Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
djdave99

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: telus
Default calendar

Please Login to Remove!

Well, I've had a bb for about a year and and a half. I started using the calendar, thinking this is my solution to doing my bookings for my business, and I must say I am very disappointed.
First I simpily entered entries not realizing there were several calendars for applactions, and emails. Some of my entries were on facebook. Some were on gmail, some were on something called default, and another on hotmail.
I needed to deleted facebook, resulting in my entries being deleted.
I managed to re enter the information, using a single email calender, a (Gmail) , thinking the sync feature would be useful. I used a app called google sync. Not understanding how sync worked, I also had the feature checked in the calendar options that synced the email. Somehow this conflicted the entries on my calendar. Some of my entries were deleted on the goole calendar, some were on the bb itself.
This occured when attempting the connect the bb to the computer to do a synce with outlook. ( Asking to disable the sync) I only wanted to use the computer to clean up the entries instead of the phone, and now I'm in a bigger mess. I feel like I should have just kept my book like I have for years, and wrote in it.
I just wanted to write entries in my calendar, and have it backed up. Now I don't even know if I can recover all my entries, as this is the third tine I'll need to re enter everything from scratch.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: calendar

There are people here who can tell you how to use the calendar properly and sync with whatever you want (where it's possible). I can give you my opinion and tell you what I do, which will work, but doesn't involve google or facebook. If you want to use google sync, though, there will be others to give you the info you need to avoid problems.

At any rate, the data that has been lost on both the BlackBerry and Outlook is probably gone. If you have a backup from before you lost data, you could do a selective restore, but that will overwrite any new entries you made since the backup. It may be easier to fix the calendar in Outlook and re-enter appointments there, and then re-sync to the BlackBerry.

So, the next question is what do you want to do? I can help you deal with the multiple calendars and sync with Outlook. I can't help with google sync.

In the meantime for background, see KB17992-Using the Calendar application on a BlackBerry smartphone that supports multiple CICAL service books.

Last edited by aiharkness; 03-02-2011 at 02:08 PM..
Old 03-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
djdave99

Carrier: telus

I just want a colendar I can put entries in it be backed up. What is the best method?
Old 03-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
somerandomguy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: tmo

dont blame the Berry for perceived shortcomings due to your ignorance. read the manual, then use. is much better.

second, the best solution is to use a gmail calendar sync. GCal will sync with outlook / thunderbird and a bunch of others (there are tons of plugins) and is auto synced to your BB calendar.

entries made on my BB show up instantly on my Gcal and about 5 min later in outlook. delete an entry in 1 and its gone from the other 2 about 5 min later.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Here is what I do. I don't use facebook, don't use google apps, and I do not have any email accounts in BIS set to synchronize contacts or calendar. Calendar entries are only modified by me on the handset or via sync with Outlook using Desktop Manager.

If you have multiple email accounts linked to your BIS account you will have multiple calendars. Decide which of these you want to be the default. You will probably want to use the address that you have configured Outlook to use. If you have configured Outlook to access more than one email account, then use the address that you have set to be the default service in Outlook.

Now, on the BlackBerry, open options > advanced options > default services. Set the default CICAL and default CMIME to the address you want to use as default.

New calendar entries on the BlackBerry will automatically go into this calendar unless you purposely use a different calendar. Accepted calendar invites will go into this calendar. This is the calendar that will sync with Outlook via Desktop Manager.

Now, you may have calendar entries scattered in other calendars. To consolidate all data in the default, do the following: Open calendar. Open calendar options. Highlight each of the other calendars in turn, and type move. You will be prompted about moving all entries in that calendar to the default (or maybe it will say base or system calendar). Press yes or ok. Repeat for the other calendars except the default calendar.

You are now ready to sync with Outlook. You still have to decide how to reconstruct your calendar, but you are ready to sync as soon as you've figured out what to do on that score.

My advice is to at least figure out how to decouple the facebook app from your calendar, or delete the app, and stop using the google sync unless you really need it, or until you figure out what went wrong and how to stop it going wrong. But follow the above for simple use of the native calendar app and Desktop Manager sync with Outlook.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
bn3matt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: orange uk

ok what I do is this........

i have a google calendar
I use google sync on my bberry so they are linked
The google sync can sync several google calendars at the same time BUT it puts them all in to the same calendar on the blackberry. You can set sync options on the google calendar so as not to syn contacts and gmail.

I set the default cical to google calendar

To sync with out look i sync from google calendar to my pc not via desktop manager or blackberry.

It is a bit of a long way round but works. I dont manually add anything to out look calendar and mainly use it as a back up.
Closed Thread