Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
xfile102

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T Mobile
Unhappy Loading Apps

Please Login to Remove!

I am going crazy. I could really use a hand. Can someone PLEASE explain how I could load Themes and Games onto my Blackberry 8310 without a degree in programming and extensive experience in reverse engineering software?

Almost every place I get Themes from makes them available in .jad form only. My BB will only load from .alx file through the DM. However, most admins on sites think that posting the .alx for people is a major no-no because of fear that you will somehow alter or change their $30,000 piece piece of software (cmon, its a THEME for god's sake.)

So enough griping, I can just manually load the .jad files through a drag and drop, then browse to them, and they try to install, but EVERY time I do this, the install FAILS. EVERY time. So I have a folder ful of Themes, Apps, and Games, some of them which I had to PAY for, so I cannot use any of them. (Kiss my $30 some odd goodbye)

So I look around online, and I find that through a RIDICULOUSLY complicated method of downloading and installing a grand total of 11 programs, apps, applets, java extensions and the like, that with about 30 minutes of work for EACH ONE, I can use the most NON USER FRIENDLY software on the planet to convert the .jad files into .alx files.

But there is a LEGION of people out there with BB's loaded to the gills with games, apps and themes, their individual levels of skill with computers ranging from knowing how to play minesweeper all the way to Network Admins and A+ Certified Geniuses. So I know there is an easier way to do this.
I would like to appeal to the extremely deep vault of user experience and knowledge here on this board, and see if someone can aid me in getting this done.

Thank You in advance to all the people who read this full post, and do not simply spout canned answers telling me to do one of the things mentioned as already having been done.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

It's difficult to install programs when they are .jar/.jad. Do you have a data plan? Most of the software and themes were designed primarily to be downloaded and installed OTA (over the air).
Old 04-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
xfile102

Default No Data Plan

Thanks for the quick response! No Data Plan. I bought my BB for its amazing keyboard for texting, its software and the applications available, not the use the internet. I have a laptop and netbook for that. However. almost any place that offers to send the programs or apps via a message t my BB for OTA processing, works like a charm.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Maybe you could get the data plan for a month (or even less, I know Tmobile will pro-rate the duration that you have the data plan) and install what you need?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

No need for such a degree -- I don't have one.

However, I'd recommend going the OTA install route. App Loader works but it's much more of a hassle as you've discovered.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Yeah, you don't need a degree. You just need a data plan.

Otherwise, you will likely need to be content with "its amazing keyboard for texting, its software and the applications available" the way the are and not with the addition of these themes and games.

Otherwise, continue to search for theme with ZIP version which can be installed with BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #7
xfile102

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama View Post
Yeah, you don't need a degree. You just need a data plan.

Otherwise, you will likely need to be content with "its amazing keyboard for texting, its software and the applications available" the way the are and not with the addition of these themes and games.

Otherwise, continue to search for theme with ZIP version which can be installed with BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

LOL. I hope that was acknowledgment and agreement with the units capabilities, and not a snyde, smug attempt at an insult. I am a parent with limited income, so I have no need to add another $30 a month solely so I can look at emails every 3 minutes on the go. If I was a corporate slave that needed constant contact, it would be fine, as the EMPLOYER would pay for it. But I am not. Now, on to your USEFUL information section....

I can load Zip Files? Almost all of them came as compressed files. I was unaware that DM would allow me to load the compressed archives. I will try this. Thank you for the great idea!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

I don't believe that was an attempt at an insult. The Blackberry devices are designed to have data plans attached to achieve their maximum potential - not having a data plan results in some creative workarounds as you have seen.

Try this thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/mac-...ir-option.html
Old 04-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #9
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Absolutely no insult intend. Just an acknowledgment and a statement of a fact. And trying to simplify the process.

The options are ...

1. Have a data plan and load the games and themes OTA (which is the most simple solution).

2. Don't have a data plan and use some creative workarounds as noted above to load the applications (which is potentially the most complicated solution).

3. Use the device the way that it is without loading applications and themes (also a simple solution).

4. Find applications that are available as ZIP files for installation with BlackBerry Desktop Manager. (Simple if you can find them, but it takes more searching. And the options will be more limited.)

And yes, once you extract the ZIP files, you would use BlackBerry Desktop Manager to load the application using the extracted ALX and COD files.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #10
xfile102

Thanks Rach. That makes sense. Most Mobile Users, only use about 60% of the total features of their phones, and I am no different. Not having a data plan though has not even remotely quelled my love for my Blackberry. And about the link you provided, that's what I explained I have been doing currently. Thanks though!
Old 04-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #11

Carrier: O2

Xfile: Now you find out, that blackberry is piece of really overpriced phone... Without dataplan, u can't do pretty a lot things, that u would like, or u can do it really hard... I would paid for BB twice much than I would pay for HTC... I'm really glad that I won BB, not bought it... Personally, I'm really disappointed...

