BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
mi_canuck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: UMA, Unlocked
Carrier: T-Mobile US
Question Email - Gmail syncing of contacts?

Please Login to Remove!

I have a gmail account setup on my BB (9700)... everything works great... when it set up for the first time, it even pulled it all my contacts from gmail - that was great!

I've got contacts checked as an option to sync in the email settings panel for my gmail account.

Question is, for updating contacts from the BB back to Gmail (on the server side), do I need to separately have Gmail Sync set to sync contacts (I use it to sync calendar events right now, not contacts - thinking I already have contacts set to sync in my gmail email settings)....

Does the built in email app, setup for gmail, only sync gmail contacts one way? ie. from server to BB? If I go in the contacts panel, then options, my gmail account is set to 'Yes' for wireless synchronization...

I just recently added a new contact to my BB, but it's not showing in Gmail when I log in via a computer... It's certainly not instantly updating, but I'm not even sure it will update at all...

Is having Google Sync turned on for contacts the only way to have syncing go from the BB back to the Gmail server?

thnx
Old 01-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
scottjb
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

My experience was it would update your contacts from the BB to Gmail Contacts, but it would take a while to do.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
mi_canuck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: UMA, Unlocked
Carrier: T-Mobile US

well... it seems with Google Sync, it's almost instantaneous... and doesn't seem to cause a duplication issue or anything like that.... so I'll rely on Googly Sync I guess.... works well...
Old 02-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Your referring to the BIS feature from your BIS account?

One the thing is registered for wireless sync navigation to options->advance->enterprise activation

It should connect up ...but the sync originally I had it took about ~12 hours the next morning).

But not before doubling my #contact account on web-based gmail account.

Which I then merged (thank god they added that tool).

Be advised you address/pin/bday and notes information will get turbo grabled (just like the old buggy contact sync that was released oh ~2 years ago).

Sync via bis or via the sync client itself is horrible if you actually store important stuff your blackberry "contact" card.

example:
google contact address = 1 big ass field
blackberry contact address field= 6 fields (address 1 &2,city, state, zip, country)

Google's solution= concatenate everything or just drop the fields period

@#$@#

And yes this was reported when the app was released back in Nov '08 and 4 other times when I tried the some of the upgrades over the last 2 years.
Closed Thread