Old 10-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #61
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxnation View Post
found the problem. I love it! But I thought there was voice notes in the media section. Not on mine? Also I saw a post earlyer that wasnt answerd. Can we now watch video?
I don't have anything in the media section either for voice notes.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:01 PM   #62
PCW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Thumbs down Move applications back to home screen?

Now that 4.2 has been out for a day, anybody figure out how to move applications from the Applications screen back to the main screen, where they can be accessed quicker? You'd think the developers would make that user-selectable.

I'm glad that folks are finally getting some of these long-awaited system improvements, but I believe it comes with a cost, in terms of overall usability. Pardon the rant, but I just need to vent a bit here:

Despite the desired improvements that come with 4.2, it seems that RIM has taken a few steps backwards with common sense operation of the Blackberry.

Maybe I'm being too picky, but this OS upgrade doesn't seem like a whole lot of progress. Indeed, adding extra steps to the operation of the device just negates the overall functionality and user-friendliness. That's not a RIM hallmark.

I've been using RIM's products since 1999, beginning with my old trusty 850 and 950 devices, so I'm not exactly a newbie with these gizmos. If I were grading things, this upgrade would rate a C+ at the most.

I'm on the verge of reinstalling 4.1. In fairness, I'm holding off until I play with 4.2 a bit more, learn as much as I can about it, see if I can adapt to the sluggishness, and see what others post about their findings, opinions, etc.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:12 PM   #63
redsoxnation
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: SPRINT

This does not happen on the 8703e with sprint. I installed the software and have all of my Icons I.e. Gmail,Ygo,google maps" all on my home screen. I also still have sprint theme. Just updated software so that must be a verizon issue/update.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:16 PM   #64
PCW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Re: Must be a VZW thing...

Probably. It would make sense, huh?

It just smacks of VZW's interference. Just like the rest of their cellphones.

Be thankful for Sprint's flexibility and free-spirited attitude towards their devices and their customers.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:16 PM   #65
hnsimpson

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8703e: BlackBerry8703e/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCW
Now that 4.2 has been out for a day, anybody figure out how to move applications from the Applications screen back to the main screen, where they can be accessed quicker? You'd think the developers would make that user-selectable.

I'm glad that folks are finally getting some of these long-awaited system improvements, but I believe it comes with a cost, in terms of overall usability. Pardon the rant, but I just need to vent a bit here:

Despite the desired improvements that come with 4.2, it seems that RIM has taken a few steps backwards with common sense operation of the Blackberry.

Maybe I'm being too picky, but this OS upgrade doesn't seem like a whole lot of progress. Indeed, adding extra steps to the operation of the device just negates the overall functionality and user-friendliness. That's not a RIM hallmark.

I've been using RIM's products since 1999, beginning with my old trusty 850 and 950 devices, so I'm not exactly a newbie with these gizmos. If I were grading things, this upgrade would rate a C+ at the most.

I'm on the verge of reinstalling 4.1. In fairness, I'm holding off until I play with 4.2 a bit more, learn as much as I can about it, see if I can adapt to the sluggishness, and see what others post about their findings, opinions, etc.
You are dead on.

The sluggish response time, plus the scattering of applications behind folders makes this upgrade feel like a clumsy step backwards.

I'll give it a week, if my opinion of it doesn't improve I'll go back to 4.1

-simpson

***ADDED***
I'm keeping it.

-Young MC

Last edited by hnsimpson; 11-07-2007 at 02:05 PM..
Old 10-30-2007, 10:53 PM   #66
minchey

Model: 8703e
PIN: 32C7F6E9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCW View Post

Try Alt + Click on your wheel. You should be able to move applications so that your most used ones are easily accessible. you can also hide the ones you don't care much for. I'm using the Zen theme and my top five are on my main screen.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:09 PM   #67
PCW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Been there, done that.

Thanks, I've already tried alt - click, move icon. No bueno. (Hence my original question.)

Are you suggesting that there's a way to move icons from one screen to another, and not just within one screen? Please let us in on the secret.

I tried the Zen theme. Not my cup of tea.

Ditto for the Dimension theme.

I'm no big fan of the Verizon theme, but at least I can read the icons and labeling at a quick glance. The colors are contrasted decently (as opposed to a blue battery symbol atop a blue sky background. Great... (eyes rolling upward)

I'll bet that within the week, some clever dude (or dudette) will write some code that'll fix the stupid quirks of 4.2.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:28 PM   #68
minchey

PIN: 32C7F6E9

So you're saying by using Alt+Click, you are unable to scroll using the trackwheel to any screen?

