vidmaster99

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

There is an issue with 8130 SD card mounting.

Some people have had success with this:

Format your card with FAT32 and not FAT16. To format FAT32 must be done on a PC or with VMWare.

This does not work for everyone, and RIM is expected to come out with an update to address this.

See this article:
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Peark 8130 + Mac?
Old 12-20-2007, 11:33 PM   #4
webatomic

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidmaster99 View Post
There is an issue with 8130 SD card mounting.

Some people have had success with this:

Format your card with FAT32 and not FAT16. To format FAT32 must be done on a PC or with VMWare.

This does not work for everyone, and RIM is expected to come out with an update to address this.

See this article:
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Peark 8130 + Mac?
After formatting in disk utility with MS-DOS (FAT) the only non mac os option, I've gotten it to mount. It reboots every time I turn mass storage on or off though and is kind of a pain, but I was able to transfer an MP3 and set it as a ring tone, which was my objective.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:30 AM   #5
HardHatMack

Carrier: Telus

Same issue on a brand new Pearl 8130. I'll try formatting under Windows and post the results. Very annoying.

UPDATE:

I formatted as FAT32 under Windows and then tried it on my mac. After about 20 seconds, the drive appeared! I checked the console log and there were some I/O errors, but everything seems to work fine now.

Last edited by HardHatMack; 12-22-2007 at 12:52 AM..
Old 01-08-2008, 05:09 AM   #6
hi its me arya

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

will the pone only show up on the mac if you have a memory card?
Old 01-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
vidmaster99

Quote:
will the pone only show up on the mac if you have a memory card?
Yes, only the SD card will mount on a Mac. The internal memory of a BlackBerry will not.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
dschwartzer

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm17 View Post
I've tried to different micro SD cards and I can't get the phone to mount on my mac.

I enable "USB mass storage device" and the blackberry shows up in disk utility.

When plugged in I say "yes" to enable mass storage device.

In disk utility I have the 1gb RIM blackberry drive, then under it like a sub folder is is a drive called "blackberry".

When I click on the top one, the "mount" button is greyed out.

If I click on the sub-folder "blackberry", I have the mount button available, but it says "The disk "BLACKBERRY" could not be mounted. Try running First Aid on the disk and then retry mounting."

I verify and repair disk with not changes.

I did go to the "erase" option and it says volume format is MS-DOS (FAT) 16. That's what the blackberry formatted the chip as.

If I erase the volume format, the drive then mounts on the desktop. I started transferring music via the "missing sync" for blackberry and the phone restarted part way through the transfer. Then the phone says card not formatted. Ugggg.

Any suggestions?

This is the exact issue I am having with two 8130 (Verizon) and two different mac (G5 iMac and G4 iBook both running Leopard). I do know that others on these forums have indicated they can mount the cards on a mac so I'm hoping there is an interim fix.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
avionicsman

Carrier: Telus
Default Same mount problem

I am having the guys at missing sync work on the issue. we'll see. Love the mac, love the phone, wish they would love each other though.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #10
vidmaster99

Has anyone tried updating their BlackBerry firmware to see if this fixes the problem. Of course the downside is you need a PC or virtual PC to do this:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...3-0-127-a.html
Old 07-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #11
dgs2000

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

I upgraded to .127... it doesn't fix this issue. :(
Old 08-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #12
TimBever

Default A Fix

Good day. I too am experiencing this problem. I have a Pearl 8130 and I am running Leopard on an iMAC. After obtaining help from several sources, there is a fix. Leopard does not recognize drives formatted in FAT16. It appears the OS in Pearl formats media cards in FAT16. The good news is the BlackBerry OS will work with other FAT disk formats and that is the trick. Mount your Pearl on a PC running Windows 2000, XP or Vista and go "My Computer". At "My Computer" select the drive marked BlackBerry and go to the File drop down menu. Select "Format". You will be presented with a drop menu for formatting options. On the "File System" select FAT32 and then check "Quick format". Click "start" and answer Yes to the next prompt. This worked for me. Good luck.
Tim Bever
Old 09-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #13
rallanr

Carrier: Bell Mobility
Default solved (sort of)

I've been having the same problem of my SD card not showing up on the desktop in OSX 10.5.5. I could see it in Disk Utility but that's all. After reading the posts here, I used Bluetooth to send the files that I have on the SD card to my laptop and then used Disk Utility to erase and format the SD card. Disk Utility has a setting for MS-DOS (fat) which is the one I used. This is the Fat32 format that people have been talking about. Fortunately I didn't need a Windows machine to do this.

Once I had done this the SD card appeared on my desktop. I ejected it and used my BB to confirm that the BlackBerry/music, photos, videos, etc folders were on the card. Then I reconnected the BB using the USB cable and dragged all the files back to the proper folders on the SD card. So far things were going well, however every second time I plugged it in, the BB would restart - something I have heard about from other forums discussing this same issue. There was a 0K file called BB.SD (I think) that appeared on the BB but after some testing I deleted it - not sure if that was a good idea or not.

None the less, at least it still appears on the desktop once the restart has happened.

One good thing is that I can now properly eject the BB from the desktop. On previous occasions I would use the eject command but it wouldn't work so I'd just have to unplug it and get the standard "not put away properly" message from the Finder.

Setting the media card auto connect (in Options) to "prompt" or "no" seemed to address this. However I now have an issue with PocketMac crashing during sync. I'll try restarting to see if that addresses it.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:22 AM   #14
rallanr

Default more fun

Well this just gets better and better. After restarting I couldn't get the BB to be recognized by PM. Then when it finally did (after several tries) and after switching back and forth between the USB and Serial options. It started to sync (coincidentally with the SD card mounted). All was fine (but slow) until the SD card spontaneously unmounted and I got the "not put away properly" Finder message.

I waited a few minutes, connected again - the BB restarted all by itself - and now I'm syncing. Contacts are done but calendar is going slowly. The strange thing is that in the Log window I see that several contacts are being "downgraded" however their information has not changed since the last sync a few hours ago. Plus I have the Mac set to overwrite the BB in order to deal with all kinds of other flakiness.

I'm going to open a ticket (or several) with PM but I don't have a lot of hope that they really know what's going on. I bet they will tell me to uninstall and reinstall, do a datapurge, etc.

Film at 11 as they say.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:24 AM   #15
rallanr

Oh I forgot to mention that in the middle of all that I got the error -1 skipping message too. The hardest thing is trying to determine what the common factors are here. While I want this fixed I'm starting to get sick of being an unpaid beta tester for PocketMac and RIM with this software.
Closed Thread