Last edited by 1742; 04-11-2009 at 09:07 AM..
Old 04-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
xfile102

Default My Thoughts though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1742 View Post
Xfile: Now you find out, that blackberry is piece of really overpriced phone... Without dataplan, u can't do pretty a lot things, that u would like, or u can do it really hard... I would paid for BB twice much than I would pay for HTC... I'm really glad that I won BB, not bought it... Personally, I'm really disappointed...
So Sorry to hear that man. I am sad to hear you are so disappointed. I have found though, that unless you are an infantile teenage attention whore who has an incessant need to download stacks of annoying misogynistic rap tunes to shock people when you let it ring as long as possible when you are in public, or some other person plagued with an addiction to constantly be on the internet on a tiny phone screen, or lastly a Corporate Client (90% of BB Customer base till about 4 years ago), that you can live life VERY WELL enjoying the hell out of Thousands of feature on your BB WITHOUT a Data Plan.

LONG LIVE BB. The Blackberry is among the finest convergence devices EVER made.

Let's be honest, If I was in a position that I could not afford a real Internet Access Device like a Laptop or Netbook, and was sooooo addicted that I HAD TO HAVE High Speed internet on my phone, I would go with an iPhone HANDS DOWN. The finest Browsing experience to be had on a mobile. Browse, Scroll, Zoom, Scale, Navigate and Load 4 times faster than a Blackberry. And if you don't agree, you have not used one for more than 5 minutes. But FORGET Texting. Because I am frequently in situation at School and Work that are not conducive to me yapping loudly on a telephone so I can make sure everyone else know my business, Texting is my primary source of communication, to the tune of almost 7,000 a month. I challenge any iPhone user, or standard T9 user to match that and still have time to live life, kiss the kids, play a round or two and get some sleep. But that is MY situation. Everyone's circumstances differ. There are those that have Business Needs demanding a Data Plan. I am not one of them. Anyone who says a Blackberry is useless or an "overpriced phone" without a Data Plan is just a closed minded idiot. Just because it doesn't match your needs, well, You catch my drift. Blackberry owners are a proud and plentiful group. Making it one of the largest single phone user groups on the planet. And it had not been topped till the iPhone came around. I am PROUD to own a BB. I love it. Like any device, there are quirks to get used to.

And BTW... I have had 5 HTC's prior to this, a Touch, Wing, Dash, Shadow and a Tilt, and my BB Curve beats them hands down. The only phone I would consider replacing my BB with is the G1, because it brings my two favorite technologies together: QWERTY Keyboards and Touch Screens.

But man, I do love my Curve......
Old 04-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #13

Carrier: O2

You missing my point, I said I WON BB I get it for FREE not bought it. If I had a choice, I definitely would not buy BB. iPhone is overpriced phone too, you pay just for image, for Apple...

So, I'm studdying, I'm working too, I have 2 netbooks, 2 notebooks, 1 clasic PC and now 2 phones (old nokia N70, new BB 8310). Usage of my phone is texting, wich is on BB pretty good, MP3, also no problem and entertainment, wich is really poor (well, this is phone for work, so not a big surprise). But what I dislike are lies about phone... They say "it has GPS" but you can't use it unless u pay... They say "it has a lot of apps" but u can't install it unless u pay. They say "it has good email client" but guess what? And in this point, I'm dissapointed by this phone. The truth is that if I want to buy this phone I would search some informations about it and I wouldn't buy it... I belive, that this phone can be great for really bussy people, or really rich people (data plan in Czech Republic cost a lot of money) but I personally sell it to some idiot, who will be disappointed in future and buy some normal phone with normal OS better usage for me, better screen and everything, what is important for me (HTC).

I'm glad some1 is excited and happy for his phone .
Old 04-13-2009, 07:50 AM   #14
steakman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
PIN: 2826774b
Carrier: Telus-Personal/Rogers Work

You forgot to mention PIN....that my friend is one of the most awesome advantages of these phones...a built in e-mail client that I do believe, runs independant of any BES/BIS although I am not sure if PIN will work without a data plan..?? someone.??

I too would not give up my BB for any iPone or other so called "comparable device"...no way no how. Sorry to hear you are so dissapointed. Only thing I wish the 8830 had:

Time zone changes automatically...
Camera...

So now waiting for the Bold to be available on Bell...it IS coming. (3-4 months I hear)..although I am still not sure if the time zone change thing is addressed in this (9000) phone./

stk
Closed Thread