I can arrange the icons in any location by doing Alt+Click; from screen to screen. I hear Zen's not for you but I arranged the most five used icons into screen one...which in return makes these the icons listed on the main screen. Works for me...

You're right about the clouds. You can change the picture in Zen. If you have a picture you would like to use, resize it to 320 X 240. You can transfer it over through the Desktop software. Go into Media and select the picture, it'll give you an option to use as your background.

Good luck
Old 10-31-2007, 12:01 AM   #69
PCW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Minchey,
I'll play around with the Zen theme again and try your suggestions. I may import a "blank" photo, perhaps white or another single color, and use that as a background "desktop" theme.

I appreciate your assistance. We'll all get through these trying times!
Old 10-31-2007, 03:20 AM   #70
grinch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630

4.2 installed and working for me, but the Verizon theme is such an eyesore and I really miss my Insight theme. Wish I had known that they simply wouldn't be there after the upgrade, big letdown for me.

Hopefully, I will be able to find a more suitable theme soon.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:38 AM   #71
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

wow yall are some picky people they bring you uptodate with the rest of the world and yall still fuss
Old 10-31-2007, 06:16 AM   #72
redsoxnation

yeah im using the Demnsion Theme and thats why all of my apps are on my home screen.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:19 AM   #73
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
wow yall are some picky people they bring you uptodate with the rest of the world and yall still fuss

Thats what I was thinking but you know even if it was perfect, people will find something to complain about.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:33 AM   #74
Nomis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Not a bad update so far as I can tell. GPS gave me an error when I tried to start it.... I have a feeling I need to thank Verizon for that though.

** UPDATE **

I have noticed that double-clicking the thumb wheel will no longer unlock the device. It looks like it does but then you still have to press the keypad to unlock.

Last edited by Nomis; 10-31-2007 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 10-31-2007, 07:47 AM   #75
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

weeee upgrade done ... no problems ... now I just need to re-activate service on the device.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:05 AM   #76
brownhead
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint
Default Question about the internal GPS on Sprint with 4.2

Can someone tell me how to get this going on Sprint's 8703e? I just downloaded the new OS 4.2 and not sure how this works. I have BB Maps but it keeps asking for an external GPS. I checked the setting mentioned but I only have Options -> Advanced Options -> GPS -> GPS Services = On. I dont see an 'internal' option. Can someone help out? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill875 View Post
Ah, ok. I didn't see that option. I just found out when I attempted to download some updated apps that my employer started blocking the installation of 3rd party Apps. I was able to download stuff last week, so I'm kind of bummed :(

Anyway, I wiped my device, installed the blank IT policy that can be found in the FAQ, then proceeded to delete BBRY maps. I then resent my service books through the Sprint BIS site and was then able to get many of my Applications updated from older versions OTA. I got everything I wanted installed, then connected up over VPN with BBRY Desktop Manager and got the Enterprise Activation completed.

All is now well and BBRY Maps works perfectly!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:26 AM   #77
redsoxnation

Question

Does anyone have Voice Notes in their media file? I thought this would be one of the upgrads to 4.2
Old 10-31-2007, 08:37 AM   #78
pr4424
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A
Default how to play a wav with 4.2?

Hello, I am having trouble playing a wav file that I receive as an email attachment. I can see it says "1 attachment" then at the bottom it says voicemail.wav but neither one of them give me the option to save the wav file or to play it.

What am I doing wrong?

Patrick
Old 10-31-2007, 08:54 AM   #79
whsbuss

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxnation View Post
Does anyone have Voice Notes in their media file? I thought this would be one of the upgrads to 4.2
Nope. Don't have it.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:20 AM   #80
bill875
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhead View Post
Can someone tell me how to get this going on Sprint's 8703e? I just downloaded the new OS 4.2 and not sure how this works. I have BB Maps but it keeps asking for an external GPS. I checked the setting mentioned but I only have Options -> Advanced Options -> GPS -> GPS Services = On. I dont see an 'internal' option. Can someone help out? Thanks.
I don't have that option either. To correct this problem, delete BB Maps from "Options > Advanced Options > Applications and download it again from mobile.blackberry.com.

Hopefully you do not have an IT Policy that blocks third party apps from being installed.
Closed Thread